A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cottage industry question  (Read 134 times)

Offline fluffymoose

• I Love Pizza!
Cottage industry question
« on: November 22, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »
Good day everybody.

Being a long time lurker here I finally have a question.  I'm in the initial stages of planning for a pre-baked "cold" slice summer market stand,  before I put the cart before the horse i have been reading my states cottage industry regs. (Alaska)  and i am trying to determine if this would classify as a potentially hazardous food or not.  The reason I ask is growing up many of my local ( Buffalo NY)  bakeries sold cold slices with  just basic toppings ie. sauce and cheese, and generally they were stored in open sheet pans and sold throughout the day but i see the potential for it being considered a hazardous food.

https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/fss/food/cottage-food-facts/

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Cottage industry question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 06:29:53 PM »
In reviewing your attached material I'd venture a guess and say that pizza might not be permitted. However it should be very easy to get a final word on this, just contact the authorities and ask them about how they view pizza. While a plain cheese pizza is one thing that they might allow without refrigeration one with meat and or vegetable toppings is yet another. If you were to have an oven in which you would heat the pizza slice to a temperature above 160F (minimum temperature for a "kill" step) this might influence their opinion in a positive way for you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline fluffymoose

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Cottage industry question
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 07:19:39 PM »
Thank you very much Tom, I will definitely reach out to inquire further. 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T