A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Green Mountain Pellet Grill with Pizza Insert  (Read 936 times)

Offline midwestchilehead

• I Love Pizza!
    • Midwest Chileheads
Green Mountain Pellet Grill with Pizza Insert
« on: July 15, 2018, 01:40:20 PM »
I just bought a Green Mountain Daniel Boone and bought the pizza insert. Maiden voyage tonight. I will take some pics if things turn out. Has anyone else used one? I intend to dial in the cooker temperature to 325 F to start.
From somewhere in the Midwest

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Green Mountain Pellet Grill with Pizza Insert
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »
325F is death for pizza  :-X  I looked at the insert, and it says it will hit temps upwards of 800F. I'd start with at least 600-650F for a 4-5ish minute pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline midwestchilehead

• I Love Pizza!
    • Midwest Chileheads
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:07:39 PM »
I actually went lower, 250 F, but should have gone the other way. The stone was about 650. I cooked the first one 8 minutes and the second one six minutes. Tops were overdone, and they were a little doughy just under the toppings.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »
Where are you measuring the temperature? Generally, when people here refer to temp, it's deck temp unless otherwise notes.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline midwestchilehead

• I Love Pizza!
    • Midwest Chileheads
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 01:10:46 AM »
I set the cooker temperature at 250. The deck temperature (right in the middle of the stone) was 650 measured with an infared gun prior to the first pie. I didn't take a temperature reading prior to the second pie.

Offline MikeMcM1956

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:23:55 PM »
Because of the design of the insert, setting the grill at 325F will give you a stone temperature of ~650F. It's an incredible accessory, only used mine twice so far but loving the results.
325F is death for pizza  :-X  I looked at the insert, and it says it will hit temps upwards of 800F. I'd start with at least 600-650F for a 4-5ish minute pizza.

Offline MotoPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 01:08:50 PM »
I have one of these as well. I set it to 400 deg. I get very good results with some caveats. The stone temp is too high relative to the air temp so I have to raise the pizza off the stone for the last 30 sec to get the best crust. There is no radient heat source from the top, like a flame, so not the classic leoparding of a "real" oven. I use a 65% hydration two day biga dough. That said, I am still very happy with ths setup given the grill's other capabilities.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:10:53 PM by MotoPizza »

Offline joyce_h

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 04:17:03 AM »
I just bought a Green Mountain Daniel Boone and bought the pizza insert. Maiden voyage tonight. I will take some pics if things turn out. Has anyone else used one? I intend to dial in the cooker temperature to 325 F to start.

I set the grill at 350 resulting in a stone temperature around 700, and my first two Pizzas were over cooked.
I turned the temperature down to 300 and the stone was around 575. My third and fourth Pizzas were cooked better, but there was a residual burnt taste from the stone.
For my next attempt I tried to set the grill that so the stone is in the 550, also changed the pellets to prevent any issues with temp swings. Also improved my timing, and that's what I've got.
Trial and error, midwestchilehead.

wordpress