A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Monical's Pizza Recipe Wanted  (Read 152316 times)

Offline ayryq

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Monical's Pizza Recipe Wanted
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2017, 06:20:56 PM »
Did you oil the dough?

Only before rolling it out. I can easily do so (or spray the plastic) but I was concerned to follow the recipe as closely as possible.

Offline DerSchuhmacher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2017, 11:44:14 PM »
#1 NO yeast in Monical's thin crust pizza!!! (ONLY thick crust gets it)
#2 The dough goes through a machine for thinning several times, so it takes the place of the guy who throws the dough in the air.
#3 NO oil on the dough
#4 ONLY basil and garlic salt are shaken on top of the pizza!!! (not oregano)
#5 Yes, the crust is immediately put in the walk-in to cool and not pulled out until time to make & bake
#6 The deck ovens use stones and the temp is 600ļF!

And the reason all of us dough makers don't give the recipe, is because we all had to sign Confidentiality contracts and would get our butts sued off if we divulged it! It's their trademark. And being in a public place, you will never get it.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »
DerSchuhmacher,

Thank you for your comments. The links that I had posted earlier in this thread to the Monical's nutrition information no longer work and there were no copies archived in the Wayback Machine. But, that aside, it appears that the current nutrition information at the Monical's website has changed somewhat since I worked on the reverse engineering project. That would suggest that Monical's made some changes to its dough since 2008 when I last worked on the project. A typical nutrition profile can be seen by clicking on the nutrition link at the Monical's website at https://www.monicals.com/locations/monicals-pizza-of-decatur-prospect-dr/. I selected one of the Decatur stores to access the nutrition link.

My impression all along was that the Monical's dough for the thin crust included only flour, water and yeast, and no salt and no sugar and no oil (except maybe a bit to clear the dough from the mixer bowl). You did not say anything about the salt. The sodium numbers look to be higher today than when I looked at the Monical's nutrition information back in 2008 but the sodium numbers are still on the low side.

Peter

Offline cryan8181

« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »
Hi ayryq/Eric,

Your right about the stickiness of the dough at 2 to 4 days out. By trail and error I found getting the dough really cold helps a lot. I don't go past 2 days anymore because it does get much more difficult to deal with.

I have been freezing my dough for awhile now and have had good luck.  I will sometimes make a double or triple batch, roll it out, wrap it, and after a 1 or 2 day cold rise in the refrigerator I freeze what I don't use.

I double wrap before I freeze to reduce the chance of freezer burn.
 It is not as great as the non-frozen dough, but with a busy schedule it is worth the time saved(and it is still good).

I thaw the frozen crust for about 20 minutes and then put it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes (or more) to make it easier to remove the wrapping. I usually have to use a little flour on my pizza peel with frozen or 2-4 day crust. It is just to sticky to use only corn meal.

I have wrecked quite a few pizzas trying to figure out this or that problem* and learned a lot. Because I make these pizzas quite a bit for family and friends it has made it worth overcoming the little hassles.

We get usually have 100% turnout when we invite them over for a pizza night.  :chef:

Hope this helps everyone.

*oven hot - usually go with one hour preheat of stones at 545-550 degrees. Cook pizzas 4 to 7 minutes
*oven racks at different levels (varies depending on the oven and whether I make 1 pizza or 8 pizza that night)
*oven stones/steels may need a little heat recovery time when doing a bunch of pizza one after the other.
*pre-cook/blanch toppings in microwave - varies on toppings
*Some other ideas I can't remember at the moment :)

Offline satchel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2019, 10:05:57 PM »
They have to use yeast, even thin crust. I grew up on these pizzas. Iíve read this thread for 10 years now. Lots of red herrings thrown in so people donít try to recreate. Thin crust is not magic and much of it goes back to what corporate does and doesnít use. I guarantee yeast is used in thin crust.

Offline PizzaJason

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2020, 09:10:07 AM »
Bumping this thread up.  Im new to the forum, worked at Monicals for about 2 years as cook / delivery, had no access to the actual recipes but wanted to share my insights on how to replicate. 

