A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What is the world coming to?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
What is the world coming to?
« on: December 09, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »
I noticed today on our Smiling with Hope Pizza Yelp page there is a delivery option set up in the upper right corner. I have no idea what this is about. It leads to a menu that is incorrect as well.  I called Yelp. They took it off temporarily and told me it is through Grub Hub and I need to call them. Just got off the phone with them and they told me we are off their site. How dare people sign up a business without their consents. What kind of world are creating today?? Walter

Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: What is the world coming to?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:18:46 PM »
This keeps happening to my pizzeria as well, but most frequently with our google page.  Keep an eye on it, it may keep popping back up again like it does for me.   

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:55:12 PM »
This keeps happening to my pizzeria as well, but most frequently with our google page.  Keep an eye on it, it may keep popping back up again like it does for me.   

Thanks Scott.  I check both Yelp and Google a couple times a day for such crap.  I am praying some smart lawyer will contact all us small restaurant owners and get a class action lawsuit going.  These delivery sites know that 99% of food establishments will take any money they can get and thus will never dispute having their sites put on the delivery websites without prior consent.  The 1% they are happy to piss off like us.  It reminds me of growing up in NJ and the mob coming in the pizzerias and collecting money every week to keep them from having external problems.....

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »
Let's be real here: delivery companies like Grub Hub, Uber Eats, Door Dash, and the like aren't the problem: Yelp is. All those positive reviews and #1 rankings on Yelp are great, but Yelp a business: a BIG business ($942.8 million annual sales; $2.3 billion market cap), and customer reviews and rankings don't pay the bills to keep the Yelp site running.

I GUA-RAN-DAM-TEE that Yelp's SELLING delivery companies the chance to put a link on Yelp's review pages, and they've got got an algorithm that determines which delivery company's link to pop up on any given page view based on how much the delivery company is paying: this time it's Grub Hub; next time it'll be Uber Eats; time after that, Door Dash; time after THAT, Postmates; time after that, someone else. Lather, rinse, repeat. Same goes for Google, Facetime, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and what have you.

You take The Man's ratings and the seal of approval, you gotta pay The Man. Could be directly, could be indirectly, but, one way or another, The Man's gonna get paid. Like it or not, that's the way the game works. Deal wid it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:07:50 AM by megan45 »

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 12:44:00 PM »
Let's be real here: delivery companies like Grub Hub, Uber Eats, Door Dash, and the like aren't the problem: Yelp is. All those positive reviews and #1 rankings on Yelp are great, but Yelp a business: a BIG business ($942.8 million annual sales; $2.3 billion market cap), and customer reviews and rankings don't pay the bills to keep the Yelp site running.

I GUA-RAN-DAM-TEE that Yelp's SELLING delivery companies the chance to put a link on Yelp's review pages, and they've got got an algorithm that determines which delivery company's link to pop up on any given page view based on how much the delivery company is paying: this time it's Grub Hub; next time it'll be Uber Eats; time after that, Door Dash; time after THAT, Postmates; time after that, someone else. Lather, rinse, repeat. Same goes for Google, Facetime, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and what have you.

You take The Man's ratings and the seal of approval, you gotta pay The Man. Could be directly, could be indirectly, but, one way or another, The Man's gonna get paid. Like it or not, that's the way the game works. Deal wid it.

I am dealing wid it.  I got them to take it off and Grub Hub to drop us off their site. I have done this with other 3rd party delivery sites and will continue to do it to keep our business the way we want it to be.  We don't pay to advertise with Yelp or anyone.  The #1 ranking we got from Yelp is based on customer reviews of which we never ask anyone to write one.  It is a transparent window into our business.   

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »
If you think you've dealt with it, I suggest you read Yelp's Terms of Service, giving particular attention to sections 5B, 5D, and 10.

Boiled down, Yelp has no obligation to you because YOU are not the user of Yelp's service, your customers are. All those Smiling With Hope customers who posted reviews grant Yelp and its licensees the right to attach additional content, including advertising, to customer generated content (reviews), without regard, or need, for your approval. Yelp, through its customer service reps, may, at its discretion, accommodate a request from a business owner to remove a link to a licensee's site, but it has no legal obligation to do so.

