A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: November 2019 Monthly Challenge: Your Signature Pizza  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
November 2019 Monthly Challenge: Your Signature Pizza
« on: October 31, 2019, 06:50:10 PM »
You love to make pizza, right? And eat pizza? And talk about pizza? And think about pizza?  Well, think about the pizza you make that represents what you most love about this passion we share.

Bake that pizza in November and post in this thread a description and, if you are so inclined, photos, videos, haikus, operas, whatever. It would be nice if you describe why your entry is your signature pizza. What is its inspiration or history?

No winners or prizes or rules (except it should be a pizza you bake in November - no reaching into your back catalog). And have fun!   

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
Re: November 2019 Monthly Challenge: Your Signature Pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 06:59:39 PM »
..... (except it should be a pizza you bake in November - no reaching into your back catalog)....

Can we do one we haven't done in years but, in fact, we bake this November?

What fun....  :)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »
Can we do one we haven't done in years but, in fact, we bake this November?

What fun....  :)

You can enter any November pizza you consider to be your signature pizza. One of the goals of these challenges is to get you to bake something you might not otherwise. You might include in your description why it's been so long since you baked this pizza. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 09:25:14 PM »
Can we enter a signature pizza even if it's one that we make quite often?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 08:06:50 PM »
It is not a pizza but it is a pizza-like substance.  I don't make it very often but I calling it my "signature pizza" because it is the only ingredient combo I came up with on my own.  A stromboli with a duxelles, applewood smoked ham and a bit of fontina.

My apologies for the photo!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 08:17:56 PM »
It is not a pizza but it is a pizza-like substance.  I don't make it very often but I calling it my "signature pizza" because it is the only ingredient combo I came up with on my own.  A stromboli with a duxelles, applewood smoked ham and a bit of fontina.

My apologies for the photo!

Your stromboli sounds great, Paul! Excellent entry! 

Just to clarify, "signature" doesn't have to mean something original you came with up. Entries for this month's challenge can be: the pizza you make that represents what you most love about this passion we share .

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 11:01:55 PM »
The Fancy Pants Mushroom

Crème fraiche base topped with sautéed mushrooms and mozzarella

I consider this pie a signature pie. I have seen variations of the crème fraiche base some time ago on the forum but haven’t seen this particular pie combination anywhere else. At least I’m not that I’m aware of it so currently feels like an original idea. Also, I’ve been making it for a while, I’d guess for at least 6 years with the first versions coming out of Blackstone pizza oven. Back then, goofy names for pizzas were the style (I think they still kind or are) and crème fraiche is basically fancy pants sour cream so I dubbed this pizza The Fancy Pants Mushroom. I still make it fairly regularly and I in my opinion, any leftover slices are also good cold the next day.

There have also been some variations on the theme sometimes I throw on a little oregano, sometimes the cheese is fresh mozzarella but I’m not sure anyone other than me notices the little changes. I’ve tried several different commercial version of crème fraiche and tried to make it a few times myself. So far, I like the Trader Joe’s creme fraiche the best. It seems to stand up to the heat and combines with the cheese to make a sauce. The mushrooms are cremini sautéed in olive oil until they give up their moisture and start to get a little color. Then some minced garlic goes in and gets stirred around until fragrant. A splash of white wine is then added and boiled off. Sometimes I add a pinch of oregano, sometimes I skip it. Any leftover mushrooms are a fantastic addition to an omelet (ask me how I know).

The dough is 63% hydration, 2.1% salt and 0.25% IDY and mixed by hand – combine, 20 minute rest, stretch/fold/little bit of kneading, slight rest, balled, light oil, bagged and then cold fermented for 48-72 hours. Right now, a 16ish inch pizza is 435g. It will probably last longer but after 72 hours chances are I turn the dough into bread or a Stromboli. Photos are from a Saturday, November 2nd bake.

1. Added the garlic to the sautéed mushrooms
2. Finished mushrooms
3. Dough with crème fraiche
4. Topped pizza
5. Baking in oven
6. The Fancy Pants Mushroom
7. Undercarriage
8. Crumb

And my signature pie haiku:

Fancy pants mushroom
My signature pizza pie
Try a slice, YUMMY!

Offline petef

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 01:25:16 AM »
Celebrating 1 year ago when I reversed my Type 2 diabetes by doing a combo of Keto Diet and Intermittent Fasting and in that process I learned to make reduced carb pizza and developed my own unique version that actually tastes like pizza without that cauliflower taste!

