A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough burning from outer edge.. Pics attached  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Tdot2Diego

• I Love Pizza!
Dough burning from outer edge.. Pics attached
« on: November 08, 2019, 01:14:58 AM »
Hi,
New to Pizza making I have a ooni Koda, I heat the stone to 400-420c my dough is 00 Caputo 65% water 3% salt, I have tried letting dough rise in fridge for 2 to 24 to 48 to 72 hours same result (my dough calculator link below for all measurements inc yeast) . I use instant yeast.
My crust at the bottom is always burnt all around the edges only.  I tried 65% and 60% water, little bit of oil to coat the top, no oil. I also bought the ooni perforated peel incase it was too much flour.
I have tried putting heat to medium once inside but still burns only the outer edge.  Also have fully cleaned my stone in case left over flour
for furhter info: 50-54% humidity at home, I live in southern California. 
Please help

(PIC OF PIZZA WAS ONLY 3 HOUR RISE)  but i get same result with longer rises
https://www.stadlermade.com/pizza-dough-calculator/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:26:20 AM by Tdot2Diego »

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: Dough burning from outer edge.. Pics attached
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 01:27:02 AM »
I have the same problem, it can be due to many reasons, I'm also analyzing. It happens when you have air under the dough; when your toppings are not heavy enough; when you have too much dusting flour...
I had this problem when I used my friend's Roccbox, so I also think that small-chamber ovens don't help.
Wait to see other members' replies.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:17:09 AM »
I've been wondering about this effect too.  I think it might be related to a heavy cornicione (a lot of dough in the cornicione), but this is just a working theory :)
Jack,

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:55:52 PM »
I've been wondering about this effect too.  I think it might be related to a heavy cornicione (a lot of dough in the cornicione), but this is just a working theory :)

Yes, the heavy cornicione of course, it doesn't help. Then the very hot stone, the burnt part sticks to the stone making it even more burnt. I think the material of the stone is a (big?) part of the problem.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline schold

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 03:11:50 AM »
You will always get more charring in that area.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Elkaybay

• #pizzalife
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
Is it burned like this all around the pizza, or just on one side?

This can happen after you turn the pizza (mid-bake) and do not place it in the exact same spot it was before turning it. If you place it back with a slight offset, the edge of the pizza will touch very hot stone (that hasn't been cooled by the pizza during the first half of the bake) and will burn the bottom immediately.

Offline Tdot2Diego

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
Hmm I will try that.. It is burned all around... But it may be because I'm turning it and not putting it on same spot therefore a fresh hot part of the stone every time I rotate

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
Hmm I will try that.. It is burned all around... But it may be because I'm turning it and not putting it on same spot therefore a fresh hot part of the stone every time I rotate
Do you use caputo 00 for the bench and peel?
00 flours are quite expensive here compared to normal flours so I don't buy much of it.
Last night I used my last kilo to make dough, then realised I only had normal flour for the bench and peel.
I did a 90 second margherita on the 420C bricks. It was perfect on top and inside the crust, quite happy with it, but guess what, it had a black arse just like yours.

Offline Tdot2Diego

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 07:53:45 PM »
Yeah I use Caputo  00 the red bag for everything

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
I think Craig recently commented on a similar post, that the reason may be that the center of the pie is lighter in weight than the rim so it will get a "lift" off the floor from the extreme heat, while the rim is constantly on the flour. 

Offline patnugent

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 09:00:06 AM »
If you lower the heat to medium after you launch, the stone is way hotter than the air temp, so the bottom cooks fast/more than the top. After a few weeks of experimenting with my Koda, I've started to just leave the heat on full blast for the entire cook, but keep a very watchful eye, rotate it after the first 20 seconds, and then every 10-15 seconds after that for a total cook time of 70-90 seconds.

Offline BostonJohn13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
I think Craig recently commented on a similar post, that the reason may be that the center of the pie is lighter in weight than the rim so it will get a "lift" off the floor from the extreme heat, while the rim is constantly on the flour.
I'm seeing a similar lift off the floor for lighter topped pizzas such as a marinara. I try to get the turning peel under as quickly as I can to release the air pocket.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 01:44:47 PM »
I don't know exactly why, but I think shaking the pizza off the peel makes it worse and a quick snap minimizes it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Thomkup

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 07:47:46 AM »
The stock stone in the Ooni Koda is not as good as biscotto saputo stones which you find in pretty much every neapolitan pizzeria.
I got a Saputo biscotto for my Ooni Koda, and it made wonders.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:57:15 AM by Thomkup »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 09:44:55 AM »
Drop your floor to the celsius equivalent of 750 degrees.i use a cast iron skillet to reduce my floor temperature. that allows you to heat higher so the front floor by the opening has a higher temperature. try to turn at 15 to 20 seconds. this should help. the saputo floor would make huge difference, but they are hard to get in the United States

Offline Cajunman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »
Do you turn the pizza in the oven or do you remove it to the hearth, turn it then place it back in the same spot? A well respected pizzaiolo insists that turning the pie in the oven flash heats the bottom when you introduce air to it. He removes the pie, turns it then puts it back in the same spot to finish cooking.

wordpress