Yeah, it sucks, but that's the game.

Deal wid it.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 02:32:58 PM »
I think the Yelp posters are just another way for those type of folks to post something socially so all their friends can see how beautiful and sharing they are.
I find most Yelp reviews to be written by seemingly illiterates that truly believe they are part of the "cool" crowd.  🙄☠️
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »
After 20 years in the music business - running my band, owning a record label,  there is only 1 way to control what goes into the publics hands - to be onsite all hours.  What I like about Yelp is we cannot fix a bad review or delete it.  It is transparent and that is what bugs lots of big name food guys because they have operations that are far beyond keeping tight control on the consistency factor.  That is our niche.  We are onsite all hours and control every product and how we present our philosophy to our customers.  You can't be big time, lots of locations, hours, days of operation and keep a 5 star rating when your paying customers are doing the rating. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 07:29:20 PM by waltertore »

Online jsaras

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »
Walter is exactly correct.  I visited two pizzerias owned by a celebrity pizzamaker whose initials are T.G. and the pizzas were average at best.  Iím sure that HE can make excellent pizza, but that wasnít what I had served to me.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 08:23:34 AM »
It's kind of like Yahoo that keeps changing my default search engine without asking me. Annoying as hell.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 08:26:11 AM »
Let's be real here: delivery companies like Grub Hub, Uber Eats, Door Dash, and the like aren't the problem: Yelp is.

On one hand I agree, but really, Yelp is not the problem. People who use Yelp are the problem.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 01:15:09 PM »
Walter is exactly correct.  I visited two pizzerias owned by a celebrity pizzamaker whose initials are T.G. and the pizzas were average at best.  Iím sure that HE can make excellent pizza, but that wasnít what I had served to me.

I grew up with family run pizzerias.  They were able to keep long hours and days of the week because all the employees were trained in the system from birth basically.  Now the help wanted signs are everywhere. I never once saw a help wanted sign in a pizzeria and never knew of a pizzeria in my neighborhood that had another shop(s) somewhere else.  This is why we are only open 20 hours a week which adds up to 50-55 hours a week at the shop total.  It is frustrating not being able to find or hold employees.  We have gone through 64 in our 4 years.  It makes no sense to train a pizzamaker with those kind of odds :'(  Walter
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:40:51 PM by waltertore »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 02:04:56 PM »
On one hand I agree, but really, Yelp is not the problem. People who use Yelp are the problem.
if it's not one Yelp, it's another... There will always be a form of "Yelp" from here on out... It's posters are starved for attention and they will always blindly agree to any terms.

I subscribe to zero social medias.... This lil pizza forum is as far as I go.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 02:29:48 PM »
I subscribe to zero social medias.... This lil pizza forum is as far as I go.

You and me both, brother.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »
I grew up with family run pizzerias.  They were able to keep long hours and days of the week because all the employees were trained in the system from birth basically.  Now the help wanted signs are everywhere. I never once saw a help wanted sign in a pizzeria and never knew of a pizzeria in my neighborhood that had another shop(s) somewhere else.  This is why we are only open 20 hours a week which adds up to 50-55 hours a week at the shop total.  It is frustrating not being able to find or hold employees.  We have gone through 64 in our 4 years.  It makes no sense to train a pizzamaker with those kind of odds :'(  Walter

When you were growing up, folks hadn't yet been told that they were entitled to all manner of free stuff...

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 02:34:49 PM »
Walter,

I have seen quite a few help wanted signs around where I live but I recently saw a sign that said "Help Always Wanted". That was the first time that I ever saw such a sign.

