A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What's Burning For Thanksgiving???  (Read 851 times)

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
What's Burning For Thanksgiving???
« on: November 24, 2019, 11:33:11 PM »
Ours will be pretty traditional. I will be making turkey, dressing and gravy. Others will have the buns, green bean thingy, potatoes, etc.
Been trying to come up with a manual rotating spit for my smoker and believe I came up with good setup! An old cut down spit, 2 lengths of 1" square tubing, 4 bolts with acorn nuts for the spit cradles and drip pan underneath! Turn as needed till done. 22 pounder I'm thinking 6ish hours and put on hold if needed till service!
Happy Thanksgiving To All and have a thankful, blessed holiday with you loved ones!!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: What's Burning For Thanksgiving???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:47:46 AM »
Ours will be pretty traditional. I will be making turkey, dressing and gravy. Others will have the buns, green bean thingy, potatoes, etc.
Been trying to come up with a manual rotating spit for my smoker and believe I came up with good setup! An old cut down spit, 2 lengths of 1" square tubing, 4 bolts with acorn nuts for the spit cradles and drip pan underneath! Turn as needed till done. 22 pounder I'm thinking 6ish hours and put on hold if needed till service!
Happy Thanksgiving To All and have a thankful, blessed holiday with you loved ones!!!!

What keeps it from spinning when the turkey tries to find its center of gravity?
John

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »
I have another set of prongy things that will go on the outside of the spit facing the 1" bar, I'll post a pic later, should work......in my head anyway....?
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
John, here it is. And the consensus amongst my daughters and wife is NO smoke, so got the wood tray filled with lava rock to help as a heat sink!
Jon

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 07:58:45 PM »
And a $2 turning handle!😊
Jon

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 09:51:51 PM »
And a $2 turning handle!😊

Where's the duct tape?
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 10:18:33 PM »
Where's the duct tape?

Ain't started cooking yet, there's still a chance!😂
Jon

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 11:50:34 PM »
I’m mulling over my bread options and will probably go with a multi-batch recipe I came up with several years ago. The batch makes 11 which is kind of important because the final rise and bake is in a 9 x 13 pan in which I get 2 rows of 4 and 1 row of 3. I call it My Italian Dozen (one is missing). If I make them I’ll post pics and formula.

Meanwhile, I was greatly distracted when I came across a note about a recipe (I have never made) from a booklet called “Centennial Bread Sampler” from Red Star Yeast. I’ll just say it: they’re probably good; people probably like them. There is a little baking powder in them and buttermilk. However, there is 0.188 tsp of yeast per small dinner roll, 5.4 rolls per teaspoon of yeast. Says to let proof until doubled, approximately 20 minutes, then bake 15-20 minutes. On the plus side, I could mix these after everyone arrives - wait for a final attendance number - and have them ready to serve in the time it takes to carve the turkey, mash the potatoes, make the gravy, and set everything out.  ;D

Mine are by no means very low yeast/long fermenting, but not like this. I’m going to look over my notes in the morning and see about improving them a little by making a poolish ahead of time with part of the flour, water, and yeast.
-Tony

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 12:29:19 AM »
Got the poolish underway this morning for dinner rolls. I will figure out what the total yeast should be and put the dough together mid-day tomorrow (Wed). Judging from the poolish activity, I need to go low on the rest of the formula. After 4 hours at RT I put it in the fridge to slow it down. Picked up a package of 4 semi-frozen turkey drumsticks after lunch. Thawed 2 and put the other 2 in the garage fridge with the full turkey.

I made a strong turkey brown stock with the other 2 after thawing them. It will be good to have to add to the gravy Thursday and a little to help keep the sliced turkey warm and moist on the platter. I’ve been doing this for years. As a bonus, we will have a little extra dark meat Thursday. Funny: due to a promotion at our local grocery store I paid just under $5 for our family turkey last week. Today’s 4 legs cost me $5.03.
-Tony

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 03:17:28 AM »
Soooooo, 75 MILES LATER!!!!! I went to fill a new propane tank, came back and tried to do a little dry run on the Beast! Adjusting the thermostat probe I snapped it off!🤬 Went to Dey Appliance in St Paul, they sent me to Granger's in another part of St Paul, then they sent me clear across to Eagan at Horizon Equip to get a new thermostat probe and replacement set up for $128.00! Got it up and going, took 1.5 hours to get to 400°!! I'll try to get it going by 9am and adjust cooking time as needed. Getting a buttload of snow over the next day or so, supposed to be nice on Thursday!

Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
The usual...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »
It’s on. This will be our smallest Thanksgiving gathering in our 36 1/2 years together. It’s looking like 12 people. Most years have been 30-34 people. One of our nieces kindly took up the reigns for what we were unable to do this year (I can’t be around crowds yet). We are looking forward to it and more than ever we certainly have much to be thankful for.

Cranberries are finished. I use a vanilla bean and a little maple syrup along with the traditional ingredients. Dough for dinner rolls is ready to scale and bake tomorrow. Stuffing (which is really dressing here) from my grandmother’s recipe on my mom’s side is a family favorite. It has lots of celery, some onions, and cubed potatoes, lots of thyme, butter, milk and chicken broth. The turkey thawed on time :). We’ll have lots of sides to work on tomorrow. My wife does the lion’s share of the work but we each enjoy our roles.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:21:07 AM by Pete-zza »
-Tony

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
 The usual turkey and sides. Dry brined the bird. This year there seemed to be a lot of chatter on the net that removing the wishbone before roasting makes the breast easier to remove. Gave it a try, seemed to work OK. Did not gorge myself, need to save room for some punkin pie and whip cream...or is that  punkin flavored whip cream because of the amount I slather on.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 10:54:58 PM »
Couple pics of the bird was all I got, worked out great and turned out a very nice moist bird!!! A very busy, but wonderful day!
Jon

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 11:16:35 PM »
Looks great, Jon. I got a couple ‘in progress’ pictures but no time (it seemed) for even one photo of the spread much less any with people in them. I’m fairly single-minded when it’s time to get things finished and served and have everything come up at the same time. That part all went well and the food was good. We enjoyed being together but no pictures, unfortunately. I’ll ask my daughter in the morning and hope she got a few.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
-Tony

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »
1st attempt at a Gordon Ramsey classic.  Pretty Happy!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 01:09:48 AM »
1st attempt at a Gordon Ramsey classic.  Pretty Happy!

Our wedding day, Beef Wellington, twice baked potatoes  and Oysters Rockefeller......VERY memorable!!!
Jon

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 05:55:26 AM »
Down in the south pretty much everyone fried their Turkey.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 06:30:55 AM »
Puerto Rican roasted turkey, Puerto Rican pulled pork, mash potatoes, baked corn, regular corn, baked macaroni and cheese, stuffing, spiked cherries, tequila sunrise, pumpkin pie, deviled eggs and a bunch of other stuff.  Ate too much.  Much to be thankful for.

Norma
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:33:09 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 06:34:38 AM »
Norma

wordpress