Since I cured my type 2 diabetes, I can now have regular pizza again, but just not every day as I used to do. Regular pizza once per month and the occasional reduced carb pizza where the satisfaction is more about the toppings than the crust.

Quick Summary:

* Finely ground fresh cauliflower, garlic, onions, combined with Salt & Vinegar and allowed to pickle for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Removes/hides the cauliflower taste.

* Cauliflower mixture is then squeezed out to reduce liquid and dehydrated in a hot no-stick fry pan for about 10 minutes until lightly browned.

* Dough ingredients include dehydrated/browned cauliflower, small amount of bread flour, IDY, Parmesan cheese, Psyllium Husks powder, Baking Soda, Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cheyenne Pepper, Olive Oil, Egg, and Water.

* Yes, it's a No-Rise dough, but let it rest 20 minutes before forming, assembling & baking because the texture does improve slightly. 

* Par-baked dough on pizza screen until browned, add toppings, and bake again until toppings baked to satisfaction.

Final result.. Pics tell the story.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »
The Fancy Pants Mushroom

Crème fraiche base topped with sautéed mushrooms and mozzarella

Looks good. That is a blob of crème fraiche on the left side of my duxelles (mushrooms, shallot, thyme) stromboli.  I like thyme with my mushrooms.

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 01:37:16 PM »
Looks good. That is a blob of crème fraiche on the left side of my duxelles (mushrooms, shallot, thyme) stromboli.  I like thyme with my mushrooms.
Thanks. I'll have to give thyme a try. I always have it around and should use it more often than I do.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »
Jon, your Fancy Pants Mushroom signature pie looks like a delicious labor of love. Great idea(s). Signature pie haiku lmao  :-D
-Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 08:43:35 PM »
Signature pizzas.

Norma

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 08:52:32 PM »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 09:36:21 PM »
Signature pizzas.

Norma

Norma,
Please describe these great pizzas. Why do these two in particular merit "signature" status? Thanks.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 10:21:14 PM »
First one is obvious....
But the second, pan pizza.... I'm curious to know too norma?

Both are beauties!!   :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 10:44:23 PM »
Norma,
Please describe these great pizzas. Why do these two in particular merit "signature" status? Thanks.

First one is obvious....
But the second, pan pizza.... I'm curious to know too norma?

Both are beauties!!   :chef:

Thanks Bill and Bob!

Those two are my signature pizzas because learned to make them here on the forum with many forum members help.  Of course they could use more work.  They are just my style, just like everyone has their own style of a handwriting signature.

Think I like cheese pizzas best, but also like different toppings at times. 

The first pizza is a regular cheese.  The second pizza has a little more flair.  It is a pan pizza with 4 kinds of cheese, my regular sauce, fresh tomatoes, red peppers and spinach.  There was a herb blend sprinkled on between the layers, and Pecorino Romano added.

This is what my one doctor had to say about the second pizza tonight. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4gVT1EF169/ If the arrow is clicked it shows another pizza somewhat like the first pizza I posted. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 10:59:06 PM »
I'll bet that veggie pan pizza is off the charts tasty... Sure hope to try it... One of these good ole days.
Thanks Norma... You got my vote! 😁

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 10:18:16 PM »
Here is my entry for this month - Cheesesteak Pan Pizza. It may seem strange that an insufferable Neapolitan pizza snob like me would submit a pan pizza. But I have been captivated by this style. The flavorful crust - crispy on the bottom, light and tender on the inside -  is what makes this such a special pizza for me. The toppings are inspired by cheesesteak grinders from a little sandwich shop on Cape Cod near where I worked many years ago - crispy little nuggets of rib-eye, garlicky mushrooms, diced onions. I like more than a few dashes of hot sauce after making.

Why is this my "Signature"?

Like Neapolitan pizza, it demands the hard work of finding the right combination of ingredients and methods. And like Neapolitan pizza, when you manage to hit that sweet spot, you're richly rewarded. And now, in addition to being an insufferable Neapolitan snob, I can be an insufferable pan pizza snob.

Offline petef

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 01:17:59 AM »
Here is my entry for this month - Cheesesteak Pan Pizza.
Delicious looking pizza and I must compliment you on the excellent video production! It's quick, detailed and to the point. I especially like how you sped up the motion while narrating over top of the video. Most excellent. Nice job!   

One thing about those pan pizzas, it sure takes a lot of poking to get the dough to spread out to the pan's edges.

--pete--

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 06:32:37 AM »

One thing about those pan pizzas, it sure takes a lot of poking to get the dough to spread out to the pan's edges.

--pete--

I use Crisco in my DS pans, much less poking required.
Hans

wordpress