A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Monical's Pizza Recipe Wanted  (Read 148432 times)

Offline ayryq

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Monical's Pizza Recipe Wanted
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2017, 06:20:56 PM »
Did you oil the dough?

Only before rolling it out. I can easily do so (or spray the plastic) but I was concerned to follow the recipe as closely as possible.

Offline DerSchuhmacher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2017, 11:44:14 PM »
#1 NO yeast in Monical's thin crust pizza!!! (ONLY thick crust gets it)
#2 The dough goes through a machine for thinning several times, so it takes the place of the guy who throws the dough in the air.
#3 NO oil on the dough
#4 ONLY basil and garlic salt are shaken on top of the pizza!!! (not oregano)
#5 Yes, the crust is immediately put in the walk-in to cool and not pulled out until time to make & bake
#6 The deck ovens use stones and the temp is 600ļF!

And the reason all of us dough makers don't give the recipe, is because we all had to sign Confidentiality contracts and would get our butts sued off if we divulged it! It's their trademark. And being in a public place, you will never get it.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »
DerSchuhmacher,

Thank you for your comments. The links that I had posted earlier in this thread to the Monical's nutrition information no longer work and there were no copies archived in the Wayback Machine. But, that aside, it appears that the current nutrition information at the Monical's website has changed somewhat since I worked on the reverse engineering project. That would suggest that Monical's made some changes to its dough since 2008 when I last worked on the project. A typical nutrition profile can be seen by clicking on the nutrition link at the Monical's website at https://www.monicals.com/locations/monicals-pizza-of-decatur-prospect-dr/. I selected one of the Decatur stores to access the nutrition link.

My impression all along was that the Monical's dough for the thin crust included only flour, water and yeast, and no salt and no sugar and no oil (except maybe a bit to clear the dough from the mixer bowl). You did not say anything about the salt. The sodium numbers look to be higher today than when I looked at the Monical's nutrition information back in 2008 but the sodium numbers are still on the low side.

Peter

Offline cryan8181

« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »
Hi ayryq/Eric,

Your right about the stickiness of the dough at 2 to 4 days out. By trail and error I found getting the dough really cold helps a lot. I don't go past 2 days anymore because it does get much more difficult to deal with.

I have been freezing my dough for awhile now and have had good luck.  I will sometimes make a double or triple batch, roll it out, wrap it, and after a 1 or 2 day cold rise in the refrigerator I freeze what I don't use.

I double wrap before I freeze to reduce the chance of freezer burn.
 It is not as great as the non-frozen dough, but with a busy schedule it is worth the time saved(and it is still good).

I thaw the frozen crust for about 20 minutes and then put it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes (or more) to make it easier to remove the wrapping. I usually have to use a little flour on my pizza peel with frozen or 2-4 day crust. It is just to sticky to use only corn meal.

I have wrecked quite a few pizzas trying to figure out this or that problem* and learned a lot. Because I make these pizzas quite a bit for family and friends it has made it worth overcoming the little hassles.

We get usually have 100% turnout when we invite them over for a pizza night.  :chef:

Hope this helps everyone.

*oven hot - usually go with one hour preheat of stones at 545-550 degrees. Cook pizzas 4 to 7 minutes
*oven racks at different levels (varies depending on the oven and whether I make 1 pizza or 8 pizza that night)
*oven stones/steels may need a little heat recovery time when doing a bunch of pizza one after the other.
*pre-cook/blanch toppings in microwave - varies on toppings
*Some other ideas I can't remember at the moment :)

Offline satchel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2019, 10:05:57 PM »
They have to use yeast, even thin crust. I grew up on these pizzas. Iíve read this thread for 10 years now. Lots of red herrings thrown in so people donít try to recreate. Thin crust is not magic and much of it goes back to what corporate does and doesnít use. I guarantee yeast is used in thin crust.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress