A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: I was like Aurelio’s!  (Read 1123 times)

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
I was like Aurelio’s!
« on: December 22, 2019, 10:49:19 PM »
One of my favorite memories of growing up in Arizona is pizza night at Spinato’s.  Fast forward a few decades later, and thanks to this board, I find out Spinato’s is basically Aurelio’s.  I then find out that there’s an Aurelio’s not too far from me in Marietta, GA.  Been there a few times now and it’s really brought some memories back.  Atlanta traffic is terrible and I enjoy making pizza so I thought that I’d try and recreate their magnificent pie.  Using some ideas from this forum, this is what I’ve come up with.  If I were grading on closeness I’d say it’s a solid A.  I hope some of you will try it and let me know what you think.

Dough (16” pizza) Note this makes just a bit extra that should be cut off the edges of whatever pan you use.
300 King Arthur APF
75g white Lilly bread flour
190g water
17g olive oil
11g corn oil
5g salt
3g sugar
15g IDY
Using a food processor mix the dry ingredients 1st, then oil, then water until ball comes together (30seconds-1min).  Place in a lightly greased bowl covered with damp towel.  Knock down a few times.
Ferment room temp 12hr.   Ball up if you want but this isn’t necessary (it can help for rolling out evenly though) seal and refrigerate for 2-3days. Remove from fridge about 2hr before you’re ready.
Roll out to just over 16” with a little flour and rolling pin.  Put on air pan (or cutter pan - I use an air pan because that’s what I’ve got) and cut off excess dough with rolling pin.  Note This makes a hair extra or it will be too thick.  You could probably dial down the recipe by 10% if you didn’t want to bother with cutting off any excess.
Note: sprinkle pan with a small amount of corn meal before putting the dough on it.

Sauce (Anyone who’s had Aurelio’s/Spinato’s knows this is the key ingredient)
T=tablespoon t=teaspoon
1 can Hunts tomato paste (6oz) (Don’t knock it until you try it)
1/3C warm water (~3/4 of the 6 oz can)
1T + 2tSugar
1T + 1tRed wine vinegar
1/4t Italian seasoning
1t oregano
1/4t basil
1/4t Onion powder
1/4t garlic powder
1/2t Salt
1/4t Pepper
1/2t Toasted fennel (ground up after measuring) (I think this is something missing from other sauce recipes youll find here and on the web)
Mix together.  Leave at room temp if making same day.  Refrigerate if making later.

Toppings
I’m a Super Six fan so here’s what I do:
White mushrooms- slice thin and cook in a pan on low to remove excess water.  Drain off any water and refrigerate.  This can be done day before if you want.
Green bell peppers- About 1.5/16”. Sliced medium and same as above for mushrooms
Sausage- I buy a mild Italian from a local farmers market.  ~1/2lb per 16”.  Anything with a decent amount of fennel should do.
Pepperoni-just about any brand you can find at Walmart or the like will do.
Ham- deli sliced pretty thin (not smoked).  Cut It  into ~1-2”squares.
Cheese- whole milk mozzarella.  I use somewhere around 9-10oz for a 16”pizza

Assembly
Put the sauce on pretty heavy (~2/3 of the sauce from the above recipe) Add the uncooked sausage in thin quarter sized pieces.  Add the ham.  Add most of the cheese (75%).  Add the pepperoni, mushrooms and bell peppers.  Add the rest of the cheese.
Note:  Don’t go light on the ingredients.  Even though this is a thin crust, do not skimp (they don’t).

Preheat oven with stone at 500F for 1hr.  Turn down to 450 and bake for ~15minutes.  Turn off oven and remove pizza from pan and place directly on stone using a pizza peel.  Leave for five minutes, put pizza back in pan and slice into squares.

Had to throw in a Night at the Roxbury reference when I could.

Cheers!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: I was like Aurelio’s!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »
Looks good but 4% yeast?
-Tony

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 01:52:05 PM »
I tried 1%, 2% and 4%.  I thought 4% gave it the best flavor.  One thing I should mention is that I keep my house cold during the winter (around 60F), so that’s what the dough was fermenting at for 12hr.

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 06:24:18 PM »
Got a “16 Lloyd cutter pan last week.  Meatball garlic and pepperoni -came out great.  Had to take out and put on the steel to crisp up the bottom though

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 07:33:57 AM »
Made a couple of adjustments to the sauce.  I was using a cheap red wine vinegar, ran out and bought a better one.  The jump from 5% acidity to 6% seemed to make a big difference.  Going with 2T sugar now and 1T red wine vinegar.  Upped the toasted fennel to 1t.  Still trying to figure out the new cutter pan.  Tried the middle rack and the bottom and sides were still not quite there in terms of doneness.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 09:30:44 AM »
Got a “16 Lloyd cutter pan last week.  Meatball garlic and pepperoni -came out great.  Had to take out and put on the steel to crisp up the bottom though

This looks incredible Bob.  :chef:
What brand of cheese is on this beauty?    :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 10:17:27 AM »
Now THAT is a Super Six!  WTG,  :chef:!!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »
Now THAT is a Super Six!  WTG,  :chef:!!!
  ^^^

Yep... Super Six FTW!!  Jus wow....   :chef:

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
Thanks Garvey.  Bob the bottom one’s got Polly-O Whole milk mozzarella.

