A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The real NYC sicilian  (Read 1478 times)

Offline JohnGahan

• I Love Pizza!
The real NYC sicilian
« on: February 25, 2019, 05:32:52 PM »
Looking for the original recipe of the NY sicilian.  went to prince st and scarrs, they're not what it was.  Anyone have a recollection of the real thing?

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The real NYC sicilian
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »
https://theartofpizzamaking.com/sicilian-pizza-recipe-authentic/

scroll down to the final pic of the page, that's what it used to look like in a good many places.   The cooked square is puffy and still moist, a bit of gummy (you dont get this if you parbake naked w/o sauce... cuz then you're just baking bread and then topping w/ sauce), and with a slight dough tang.   

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 11:58:43 AM »
Looking for the original recipe of the NY sicilian.  went to prince st and scarrs, they're not what it was.  Anyone have a recollection of the real thing?

Your correct that things are changing in some pizzerias.  Prince is a bit closer to the old school Sicilian I remember in NYC from the 80's, but your right even that is a bit different.   Scarr's is doing its own thing for sure.  Here are 3 pointers.

1). All trumps flour was the most popular.  It is a bromated flour, and that makes a different pizza, especially Sicilian, than the non bromated flours you are starting to see used now.

2) Dough was lower hydration than Scarr's and many of the newer Sicilian spots (although price street looks to be lower than scarr's).     Try something in the high 50's for hydration.  I would start at 58% hydration.

3) as mentioned, the naked par bake was not big... I think most places started with a light coating of just sauce on the first bake, and then added cheese and sometimes more sauce after the first bake.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »
https://theartofpizzamaking.com/sicilian-pizza-recipe-authentic/

scroll down to the final pic of the page, that's what it used to look like in a good many places.   The cooked square is puffy and still moist, a bit of gummy (you dont get this if you parbake naked w/o sauce... cuz then you're just baking bread and then topping w/ sauce), and with a slight dough tang.
Is this you, David? ;D

If so, welcome back. I recall many of our exchanges about the NY style pizza. That was from 2005-2007. And your last post was in 2011.

I hope that all is well with you.

Peter

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress