A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Grande Cheese $25 for 5lbs? Is it worth it?  (Read 322 times)

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
Grande Cheese $25 for 5lbs? Is it worth it?
« on: November 07, 2019, 02:28:27 PM »
Ok so I live in an area where getting different kinds of high quality low moisture mozzarella cheese is not really the easiest.

My local supply cash and carry places have Great Lakes shredded which I usually get which is like $2.25/lb
They also have block Great Lakes. They have a shredded Sargento for like $3.19/lb and a Shredded Galbani but that has to be purchased by the case not in 5lb bags.

I went to a local pizza shop called Cams. They advertise they only use Grande Cheese. I ordered a pizza from them a few months back and I was not impressed. I did not really like it to be honest. I don't want to blame it on the cheese but more so the dough and sauce. They likely use vegetable oil and sugar and such.

I am very particular on pizza now that I make my own and don't really like any other pizza now. I use very little EVOO and malt.

At any rate this Cams will sell me a 5lb bag but it's $5/lb $25 for a 5lb bag (it comes in small chunks). Should I pay that much or just buy the cheaper cheese I usually get. Sometimes I just buy Wegman's brand for $11.99 5/lb.

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Grande Cheese $25 for 5lbs? Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
Totally not worth it at that price. A couple of pizza joints locally sell whole loaves for $2.79-$2.99/Lb; and even then, there are better alternatives. (IMNSHO; YETYWO  >:D)

(FWIW, I've never run across Grande in small chunks, unless they're scraps or leftover ends of loaves. Not saying Grande doesn't sell it in chunks, but it's hard to see how it would make sense from a cost or efficiency standpoint.)

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 03:56:55 PM »
Maybe my wording was not the best. They would be selling me a 5lb bag of diced cheese. At any rate I think $5/lb is more than I want to pay. I would buy at $3/lb maybe a tad more?

What does (IMNSHO; YETYWO) stand for?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:58:44 PM by icemanxp300 »

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:00:50 PM »
Maybe my wording was not the best. They would be selling me a 5lb bag of diced cheese. At any rate I think $5/lb is more than I want to pay. I would buy at $3/lb maybe a tad more?

Ah ... diced rather than chunks. Even more not worth it since you typically need to used more diced (so fewer pies/Lb) to get the same coverage (area) as shredded. At $3 and change/Lb, I'd be looking at Saputo Gold.

What does (IMNSHO; YETYWO) stand for?

In my not so humble opinion; you're entitled to your WRONG opinion. (Hence, the  >:D)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »
Only way to find out if its worth it to you is to try it. But if you're  not going to be comfortable paying $5/lb long-term then maybe you're better off not knowing what you're missing. You may have answered the question just by asking it.

For me it'd be an obvious yes, but I have specific goals I'm chasing would pay $5 for galbani and $9 for boars head if I wasnt sourcing grande.

Only thing I'd be concerned about is if it's part skim. I'd want whole milk or the 50/50 blend.

For reference, below is one of my slices...

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 05:44:43 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »
BTW, if you're not an anti-Wally World snob, try the Great Value Mozz in the pillow pack (see https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=54892.msg582383#msg582383 for pics). It's pretty darn good (not just "good for the price"). I've done blind side-by-side tests between several national, regional, and store brands at my pizza making classes (participants taste and rank them without knowing the brands being used), and GV is consistently participants' first or second choice.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 07:03:44 PM »
Me, I'd give it a shot. Might not be worth it in the end, but maybe you really like it.

When I look at the cost of ingredients for one of my cheese pizzas, the main cost is the cheese. Say you used a pound on each pizza. 5 pizzas you like for not too much over $25 is a pretty good deal. Granted not as good as 5 for $12, but still a good deal.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 07:29:16 PM »
BTW, if you're not an anti-Wally World snob, try the Great Value Mozz in the pillow pack

I actually use that quite frequently when I don't feel like driving for the Great Lakes. I actually prefer the Great Value brand for freezing because the shred is larger and it is easier to break apart. However at this point it doesn't matter a whole lot because soon as I get the cheese I just toss the left over into 1 lb freezer bags. Then pull them out and unthaw, way better than chipping away at a frozen block of cheese.

My initial question was more so questioning whether or not Grande was that expensive of a cheese. I guess not, it appears the pizza shop is charging me quite the mark-up.