Offline ipapizza

• Pizza every night!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 11:13:42 AM »
Your mushrooms and green pepper look perfectly cooked. No extra juice on the pizza top. I always overcook veggies when sauteing ahead of time. I have tried microwaving but still get too much juice. What was your sauteing time for veggies?

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »
Your mushrooms and green pepper look perfectly cooked. No extra juice on the pizza top. I always overcook veggies when sauteing ahead of time. I have tried microwaving but still get too much juice. What was your sauteing time for veggies?

Maybe around 10 minutes.  I cook on medium low with a fair amount of mixing.  When you say overcooked, are they getting too brown, or too rubbery/soft for your liking?  Sometimes I add a little bit of water to keep from overbrowning the peppers, and I usually will drain the pan while cooking the mushrooms to keep from over cooking them.  I stop when there’s no water left and then leave them in Tupperware with the lid off until they are around room temp to let them steam out.

Offline ipapizza

• Pizza every night!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 01:54:03 PM »
Thanks Bob for the suggestions! Your pizza looks awesome!

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 07:26:09 PM »
Made a couple of adjustments to the sauce.  I was using a cheap red wine vinegar, ran out and bought a better one.  The jump from 5% acidity to 6% seemed to make a big difference.  Going with 2T sugar now and 1T red wine vinegar.  Upped the toasted fennel to 1t.  Still trying to figure out the new cutter pan.  Tried the middle rack and the bottom and sides were still not quite there in terms of doneness.

The undercarriage of your pizza looks underdone to my eye, and I recall you mentioning that you had difficulty with that.  Have you tried to calibrate your oven’s thermostat?  You can often dial in a bit more heat.  It’s worth finding the owners manual for your oven online. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »
The undercarriage of your pizza looks underdone to my eye, and I recall you mentioning that you had difficulty with that.  Have you tried to calibrate your oven’s thermostat?  You can often dial in a bit more heat.  It’s worth finding the owners manual for your oven online.

It was done.  I think it looks that way because I let that one ferment for 24hr and went with more olive oil than corn oil.  It was definitely underdone in the pan, but taking it out of the pan and putting it on the steel is doing the trick.  I’d love to be able to just leave it in the pan, but I’ve tried lower rack and now middle rack on steel with preheating for an hour without any luck.  I’ve been making one a week and experimenting with the dough.

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 07:51:37 PM »
Thanks Bob for the suggestions! Your pizza looks awesome!

Thanks! Hope you try the sauce recipe out.  Good luck with your pizzas!

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »
Last nights pie with Garvey’s pizza factory sausage.  Came out great.  I tried a few different things to try and get even closer to Aurelio’s crust and this was the closest to date.
375g White lilly Bread flour
200g water
15g olive oil
15g corn oil
5g salt
1t sugar
2T IDY
24rt ferment. Followed by 24hr in fridge.  Took out 3hr before rolling out.
Rolled out dough with a small amount of 00 flour.  Greased pan with olive oil and gave a light sprinkle of corn meal.  Trimmed off ~10%
Preheated oven to 500F for 1hr.  Cooked in cutter pan on bottom rack on top of steel for 15minutes.  Turned off oven and put directly on steel for 5min.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:44:17 PM by ATLBob »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 09:11:37 PM »
Last nights pie with Garvey’s pizza factory sausage.  Came out great.  I tried a few different things to try and get even closer to Aurelio’s crust and this was the closest to date.
375g White lilly Bread flour
200g water
15g olive oil
15g corn oil
5g salt
1t sugar
2T IDY
24rt ferment. Followed by 24hr in fridge.  Took out 3hr before rolling out.
Rolled out dough with a small amount of 00 flour.  Greased pan with olive oil and gave a light sprinkle of corn meal.  Trimmed off ~10%
Preheated oven to 500F for 1hr.  Cooked in cutter pan on bottom rack on top of steel for 15minutes.  Turned off oven and put directly on steel for 5min.

That pizza looks so correct.... Great job Bob!!   :drool:

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 01:02:20 PM »
    That pizza looks so correct.... Great job Bob!!   :drool:

Thanks Bob! I hope someone tries this out.  It really was spot on.