A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Neighbors getting upset with my pizza party smoke.  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Neighbors getting upset with my pizza party smoke.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 10:18:09 PM »
Go with the 1000%.... It's your life too ya know! 👏

You'll never please everybody.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline flagriller

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 02:30:12 PM »
Try using all natural lump charcoal, once the charcoal is red slowly add the wood.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2019, 09:33:12 PM »
Go with the 1000%.... It's your life too ya know! 👏

You'll never please everybody.....

:-D

What you can do is opening wide your sewer, let the flavor reach for your neighbors, then they will be happy to smell the smoke  ;D ;D
(just kidding!!)
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2019, 10:10:29 PM »
Put a large hood over your oven an and have it exhaust/sucked into an air scrubber.
Might need to have those precious neighbors kick in some cash though cause this solution don't come cheap $$

I once had a DIY one >$ in the paint booth of my shop.... I'm located more rural now though... Cough, cough...😷🤕🙈
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:16:51 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Simone

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 12:25:02 AM »
Have you tried to invite them to eat a good pizza, or bring a pizza to them?
Maybe they're just waiting for you to make them taste something.
It often works

Offline HelloJello

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 11:56:49 PM »
How you stack wood and the diameter matters.  Have you seen Fidel Montoya's video about lighting Pizza Party WFO?  I put the links at the end.  Here are some points in no particular order that I have come across from my own Pizza Party:

1. I use three pieces of Home Depot fatwood to light with a domestic candle lighter.  That is all it takes.
2. I spend time making kindling and about three piles of progressively thicker pieces of wood.
3. Stay away from axes unless you are experienced and know what you are doing. Get a Kindling Kracker to split your logs.  This is by far the best, safest and fastest method to resize fire wood.  Northern Tool has it for 90 bucks.  Get a 5- 7lb mallet as well while you are there.  https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200647343_200647343
4. No doubt, you have been told to season your firewood.  Buy and store in a dry place this year for next year.  I know you have to get started somewhere. 
5. Select your firewood.  Oak and Hickory have a higher calorie content and burns for longer.
6.  When using the Kindling Kracker, pick pieces that don't have gnarly knots or wavy grain.  The straight grained ones split very easily.
7. The jury is out on bark and smoke.  If the bark detaches easily, I discard it.
8. At the end your baking, when the oven get to below 200f, put some of the logs  you want to use for starting the next fire into the oven to dry out a bit.  For a fire, mix air dried logs with oven dried ones.  This is the fastest way to raise temperature to beyond smoke point.
9.  Make a raft of logs with the thickest at the bottom and thinnest at the top.  Fatwood goes into the second layer from the top.
10.  I experimented with adding some lumpwood charcoal at the bottom of my log raft.  I think the oven got to temperature faster.
11. On a windy day, you should bring the chimney cap down a bit to compensate for wind.
12.  A few times, I started my fire hours before I was going to bake because I was having people over.  I pre dried some logs for my flame over.  The coals in the oven keep going for hours.  Just chuck in a log every now and then.  It is very easy to go from 300f to 850f.
13. Use a moisture meter like this cheap one to see if moisture content in below 20%.  The lower the moisture, the better it burns.   http://amzn.to/2xQfwU6

Happy baking

Cheers!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 01:03:50 AM by HelloJello »

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 02:32:23 PM »
My neighbors seem to be the type to want to keep to themselves

Then why are they neighbors? I don't like sushi so guess what I don't do? LOL!
A pensive man of philosophic joys.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2019, 03:26:59 PM »
Oak and Hickory have a higher calorie content

A note for Aussie firewood buyers:
The above statement isn't entirely true from a purely scientific point of view.
Energy content is reported as units of energy per units of mass.
In that context, Oak actually has a rather low calorific value compared to other timbers.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fossil-fuels-energy-content-d_1298.html

We Aussies buy our firewood by the ton, so we get similar energy no matter what we buy, and so we buy on other qualities of the wood.
e.g. If some of that calorific value comes from the resin in pine, we avoid it.

Americans get more energy from a delivery of Oak because they tend to buy by volume (cords or parts thereof).
Oak is reasonably dense so they get more weight in a cord than for some other species, hence more energy.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html

Mick

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »

We Aussies buy our firewood by the ton

Curious how the Australian consumer is able to verify the purchase. When I get a delivery, I can easily measure the volume - maybe some wiggle room for the supplier in how carefully the wood is stacked. But I do have pretty good idea I'm getting close to what I ordered.   

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2019, 05:04:15 PM »
Curious how the Australian consumer is able to verify the purchase. When I get a delivery, I can easily measure the volume - maybe some wiggle room for the supplier in how carefully the wood is stacked. But I do have pretty good idea I'm getting close to what I ordered.   
Lets just say those who under-deliver find themselves in Dutch with a little outfit called the ACCC

Edit: I personally think the US system is better, but it is what it is, and I don't buy firewood.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:27:36 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 06:30:02 PM »
Along those same lines, for the many baseball fields I renovated over the years infield dirt needs were estimated in cubic yards but always ordered in tons. It works out to about 1.4 tons/yard for what is popular and commonly available here. A “Michigan Train,” which is an 11-axle rig with two trailers, the rear one being smaller (called a “pup”), can be loaded to 50 tons, which is about 36 yards. The last job I finished 2 weeks before I found out it would be the last job I completed took 340 tons.

This reminds me: the weather broke here before we ordered firewood and I still need to do it. One of the best moves I made when we built our home was to provide a space in the attached garage for a season’s worth of firewood. It’s always dry, around 55° and nearby. 27 years ago when we first built I thought this might lead to an insect problem but I bet I have seen fewer than 10 in all that time.
-Tony

Offline bjab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Your neighbors probably wouldn't like the sound of a loud shop vac either.

I would just start your fire slowly by first lighting small kindling, (very small) and let it get going, then add more kindling a little bigger in size, each time.
Adding it on to the fire in a tepee formation. a little at a time. will produce a quicker fire with full flames. The more flame , the less smoke. I use a small hatchet
to make my kindling from one log.
Someone already suggested taking time to make your kindling.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2019, 12:56:53 PM »
You can't please everybody. Last year, I was slow smoking some ribs on my Weber kettle. A beautiful spring day, everybody had their windows open. A couple hours into it, a little old lady is banging on my door telling me that I'm burning my food and the smoke is getting into her house. I just told her that I'm not burning my food, I'm smoking it, and that I can't control which way the wind blows. If she has any ideas of how I can change the direction of the wind, I'm certainly open to ideas. She just glared at me and stomped away. I try to be a good neighbor, but sometimes it's just impossible.

Offline DoReiMe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 06:54:28 AM »
Been looking into maybe extending the chimney a ridiculous amount, but where do I find the material for it? Any suggestion?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »
Been looking into maybe extending the chimney a ridiculous amount, but where do I find the material for it? Any suggestion?
I'd start with a local fireplace/wood stove store.

Offline Simone

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2019, 03:24:46 AM »

isn't necessary extend the chimney, is sufficent use small pieces of dry wood

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2019, 08:16:55 AM »

I was able to find 5” black stovepipe online at http://www.woodstove-outlet.com/woodstove/5-Inch-Stove-Pipe.htm
I needed to vent the oven outside my screened in porch rather than through the roof. 5” adapts well to my PP 70x70.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »
I'm a little late to the party here, but I noticed in the OP first comment that pine cones were used.
Try not using them and your black smoke should diminish significantly.
FGM 800-B