A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Fundamentals of a Crispy Bottom?  (Read 475 times)

Offline Bende

Fundamentals of a Crispy Bottom?
« on: November 13, 2019, 02:46:11 PM »
Hey guys,

What would you say are the basics of accomplishing a firm, crispy underside to Siclian or similar pan bake method?  Something I'm always striving for and never quite satisfied with.

Believe I'm well equipped with the right Detroit Style seasoned pans, but more interested in dough approach / hydration, oil vs. butter (crisco?), cooking methods, or other aspects I'm not thinking about.

Much appreciated, thanks guys,

Ben

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
Re: Fundamentals of a Crispy Bottom?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 05:27:17 PM »
For a crisp bottom, use plenty of oil in the pan.

Offline bowlyou

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
I do a thin coating of crisco, then oil and then once the pizza is almost done I take it out of the pan and bake it directly on my steel for a few minutes

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 02:06:24 PM »
Best Practice: Bake it twice

Alt: use as low an oven temp as practical so as to keep it in the oven as long as possible.

Also the dough should be well-kneaded in any case.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:08:55 PM by Jose L. Piedra »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 12:23:57 PM »
Yours is one of the beat topic names I have seen, Bende. There can be no confusion about what kind of help youíre looking for - and itís a topic many people wonder about.

Since you already have suitable pans the only thing I can add to the advice others have given is play with the percentage of water your dough has. I canít blanketly say ďuse more water,Ē of course, because I have no idea what you are doing. There is probably a point where higher hydration and lower oven temps will not work well together but I donít know where those points intersect. I agree with trying to keep it in the oven longer and would probably try that before changing my dough. Good luck.
-Tony

Offline IEatPizzaByThePie

• Everybody knows the rules.
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:45:25 PM »
Oven position cannot be overstated. I could not get a nicely browned, crisp crust in my blue steel until I moved it to the bottom.

Although not optimal, if you have a large cast iron skillet, you can finish off in that. Have it pre-heated, then add a little bit of oil and give your pieces just a couple minutes to lightly "fry" the crust.
"Who the hell eats two cookies? I eat Fig Newtons by the sleeve. Two sleeves is a serving size!"