A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Kinchley's Tavern, NJ  (Read 365 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Kinchley's Tavern, NJ
« on: November 21, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »
Tried Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey, NJ. It's about a 20 minute drive from PizzaTown USA.

Open since 1937 it's a nice old tavern. It seemed similar to Star Tavern in that it a lot of customers knew each other. A line was already formed at 5:45 on a Wednesday evening.  Service is very friendly and good.

Full Italian menu in addition to the pizza. The meatballs were very good. I ordered the sausage(sliced) with onions, green peppers and mushrooms. The amount of almost raw onion, peppers and mushrooms would have been enough for about five of my pies. Too much for me but the underlying super thin crust, sauce and sausage were really good. Now that I have seen how heavy they top the pie, next time I'll order either cheese only or add one just meat topping.

Certainly worth a visit for any pizza lover! I hope to get back again soon. Now to try to duplicate it at home...
Hans

Offline hotsawce

Re: Kinchley's Tavern, NJ
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 01:38:36 AM »
Despite being screen and conveyor oven baked, I enjoyed the pie here!

Offline jsaras

Kinchley's Tavern, NJ
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 10:50:05 AM »
Tried Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey, NJ. It's about a 20 minute drive from PizzaTown USA.

Open since 1937 it's a nice old tavern. It seemed similar to Star Tavern in that it a lot of customers knew each other. A line was already formed at 5:45 on a Wednesday evening.  Service is very friendly and good.

Full Italian menu in addition to the pizza. The meatballs were very good. I ordered the sausage(sliced) with onions, green peppers and mushrooms. The amount of almost raw onion, peppers and mushrooms would have been enough for about five of my pies. Too much for me but the underlying super thin crust, sauce and sausage were really good. Now that I have seen how heavy they top the pie, next time I'll order either cheese only or add one just meat topping.

Certainly worth a visit for any pizza lover! I hope to get back again soon. Now to try to duplicate it at home...

Looking at the Yelp photos of their pizzas, itís hard to pin down what style it is.  It certainly stands apart from most conveyor McPizza.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »
Not really. Itís well known they were the creators of the Jersey bar pie

Looking at the Yelp photos of their pizzas, itís hard to pin down what style it is.  It certainly stands apart from most conveyor McPizza.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 11:50:57 PM »
I lived until I was 11 in Upper Saddle River, NJ, right next door to Ramsey.  I remember going with my friend and his dad to Kinchley's a few times for pizza many, many, many years ago.   I loved it.  There was a place called Phil's Pizzeria, also still open, in Montvale, one town over in the other direction, that basically set my pizza thermostat for life.  Great NY/NJ style pizza.  Phil's and Kinchley's were very different, but both were great.   Bergen county was really a magical place to grow up.  I went back to Phil's a few years ago, and, sadly,  only the name was the same.  It looks like Kinchley's has done a much better job of keeping the spirit alive.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 08:14:50 PM »
There's a ton of excellent pizza in NJ. Neighborhood joints that don't make the big lists!

I lived until I was 11 in Upper Saddle River, NJ, right next door to Ramsey.  I remember going with my friend and his dad to Kinchley's a few times for pizza many, many, many years ago.   I loved it.  There was a place called Phil's Pizzeria, also still open, in Montvale, one town over in the other direction, that basically set my pizza thermostat for life.  Great NY/NJ style pizza.  Phil's and Kinchley's were very different, but both were great.   Bergen county was really a magical place to grow up.  I went back to Phil's a few years ago, and, sadly,  only the name was the same.  It looks like Kinchley's has done a much better job of keeping the spirit alive.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »
Someone from my hometown posted this pic on Facebook.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 08:15:27 PM »
Someone from my hometown posted this pic on Facebook.

They prolly serve Budweiser beer at that joint. 🍻😜
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 08:32:34 PM »
  They prolly serve Budweiser beer at that joint.
Without question! :D

wordpress