The dough was made in the morning,  half the dough was sheeted in the morning and made into "PREMAKES"  rolled out and put on cardboard in racks with sauce and light cheese,  more dough was sheeted and left as dough.   these were stored in racks in the walk in.   remainder of dough was stored as large balls in plastic tubs in the walk in.    depending on sales the dough balls were either sheeted or reserved for next day.   so some of the dough was same day, some was 1 day refrigerator rise. 

During dinner most of the pizzas were made from premakes,  pulled form rack, removed from cardboard, toppings added and remainder of cheese applied.   pizza was made on wood board sprinkled with fine cornmeal to allow the pizza to slide off the sheet,  pizza was cold and slid into hot oven.

I feel this premake and sheeting is key to replicating the monicals pizza recipe. 
1) having the dough sit on cardboard for 6 or more hours pulled moisture out of the BOTTOM of the dough lowering the overall moisture content
2) having the premake,  sauce on pizza with light cheese, added moisture to the top of the dough
3) having premake with sauce and cheese, as it sits the sauce and light cheese blend together creating a "gooey" layer
4) adding cheese to the top with toppings creates a secondary cheese layer
5) cornmeal burns in the oven but some stays on the crust and cooks into the crust adding flavor
6) temperature difference of cold premake going into the oven and fact that the crust sauce cheese was all "bonded" together after being a premake is different than assembling it all at once just before baking.
7) the premake process changed the moisture content in many ways at different points of the pizza, compared to assembling right before baking

There were pizzas made from just sheeted dough,  sauce added to bare crust and topped right before cooking.   as the oven guy, the pizza makers would warn us when these came up,  either we were busy and dipped into this dough only stash,  more often these pizzas were for fully loaded with topping orders.   these pizzas wouldnt come off the board well, and required a little longer to cook, toppings and cheese were sloppy /wet and would slide around if pulled out of the oven too quickly,  could have been from all the toppings,  could have been from the sauce was still wet and hadnt had moisture pulled into the dough.

My advice to replicating Monicals recipe, is to replicate the process.    roll your dough, place on cardboard pizza circles, sauce, light cheese, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate at least 4 hours.   this should lower the moisture content in the bottom of the dough to get the crispness.   having the sauce and cheese "goo" together, I think this gives the characteristic chewiness of a Monicals pizza.    How to cook this without a Blodgett deck oven, thats on you :-)   having the pizza assembled and refrigerated with a little cornmeal under the crust should allow you to slide it off the peel or board onto a stone.    If youre doing this in a home oven be cautious of your cornmeal use,  anything that misses the pizza stone will fall to the oven floor and burn / smoke horribly (my wife was not happy as I tested this )

I hope this adds to the topic and helps solve the mystery on how to replicate a Monicals pizza. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2020, 09:37:06 AM »
PizzaJason,

Thank you very much for posting the information on the processes used by Monical. Some of what you said was reported in the post at Reply 18 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=600.msg52358#msg52358

In my case, I rolled out the skins and refrigerated them, in folded form, in my refrigerator for a couple of days. The folding was because of limited refrigerator space.

You can see an example of one of my finished Monical clone pizzas starting at Reply 22 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=600.msg52938#msg52938

Peter

Offline tomrip

« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2020, 03:45:39 PM »
So I was at monicals yesterday. Can anyone that works there verify that works there if the indeed do use regular flour as well as wheat flour on all pizzas or just the take and bakes

Offline PizzaJason

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 08:21:05 PM »
Finally found a pizza paddle that works GREAT.  I called monicals and asked where they buy their paddles,  same as I used when I was cooking at Monicals. 
KEC DESIGN in champaign il ks the distributor and they will happily sell you one.
$44 plus shipping.  Be sure to ask for a paddle and not a peel.
16" across, 6mm thick and performs great. 

I used masa flour to dust the paddle,  monicals uses corn meal. 

Im cooking on a steel plate at 550.  Bring ovev up to temp woth the plate in there ,  let the plate heat soak for at least 15 min. 

Ive tried stones.  They dont get the job done, steel transfers heat faster.  Since we cant get home ovens to 600-650 that monicals uses,  this helps.

Offline PizzaJason

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 08:27:16 PM »
I used a low yeast,  low hydration dough, mainly tested the paddle and cooking method with a known dough recipe to compare.   Nice crispness and blistering.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #130 on: Yesterday at 08:48:32 PM »
PizzaJason,

Can you tell us which dough recipe you used?

Peter