A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza  (Read 88765 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
Jake,

Welcome back!  All of your pizzas look tasty!!

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Jake,

Welcome back!  All of your pizzas look tasty!!

Norma
      ^^^
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JalMot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2019, 04:35:04 AM »
I'm sorry to resurrect this thread yet again (and if I'm out of order for doing so, someone please let me know), but I wanted to post my attempt at Casey's style pizza and ask a question. I've never posted on the forums before (outside of my introduction thread), but have been making pizzas since I was a teenager, and have tried tons of different styles. My go-to right now and for many years now has been NY style, but every so often I get the itch to try others.

Let me start by saying I live in Colorado, so I don't really have access to Casey's, but it's a rare craving I get nonetheless. My brother and his family lived in Iowa for a number of years and I was introduced to Casey's one time when I was out visiting them. I normally don't go for chain, or what I would consider "fast food" pizza, but for some reason I was hooked on this pizza the first time I ate it. I was not a member of the forums then, but would browse fairly regularly, and this thread happened to catch my eye one day. I followed it for a while back when there was a lot of activity, but for whatever reason I never made any attempts at recreating anything and kind of forgot about it after a while. I was traveling through Iowa again in October of last year and got to make a few stops at different Casey's stores along the way. Man that pizza was good.

I was thinking about that pizza the other night and remembered this thread. Needless to say, I ended up finally attempting the Casey's clone and used the second dough formulation from reply #161 on this thread (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg338005#msg338005). I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt, but was a little disappointed in the bottom crust. I have a non-treated, non-darkened, perforated aluminum cutter pan that I've used for the last few years and it's typically been great. But this time around the bottom didn't really brown outside of where the dough was exposed where the holes were, which surprised me. It wasn't under-done per se, just pretty soft and "anemic". Even though it's not been an issue with this pan before, I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that it's only regular (but fairly well seasoned) aluminum, instead of the darker, pre-treated stuff. I baked at 480 for about 9 minutes, so I'm hesitant to go longer than that for fear of burning the top. I baked in the center of my oven vertically, maybe I should have done it closer to the bottom?

Anyway, I'm overall pretty pleased with my first attempt, and I hope that I'll be able to work the kinks out eventually. I appreciate the effort that everyone has put into this thread and want to say thank you for helping me get closer to Casey's in Colorado than I'll likely ever be otherwise :).

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2019, 07:39:18 AM »
Seth
I am personally very happy to see your post.  I’m glad to see someone else trying to make this pizza.  Your pizza looks awesome, could really be from Casey’s.  I have actually seen real Casey’s pizza out in the wild that seems white and anemic but is actually fully cooked.  That being said I do believe the dark nonstick coating really does help with the bottom browning.  Perhaps moving lower in your oven with the pan you have may be worth trying.  I would love to see any further attempts and thank you for sharing your results.
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline JalMot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2019, 03:16:07 PM »
Jake,
Thanks for your feedback! I admittedly don't have as much experience with Casey's as you, so I hadn't considered this to be something of a "within normal range" deal with the bottom crust. I will definitely try going lower in the oven next time to see if that makes a difference. I haven't had a chance to make any more pizza since I last posted, but I will make sure to update after my next attempt.

Offline MinnesotaMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #245 on: March 07, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
Hey Jake!

I tried the 2nd pizza recipe from post #161 and it turned it really great.   I have a kitchen scale and measured everything out to +/-0.05g

I used Sweet Diary Whey that I purchased on Amazon, andI had to put 2 tablespoons of extra water in the pizza when I made it.  I mixed it with a dough hook in my kitchenaid mixer for just over 5 minutes. It was just all crumbles until I added the water.

I tried it again just now for 2 pizzas. I had to add 2 extra tablespoons to the recipe again.  Maybe it's different with a mixer instead of a breadmaker?

I'll post my pictures of my first attempt later today.  I have them on my phone which I don't have on me right now.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #246 on: March 07, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around and learn some other new stuff as well!  I love to see people having success at this. I have come a long way since the beginning.  No longer using a bread maker.  But you are correct, at 50% hydration it is difficult to get this dough to come together. 55-56% is the sweet spot. Looking forward to some Pics!
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

wordpress