A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Doughs with Ischia starter biga  (Read 2670 times)

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Doughs with Ischia starter biga
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2019, 05:40:01 PM »
Norma, your pizza’s look fantastic! If I may ask, how mature is the Ischia when you add it to the mix (when was the last feeding prior to use?)

JB

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2019, 06:59:00 PM »
Norma, your pizza’s look fantastic! If I may ask, how mature is the Ischia when you add it to the mix (when was the last feeding prior to use?)

JB

Thanks JB!  What to you mean by how mature is the Ischia when I add it to the mix?  Do you mean the lastest Ischia biga I posted, or ones before?  The lower the hydration it seems like the Ischia biga fed with different flours stays up for a very long while.  Maybe cause it is a biga though.  Still not sure how long/mature other bigas are before adding to mix.  Maybe cause it is a lower hydration it doesn't show much signs of falling at all.

Even the white biga I tried, which wasn't even a biga, but some less hydration than normally used, has stayed almost constant for over a week.

Still trying to understand everything.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »
Although the pizza's tasted good, Not as good as previous attempts.Any suggestions?

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2019, 08:13:54 PM »
Norma

Offline JBfromLI

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2019, 08:04:46 PM »
Thanks JB!  What to you mean by how mature is the Ischia when I add it to the mix?  Do you mean the lastest Ischia biga I posted, or ones before?  The lower the hydration it seems like the Ischia biga fed with different flours stays up for a very long while.  Maybe cause it is a biga though.  Still not sure how long/mature other bigas are before adding to mix.  Maybe cause it is a lower hydration it doesn't show much signs of falling at all.

Even the white biga I tried, which wasn't even a biga, but some less hydration than normally used, has stayed almost constant for over a week.

Still trying to understand everything.

Norma
I’m trying too! I probably make it too complicated

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »
I’m trying too! I probably make it too complicated

JBfromLI,

What are your results?  Yes, probably making thing too complicated for me too.  Tried something different today.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2019, 10:31:27 PM »
Did a straight mix today.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2019, 10:33:57 PM »
Ischia starter went back into fridge after feeding once last week and fed it twice before using today.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2019, 05:59:40 AM »
Ischia biga doughs worked out well this week.

Really didn't think it would be a problem, but two customers that ordered pizzas didn't want any pizzas made with these doughs.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2019, 06:01:18 AM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2019, 06:02:37 AM »
Norma
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 06:04:19 AM by norma427 »

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2019, 02:11:13 PM »
Why didn't they want the pizza?  They didn't like the taste?
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2019, 07:06:51 PM »
Why didn't they want the pizza?  They didn't like the taste?

Jack,

The one customer said his younger son wouldn't like a sourdough crust.  Said it really isn't sour at all, and just adds a subtle different taste and texture.  He purchased one with the ischia starter and one without.  He has my phone number and hasn't called me, so guess his son might have liked it.  :-\

The other customer said he didn't like anything with a natural starter or sourdough.  Said he likes my regular pizza dough crusts and why change.  Explained again, but think it would be a problem in my area to try and keep explaining how the crust would be different with the ischia starter.  He did purchase it, but don't know how he liked it.  :-\

Think far too many people associate a natural starter with a crust that tastes somewhat sour, something like sourdough bread.  At least it seems that way in where I live.

Norma

Offline PizzaJerk

• May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.
    • Instagram
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2019, 11:09:40 PM »
Jack,

The one customer said his younger son wouldn't like a sourdough crust.  Said it really isn't sour at all, and just adds a subtle different taste and texture.  He purchased one with the ischia starter and one without.  He has my phone number and hasn't called me, so guess his son might have liked it.  :-\

The other customer said he didn't like anything with a natural starter or sourdough.  Said he likes my regular pizza dough crusts and why change.  Explained again, but think it would be a problem in my area to try and keep explaining how the crust would be different with the ischia starter.  He did purchase it, but don't know how he liked it.  :-\

Think far too many people associate a natural starter with a crust that tastes somewhat sour, something like sourdough bread.  At least it seems that way in where I live.

Norma

I wouldn't even tell them. From my experience it opens up more issues for no reason. The change in flavor is so subtle that the vast majority would never know.

Sometimes when I've made the mistake of getting into a conversation like that of trying to explain and falling upon stubborn ears really takes a little of my mojo away so I avoid getting into it too much so I can stay at a high level of investment in myself for the sake of the craft.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2019, 07:19:25 AM »
I wouldn't even tell them. From my experience it opens up more issues for no reason. The change in flavor is so subtle that the vast majority would never know.

^^^

Maybe it's like when Coca-Cola introduced New Coke, people wanted the original. Many probably come to the stand for "Norma's Famous Pizza" and don't want to try something different even though it may be better.
Hans

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2019, 07:23:13 AM »

Sometimes when I've made the mistake of getting into a conversation like that of trying to explain and falling upon stubborn ears really takes a little of my mojo away so I avoid getting into it too much so I can stay at a high level of investment in myself for the sake of the craft.

Anthony,

Your advise is very good not to tell them if I offer more of the ischia pizzas.  Thanks for giving me your experiences, that it opens up more issues for no reason.  :) You are right that the change in flavor is so subtle that the vast majority would never know.

I guess I made the mistake of telling customers, cause the last few times customers were really open to trying the ischia pizzas.  Guess they were pizza geeks or something.  :-D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2019, 07:30:34 AM »
^^^

Maybe it's like when Coca-Cola introduced New Coke, people wanted the original. Many probably come to the stand for "Norma's Famous Pizza" and don't want to try something different even though it may be better.

Hans,

You are probably right!   ;D  Even the man that is a standholder across from me (that sings to me each Tuesday morning, "It's Pizza Tuesday" and purchases pizzas from me each week, was not happy I sold him a pizza with the ischia starter.  He said my regular dough is a lot better.  Guess it would be better to not tell anyone.

On the other hand some customers really wanted to try the ischia pizzas, and said they were so much better than my other ones.

Guess I won't say anything anymore if I keep making ischia dough pizzas.   :-D

Norma

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2019, 06:31:33 AM »
So it was probably mostly prejudice..  ???

I must admit that I never really liked what is sold as sourdough bread.  I associated it with a dense sour tasting bread.  Though since I've started making it myself my opinion has changed radically, in fact I vastly prefer my sourdough bread to bread made with yeast.. :)

I did make pizza a few times from sourdough, but as I'm already challenged by the process, I've thought that sourdough introduces yet more variables and so far I've preferred to use fresh yeast.  It's still in the master plan to try more extensively some day when I've dominated the normal process.  There is so much to learn, and it goes very slowly when only baking a few times a week..
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2019, 09:04:03 AM »
So it was probably mostly prejudice..  ???

I must admit that I never really liked what is sold as sourdough bread.  I associated it with a dense sour tasting bread.  Though since I've started making it myself my opinion has changed radically, in fact I vastly prefer my sourdough bread to bread made with yeast.. :)

I did make pizza a few times from sourdough, but as I'm already challenged by the process, I've thought that sourdough introduces yet more variables and so far I've preferred to use fresh yeast.  It's still in the master plan to try more extensively some day when I've dominated the normal process.  There is so much to learn, and it goes very slowly when only baking a few times a week..

Jack,

Yes, think it was because of customers were thinking the crust would be sour, but am not sure.  Maybe they never tasted any breads or pizzas using a starter.  Glad to hear you opinion has change radically, and you now prefer your sourdough bread to bread made with yeast.

Yes, making pizzas with sourdough can be challenging, and adds more variables.  Even in this thread I have different results, but then am trying different things. 

There is always so much to learn.  You are doing a great job!  :)

Norma