A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: November 2019 Monthly Challenge: Your Signature Pizza  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: November 2019 Monthly Challenge: Your Signature Pizza
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 07:38:04 AM »
I use Crisco in my DS pans, much less poking required.

Thanks. I'll try that next time.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »
That looks really good, Bill. Looks like I have another topping combination to put on the to-do list.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »
I use Crisco in my DS pans, much less poking required.

That is true and I do the same for DS and other styles, mostly because it is less trouble.  However, there is something to be said for that crisped-up-in olive oil flavor!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »
That is true and I do the same for DS and other styles, mostly because it is less trouble.  However, there is something to be said for that crisped-up-in olive oil flavor!

Clarified butter isn't too shabby either.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 11:22:28 AM »
Who else is going to enter their signature pizza? The month is over half over.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »
Hereís my favorite pie of all.
It was inspired ( stolen) from a Tacconellis pie that was the gold standard, back in the day.
Iíd like to think Iíve improved it a bit, with sliced mozzarella on the skin, topped with wilted baby spinach cooked in a garlic infused canola oil, drained and lightly salted torn San Marzano tomatoes, on a light and airy Neapolitan dough cooked in my WFO, finished with a drizzle of EVO and a grating of Reggiano or Grana Padano.

Perry
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:29:51 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 02:28:58 PM »
A very handsome pie, Perry. :chef:

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 09:43:13 PM »
My favorite special of this summer was a Zucchini Parm pizza.    Slow cooked marinara, local zucchini dredged in egg wash and breadcrumbs then fried,  fresh mozzarella, ricotta, local basil, parmigiano reggiano

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 06:43:54 AM »
My favorite special of this summer was a Zucchini Parm pizza.    Slow cooked marinara, local zucchini dredged in egg wash and breadcrumbs then fried,  fresh mozzarella, ricotta, local basil, parmigiano reggiano

Wow. Going to have to make that one for this missus.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »
Wow. Going to have to make that one for this missus.

Craig, im sure Calabrian chili oil would be terrible on this one :)

Bill, just read the start of the thread and I realized this had to be baked this month!! well I blew that one, but its a good topping combo so enjoy.

I forgot to mention to make sure the fried zucchini goes on after the sauce/cheese so it can crisp up.   Pretty obvious but some of my employees were messing that up at first. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:53:38 AM by scott r »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2019, 06:40:56 AM »
Hen of Woods pan pizza.

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 08:31:05 PM »
Anyone who knows me will know what's coming  :)

14" NY from my kitchen oven

Matt

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 09:42:55 PM »
Anyone who knows me will know what's coming  :)

14" NY from my kitchen oven

Very nice! :chef:  It is certainly a signature pie.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:48:41 PM by parallei »

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »
I just see this thread!!  :(
I'm in pizza training this week, I'll see if I can do something!!
ďLearn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artistĒ - Pablo Picasso

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »
Since November is coming to a close, yesterday I thought that I would make one of my favorite frozen pizzas. And, as it so happens, the pizza is a "Signature" Select pizza. That is a house brand used by supermarkets in the Albertson's chain for various products made especially for them, one of which is a line of pizzas. In my case, I decided to make the Signature Select Margherita pizza. Before I found that particular pizza, I had not seen a frozen Margherita pizza in the stores where I shop. So, I view their Margherita pizza to be their attempt at a classic Margherita pizza with a dough, tomatoes and cheese (which includes mozzarella and grated cheese) and extra virgin olive oil. The pizza also includes basil but it is used in such minuscule amounts as not to be detected in the finished crust. If one has fresh basil on hand, that would be the form of basil to use on the pizza.

There are a few things that I like about the Signature Select Margherita pizza. In addition to its simplicity, the product has a very clean label for a frozen pizza. It is not loaded with all kinds of preservatives, additives and other chemicals. Also, its Nutrition Facts are in line with a healthy product, again as compared with most frozen pizzas. The first two photos show these features. Another thing that I like is that it takes only 15-20 minutes to make the pizza, using my standard electric home oven. So, when the mood strikes me for a quick pizza, I am over and done in no time. Finally, the price of the pizza is attractive, especially when I buy several of them when they are put on special. That means about $2.50-$3.00 each. The pizza I made yesterday cost $2.50.

My usual practice is to doctor up the pizza with more tomatoes and cheese. I use a fresh vine-ripened tomato and dice it. For the added cheese, I use a stick of mozzarella cheese and I also dice that up into small pieces. I then bake the pizza as called for in the instructions on the pizza box. But yesterday, I decided to first defrost the pizza even though the instructions say not to do that. Rather, the pizza is supposed to be baked directly on a middle rack of the oven. But, this time, I wanted to see if the crust would be more tender than when the pizza is baked on the middle rack of the oven.

After defrosting the pizza, I saw that the bottom crust was a pale brown color, which indicated that the crust had been slightly parbaked. But the top of the crust was a normal white color. But I proceeded nonetheless to add the diced tomato and cheese to the top of the pizza. The third photo shows what the pizza looked like before I removed it from its wrapper, and also the tomato and added cheese that I used before dicing them. I also weighed the pizza before and after adding the tomato and additional cheese. The basic pizza itself weighed 11.9 ounces. With the added tomato and cheese, it weighed 15.5 ounces.

Before baking the pizza, I put it on a 12" pizza screen, which is the same size as the pizza. The pizza was baked on the middle oven rack of my oven at 450 degrees F for about 10 minutes. I then moved the pizza to the top oven rack for about an additional 2-3 minutes to further bake the top of the pizza. The fourth photo shows the baked pizza. Its weight coming out of the oven was 13.4 ounces. After cooling the pizza a bit, I cut it into slices. In the past, my practice was to party cut the pizza because the pizza crust was more like a cracker style crust. As it turns out, the latest crust was also more like a cracker style crust.

The last photo shows a typical slice and what the bottom of the pizza looks like. My practice with this pizza was to dress the slice with a glog of extra virgin olive oil, and fresh rosemary and oregano herbs from my garden. I then grated additional grated Parmesan cheese on top of the slice. This is also in line with what I do with the Signature Select Margherita pizza baked in the recommended fashion.

I concluded from the latest exercise that I actually like the Signature Select Margherita pizza better when following the recommended instructions and using the family cut. And it takes less time and effort to make the pizza using the recommended instructions. So, that is what I will do in future efforts with that pizza.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »

Boy, I sure didn't see that one coming! 😎
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2019, 02:49:09 PM »

Boy, I sure didn't see that one coming! 😎
Bob,

I am always on the lookout for frozen pizzas that are healthy, or can be made healthier. Signature Select also has a barbeque recipe chicken pizza that is also good, but it has a lot more sugar, in multiple forms, including sucrose, molasses, corn syrup, dextrose, and pineapple juice concentrate. I usually add more chicken to the pizza to soften the sweetness and to add more protein. The whole pizza weighs more so I can get more meals out of it. And the base price is also $2.50-$3.00 when on sale.

Today, I reheated a few leftover slices of yesterday's pizza and I actually liked them better than the fresh ones I had yesterday. And the crust seemed softer. All things considered it wasn't bad considering that all it cost me was about $3.00 :-D.

Peter

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2019, 05:14:30 PM »
And here I didnít enter because my idea for my signature pie was to write my initials TD in pepperoni slices in big block letters.  :-D
-Tony

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2019, 09:37:17 PM »
And here I didnít enter because my idea for my signature pie was to write my initials TD in pepperoni slices in big block letters.  :-D

Hey... Why not; that'll work T!    :chef:

One day left.....🥧
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2019, 10:25:22 PM »

You should have done it with pepperoni!

wordpress