I'll look around but I don't think Saputo Gold is in my area at least not for a cash and carry deal anyhow.

I tell you 3-4 years ago my local supply house teased me with a 5lb brick of what he said was Russo cheese from Wisconsin. Not sure if it is spelled that way but that's what it sounded like when he said it. Best cheese I bought, it was like Polly-O. Super rich, low moisture, cooked up awesome. He sadly doesn't even carry it anymore. He likely sold me it as he was phasing it out and didn't mind selling me 1 brick, who knows.

Don't even get me going on Polly-O. There is a plant about 2 hrs south of me that makes the Low moisture Polly-O but I can't even buy it from anywhere. Extremely annoying.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:30:55 PM by icemanxp300 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 08:01:43 PM »
The block market is very high right now. grande is over 3.00 per pound right now. it is supposed to drop in December.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 09:02:15 PM »
5 bucks a lb is still a whoooole lot cheaper than having to mail order.
How many pizzas do you make a month?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 09:51:09 PM »
Don't even get me going on Polly-O. There is a plant about 2 hrs south of me that makes the Low moisture Polly-O but I can't even buy it from anywhere. Extremely annoying.

Around here, Wally World carries Polly-O. (So does Restaurant Depot.) In principle, any Wally World can get it since it's on the corporate approved list, even if they don't stock it. It can't hurt to ask.

You can also check price and availability for stores in your area at walmart inventory checker. Click the Walmart SKU finder link, type in "Polly-O Mozzarella," select the type (whole milk, part skim, low fat, etc.), fill in your zip code and click "Check Inventory." For me, it returns 18 hits w/in a 25 mile radius.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »
Only way to find out if its worth it to you is to try it. But if you're  not going to be comfortable paying $5/lb long-term then maybe you're better off not knowing what you're missing. You may have answered the question just by asking it.

For me it'd be an obvious yes, but I have specific goals I'm chasing would pay $5 for galbani and $9 for boars head if I wasnt sourcing grande.

Only thing I'd be concerned about is if it's part skim. I'd want whole milk or the 50/50 blend.

For reference, below is one of my slices...

^^^

It will bring the cost of a cheesy 16" pie up a $1.50 or so to about $3.50 for the pie.  That's cheaper than cat food.
John

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 10:26:21 PM »
I would try a Bag of Grande Dice for $25.00 to see if you like it.

I buy my Grande Shredded in a case of 6 5lb bags for around $78 - $82 per case
and I freeze the bags till I need one.I even give a few bags of cheese aways to friends when
I go and buy 2 cases at a time.....Grandes the way to go if you have a cash and carry distributor.....JT

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 11:28:52 PM »
Around here, Wally World carries Polly-O. (So does Restaurant Depot.) In principle, any Wally World can get it since it's on the corporate approved list, even if they don't stock it. It can't hurt to ask.

They do carry Polly-O but not the low moisture and I have asked them to get it and it was a no go. I can buy the 16oz they call "chunk" for $4.48 but it's wet. Granted I have just let it sit in fridge overnight to dry but I would prefer to get the low moisture. What I want is the whole milk low moisture like this.

http://www.sidarifoods.com/catalog/item/0070

I think before I buy 5lbs of Grande diced for $25 I would prefer to just buy 2lbs of Polly-O for $9 and shred it. My area just sucks in General for decent Cheese at a reasonable price. The Great Lakes is nice but only if you have a longer bake. That cheese gets richer the more it cooks. Need at least 9 minutes to really pull out the flavor.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 05:42:15 AM »
They do carry Polly-O but not the low moisture and I have asked them to get it and it was a no go. I can buy the 16oz they call "chunk" for $4.48 but it's wet. Granted I have just let it sit in fridge overnight to dry but I would prefer to get the low moisture. What I want is the whole milk low moisture like this.

http://www.sidarifoods.com/catalog/item/0070

I actually agree with this regarding pollyo...I've tried mightily to get a block like that, but could only find cases of it. The 1lb retail version is different and wet.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:49:52 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 05:51:51 AM »
If you can find it, Saputo Lugano is the driest whole milk mozzarella I've encountered. Excellent cheese, melts beautifully, great flavor, good stretch and texture.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

wordpress