A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizzeria Lui, Lakewood CO  (Read 261 times)

Offline dvsntt

• I Love Pizza!
Pizzeria Lui, Lakewood CO
« on: December 16, 2019, 09:52:01 AM »
Pizzeria Lui is a relatively new-comer to the pizza scene in Denver, located between the urban edge of Denver and the perimeter of Lakewood. It's a neighborhood that is known for street-crime, home invasions, gang activity, and higher poverty rates than the rest of the city. It is far from being one of the "up and coming" areas in the city. They were brave and a little stubborn to open in a location like this, when the restaurant scene, and new "hip" areas are exploding in other parts of the city. It's also just a few blocks from my house.

It's an unassuming building, picnic tables for seating, minimal decorations. They do not open for lunch, the earliest you can get a pizza is at 3PM. They do not have a topping selection, it is not a "build-your-own" pizza place. You order from their choices on the menu, at the counter. If you insist on altering the pizza to a severe degree (they will make minor adjustments), or act like you are entitled to pick and choose as you wish, they WILL refuse to serve you. They often close early because they have "sold out" for the evening, so they don't care if one asshole doesn't get the privilege of having a delicious pie.

Any of the pizzas that include basil (many of them do) include the basil in a bunch on the side of the pie, so you can add it as desired to each slice without it getting wilty and warm from lying on the pizza. They also make their own hot sauces; A fresno red chile, and a habanero, that are in bottles on each table. I like the habanero, but use it sparingly, as it is pretty damn spicy.

Last night, Dec 16 2019, I purchased the Veggie pizza. It is a red sauce pizza with mozzarella, roasted red peppers, onion, mushrooms, kalamata olives, garlic, and basil. I ordered it to go since I live nearby and wanted to eat it at home.

I arrived a few minutes before the pizza was done, so it would be as fresh as possible. They cook their pizza in a 900 degree wood fired oven, so it doesn't take very long to cook a whole pie. This is my favorite type of baking for a pizza too. It creates a perfect soft, but firm, bake on the dough with a melty and browned cheese, and a crunchy edge-crust. When asked if I wanted a hot sauce, they provide it in a little to-go cup. I got the habanero.

You can look at the pizza and see how delicious it is. A nice spotted charring of the crust, bubbly and melty cheese, great looking toppings, and all that fresh basil. I ate the first few slices without the hot sauce, just for the purity of the pizza. Then dabbed a few drops on the rest to give it a little pop. The hot sauce is really good too and they also sell it separately if one is so inclined to purchase a bottle.

In conclusion; This is one my favorite pizzas in the city, and the no-hassle attitude of the owner and his one or two employees (its a small operation) makes it even more charming. They know they are making really damn good pie, and don't have the time or patience to have some rando telling them how they should be making it. They just love making good pizza, and make no compromise for anyone.

Final rating: 9.2/10

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:54:17 AM by dvsntt »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T