A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Naughty words - dough roller...and hydration rates...  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Horza

• I Love Pizza!
Naughty words - dough roller...and hydration rates...
« on: September 29, 2018, 04:08:31 AM »
Hello,

Have been in the mobile pizza game for a year or so now and absolutely loving it. Love this forum - thanks for all the insights!

I can't find a topic related to this post though.

We currently hand stretch all of our (homemade not frozen ball) dough but feel that in Tims of high demand we would save time using a dough roller. I do realise the other benefits of hand stretch vs dough rollers but we want to experiment with the roller to see for ourselves how it affects the bake.

However whenever we try with our FEMA machine the dough occasionally (about 1 in 4) gets stuck in the rollers and the machine chews it up - the amount of time to recover and clean following a chew up is not worth the time we save by using the machine in the first place.

Why is our dough constantly getting stuck in the rollers? Can hydration rate be a factor? If so, what is the ideal hydration rate to make dough balls which will roll consistently in a roller (we are currently working with 62.5% hydration, 24 hours cold ferment, 1% IDY)

Hope this is a valuable question to ask!

Best wishes,

James.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Naughty words - dough roller...and hydration rates...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »
James;
Some time ago I wrote an article in Pizza Today Magazine on the impact of using different methods to open the dough on characteristics of the finished crust. You might be able to find this article in their archives. Using a dough roller/sheeter will have somewhat of a degassing effect upon the dough as compared to the other methods of opening the dough, especially opening by hand. The end result is typically a thinner, more dense/compact crumb structure. As for the problems you are experiencing running the dough through the sheeter, I offer the following:
1) Are you allowing the dough to warm up to at least 55 to 60F before trying the sheet it?
2) Are you using multiple passes through the sheeting rolls to open the dough? Typically four or more passes are required with one or two adjustments made to the thickness setting.
3) Are you dusting the dough ball with dusting flour before sheeting it?
4) Check to make sure the dough is sufficiently relaxed prior to sheeting, you can do this by simply pressing down on the dough ball, if it feels firm and springs right back sheeting will be less than desirable, but if it can be easily pressed and deflates slightly it should be sufficiently relaxed for decent sheeting properties.

A number of years ago I developed a method for opening the dough using both the sheeter (to pre-open the dough to within 2 to 3-inches of full diameter and then finishing the opening by hand to full diameter. This method results in faster, more consistent opening of the dough with the added benefit that you don't get a thin center section in the opened skin (common to many skins opened entirely by hand, especially if opened by someone without a lot of experience in hand opening dough. I have a video showing this process in actual use in a pizzeria, if you would like to see a copy of the video just email me at <[email protected]> and I'll be glad to share it with you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Horza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 07:31:51 PM »
Thank you both very much - I will peruse the links and study the videos and report back in due course - hopefully we will get this working.

Best wishes,

James.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 11:05:11 PM »
What is a FEMA machine?

Offline Horza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 05:20:05 AM »
Hello PizzaGeorge - Fimar - apologies I misspelt....its just the brand of our dough roller...

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
Modification of DD Method using Rolling Pin for Home User
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 03:23:42 PM »
James;
Some time ago I wrote an article in Pizza Today Magazine on the impact of using different methods to open the dough on characteristics of the finished crust. You might be able to find this article in their archives. Using a dough roller/sheeter will have somewhat of a degassing effect upon the dough as compared to the other methods of opening the dough, especially opening by hand. The end result is typically a thinner, more dense/compact crumb structure. As for the problems you are experiencing running the dough through the sheeter, I offer the following:
1) Are you allowing the dough to warm up to at least 55 to 60F before trying the sheet it?
2) Are you using multiple passes through the sheeting rolls to open the dough? Typically four or more passes are required with one or two adjustments made to the thickness setting.
3) Are you dusting the dough ball with dusting flour before sheeting it?
4) Check to make sure the dough is sufficiently relaxed prior to sheeting, you can do this by simply pressing down on the dough ball, if it feels firm and springs right back sheeting will be less than desirable, but if it can be easily pressed and deflates slightly it should be sufficiently relaxed for decent sheeting properties.

A number of years ago I developed a method for opening the dough using both the sheeter (to pre-open the dough to within 2 to 3-inches of full diameter and then finishing the opening by hand to full diameter. This method results in faster, more consistent opening of the dough with the added benefit that you don't get a thin center section in the opened skin (common to many skins opened entirely by hand, especially if opened by someone without a lot of experience in hand opening dough. I have a video showing this process in actual use in a pizzeria, if you would like to see a copy of the video just email me at <[email protected]> and I'll be glad to share it with you.

Reviving this thread after some sleep . . . . .

I wonder if this technique could be modified by the home pizza maker to use a rolling pin to open the dough initially (instead of a sheeter as posed by the OP)?

One would roll out the dough part of the way with a pin, and then hand stretch by whatever method?  This might have the potential to produce a better end product than most home users are capable of producing with their limited experience and skill set?

Offline Panzudo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 11:11:21 PM »
Hi
I own and operate a mobile pizza trailer and we roll and bake to order in a wood fired oven.
The two main considerations for us when using our dough sheeter (Doyon model) are the ones mentioned by Tom: Correct Dough Temp/Condition and multiple passes with incremental adjustments (if needed).

Hydration is around 65% and we make sure that the dough balls are completely floured (no sticky areas)

Not much of a Cornicione with this method but it makes up for the amount of Pizza i can produce. Max production = 160-180 pizza/hr

Any questions re: High volume mobile Pizza vending let me know.
Dave

Offline Qapla

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »
From back in my days when I worked in a pizza place that used a sheeter ... we founds that one reason dough stuck to the rollers was rollers that were not thoroughly clean - if they have residue, even an almost invisible one, left from "the last time" or if they were "wet" when sending the dough through they were much more likely to stick to the rollers and shred.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
Partially opening the dough using a sheeter or rolling/pastry pin and then finishing the opening process by hand to full diameter is a procedure which we developed a good number of years ago as a teaching aid for those who were deemed to be "toss challenged". The process is now used in a number of pizzerias. I have a video on the process. If you would like to view the video just send me an e-mail at <[email protected]> requesting the video and I'll be glad to send it to you. The procedure is also very useful when one is having a problem opening the dough by hand and continually getting a very thin center section to the opened skin. We've discussed this procedure many time here in the past.