The reality is that with an unemployment rate of 3.5%, which is the lowest unemployment in the last 50 years or so, finding employees is going to be a difficult task. That is not to say that there aren't jobs that can't or haven't been filled. There are about 7M of them. In some cases, the jobs are hard to fill because of a lack of certain skill sets or because the jobs lack appeal or because people are just waiting for better jobs or the jobs are simply not paying enough. And people with jobs have been quitting them. The Bureau of Labor Statistics regularly puts out a report called the JOLTS report (JOLTS stands for Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey) that reports the numbers of job openings and numbers of terminations and quits. As you can see from the graph below, the number of quits has climbed quite rapidly since the recession of 2008-2009. High quit numbers is usually taken to mean that people are quitting jobs because they believe that they can get better jobs elsewhere. And that coincides with the fact that average incomes have been rising for some time. So, people quitting jobs are hoping and expecting that they will get better pay.

If you would like to see a deeper dive on the JOLTS report, see:

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/2019/11/05/job-openings-labor-turnover-clues-to-the-business-cycle

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »
Walter,

I have seen quite a few help wanted signs around where I live but I recently saw a sign that said "Help Always Wanted". That was the first time that I ever saw such a sign.

The reality is that with an unemployment rate of 3.5%, which is the lowest unemployment in the last 50 years or so, finding employees is going to be a difficult task. That is not to say that there aren't jobs that can't or haven't been filled. There are about 7M of them. In some cases, the jobs are hard to fill because of a lack of certain skill sets or because the jobs lack appeal or because people are just waiting for better jobs or the jobs are simply not paying enough. And people with jobs have been quitting them. The Bureau of Labor Statistics regularly puts out a report called the JOLTS report (JOLTS stands for Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey) that reports the numbers of job openings and numbers of terminations and quits. As you can see from the graph below, the number of quits has climbed quite rapidly since the recession of 2008-2009. High quit numbers is usually taken to mean that people are quitting jobs because they believe that they can get better jobs elsewhere. And that coincides with the fact that average incomes have been rising for some time. So, people quitting jobs are hoping and expecting that they will get better pay.

If you would like to see a deeper dive on the JOLTS report, see:

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/2019/11/05/job-openings-labor-turnover-clues-to-the-business-cycle

Peter

The 64 employees were not disabled.  If we factor in the disabled employees that brings it close to 80 for 4 years open.  The career food service people tend to have too much mental and substance baggage for my temperament.  That is why we hire school age kids who have no culinary, but also little baggage.  I am proud that we made the top rated pizzeria in the USA on Yelp with me as the only culinary person and 30% of the employees having cognitive disabilities :)   but it takes a toll on me...  I wish I could find a mentally balanced person that wanted to do pizza full time.  Walter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
Walter,

Your experience resonates with what a friend of mine, a former pizza operator, told me when I asked him what was the biggest problem or challenge that he had with his pizzerias. I posted what he told me at Reply 1 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=47337.msg474751;topicseen#msg474751

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 06:04:22 PM »
Walter,

Your experience resonates with what a friend of mine, a former pizza operator, told me when I asked him what was the biggest problem or challenge that he had with his pizzerias. I posted what he told me at Reply 1 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=47337.msg474751;topicseen#msg474751

Peter

Peter: We have had 0 problems with addiction and young people.  We hire high achievers at the local university and few from the high schools.  The problem is their parents.  They demand the kids take month long vacations, academic pressures, and last minute things.  When I turned 15 my parents, who spent the summer at the NJ shore at my grandfathers bungaloo, never even mentioned it.  It was assumed I was now working and my summer vacation was done. My father would go down the shore on weekends till he got his vacation but I stayed home.  The parents are teaching their kids a terrible work ethic.  I read that the baby boomer generation has inherited the largest amount of money in the history of the world.  They live lifestyles they would never achieve without their parents wealth and will not pass on the same thing to their kids spending it on worldly things like boats, second homes, extravagant vacations, maid service, no more home cooking, landscapers, huge main home, etc... .  The result is the kids have 0 life skills that we learned as a given growing up.  Sad stuff.  Walter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
I agree that a BIG part of the problem is the parents, but it's not because of month long vacations, academic pressures, and last minute things.