A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What is the world coming to?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
Re: What is the world coming to?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 08:00:49 PM »
I agree that a BIG part of the problem is the parents, but it's not because of month long vacations, academic pressures, and last minute things.

So, what is the parents' problem?

I've recently started doing some consulting again (I'm 65), not because I need the money, but because I enjoy working with the the young engineers (civil/environmental engineering). I find that they bust ass but are not willing to put up with the 60 hr weeks, week in and week out, that was expected of me when I started out. They seem to kick it in with the extra effort when required, but realize they have a life away from work. That is a good and better thing.

I'm not quite ready to start living in the past.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 08:03:22 PM by parallei »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 08:43:28 PM »
From what I have read, teenagers have receded quite markedly from the workforce over the past several years. This can be seen from the first two charts shown below. In the first chart, the squiggles represent summer spikes.

There have been several reasons advanced for this decline. First, parents with good financial resources, and who are often referred to as "helicopter" parents, have spared their children from the indignity of having to work. Second, low-skilled immigration workers or retirees working part time have taken jobs that teenagers might have otherwise gotten. Third, in places where the minimum wage has been hiked considerably, employers have been discouraged from taking on young inexperienced workers at the higher rates. Fourth, many teenagers these days spend more time in school, including taking classes during summers (see the third chart below). Fifth, when teenagers see their friends not working, they sometimes become lazy and mimic their friends. Sixth, the Great Recession of 2007-2009 also took a toll on all jobs, including some that may have been held by teenagers. Finally, many teenagers destined to go to college will engage in extracurricular activities, such as voluntary work, to beef up their applications for college so that they appear to be caring individuals who are concerned about others.

There are also other factors at work. See, for example, the last chart that shows that whites teenagers (ages 16-19) tend to do better in the workforce than blacks or African Americans and Hispanic and Latinos.

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 11:10:33 PM »
The world is still good.  A woman came in tonight that said she tried to get to us before we closed in June to have my hips replaced.  She handed me a card and said it was a thank you for doing what we do.  She has a severely Autistic son and wanted to help us get through the time we closed our shop.  She left and said she would be back soon for pizza.  She has never been in our shop before.  When I opened the envelope there was a lovely card and 10 - $100 bills.  I just bought a Blodgett convection oven for our back kitchen and debated on it big time cause all we use it for is cookies, dry our basil with the fan, and bread.  I figured it would take years to pay it off.  Well it won't take long now thanks to her generosity :)
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2019, 11:29:44 PM »
The world is still good.  A woman came in tonight that said she tried to get to us before we closed in June to have my hips replaced.  She handed me a card and said it was a thank you for doing what we do.  She has a severely Autistic son and wanted to help us get through the time we closed our shop.  She left and said she would be back soon for pizza.  She has never been in our shop before.  When I opened the envelope there was a lovely card and 10 - $100 bills.  I just bought a Blodgett convection oven for our back kitchen and debated on it big time cause all we use it for is cookies, dry our basil with the fan, and bread.  I figured it would take years to pay it off.  Well it won't take long now thanks to her generosity :)
sorta puts a spin on your compliant about worker turnover....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 11:32:36 PM »

I've recently started doing some consulting again (I'm 65), not because I need the money, but because I enjoy working with the the young engineers (civil/environmental engineering). I find that they bust ass but are not willing to put up with the 60 hr weeks, week in and week out, that was expected of me when I started out. They seem to kick it in with the extra effort when required, but realize they have a life away from work. That is a good and better thing.

I'm not quite ready to start living in the past.
no need to live in the past if parents teach/display  good ole fashion values.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »

For one thing, there's not enough of them.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
Nearly all of my son's friends parents are divorced.  They're all well off and the kids are spoiled beyond belief.  I started working full time when I was 12/13.  I need to step it up to get my boy on the right track.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 11:43:43 AM »
Personal responsibility is an endangered species. I'd credit a large amount of that to poor parenting.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 01:53:10 PM »
Bot that I'm the best judge, I decided back in the 60's that having children would be a huge mistake for me and have stuck to my guns, but as far as I can tell, at least in West Los Angeles/Santa Monica where I live, society has defined parents as people who bear children and there is no longer any expectation the the parents are responsible for raising them. Seems like all children have cell phones and iPads by 5 or 6. Children in restaurants almost always have a device to entertain themselves, I guess so the parents can use their devices undisturbed. It's depressing to watch the what seems to be the rapid disappearance of social interaction within families. So why should be be surprised at the problem with employees. I try to be a nice employer, we have a small factory and do a lot of repetitive booring stuff so we let employees have their phones and listen to music, but I had to tell them it wasn't ok to watch YouTube,  movies, take calls, text or email during work. I don't want to put a box by the door and ban phones in the workplace, but they are so addicted to their devices that sometimes I think I'll have to. I watch them arrive for work, and the first thing is punch in and then get ready for work, I'f I'd done that when I started working they would have had my head. Same thing with breaks, they don't count the start till they've got everything they need so what for me was a 10 minute break, for them is a 13 minute break. I never wanted to have employees and now I have eight and I'm no good at dealing with this kind of stuff.

It just seems like society is breaking down ever faster and the people in charge seem both unwilling to do anything about it and unaware that their allowing big business to ride roughshod over common sense and the law is not helping.

Ira

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
Bot that I'm the best judge, I decided back in the 60's that having children would be a huge mistake for me and have stuck to my guns, but as far as I can tell, at least in West Los Angeles/Santa Monica where I live, society has defined parents as people who bear children and there is no longer any expectation the the parents are responsible for raising them. Seems like all children have cell phones and iPads by 5 or 6. Children in restaurants almost always have a device to entertain themselves, I guess so the parents can use their devices undisturbed. It's depressing to watch the what seems to be the rapid disappearance of social interaction within families. So why should be be surprised at the problem with employees. I try to be a nice employer, we have a small factory and do a lot of repetitive booring stuff so we let employees have their phones and listen to music, but I had to tell them it wasn't ok to watch YouTube,  movies, take calls, text or email during work. I don't want to put a box by the door and ban phones in the workplace, but they are so addicted to their devices that sometimes I think I'll have to. I watch them arrive for work, and the first thing is punch in and then get ready for work, I'f I'd done that when I started working they would have had my head. Same thing with breaks, they don't count the start till they've got everything they need so what for me was a 10 minute break, for them is a 13 minute break. I never wanted to have employees and now I have eight and I'm no good at dealing with this kind of stuff.

It just seems like society is breaking down ever faster and the people in charge seem both unwilling to do anything about it and unaware that their allowing big business to ride roughshod over common sense and the law is not helping.

Ira
IRA, it sounds like you need to pony up and hire a lead person that speaks your language AND the employees language....(I'm not talking nationality language, rather, how to please the boss and keep you JOB)
Ask me how I know...💪
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 09:39:37 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
Personal responsibility is an endangered species. I'd credit a large amount of that to poor parenting.

Politics at large keep people AFRAID of doing real parenting nowadays! You may offend someone because EVERYONE is supposed to be a winner, or be a somebody,  with little or any effort! Toooooo much "entitlement syndrome" at large and running rampant today and for some time for that matter and with little to no consequences. Love your kids enough to give then both sides, good AND bad consequences!!! No favors are given, by giving WITHOUT earning! It develops pride in oneself for a job well done..........my 2cents!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
Politics at large keep people AFRAID of doing real parenting nowadays! You may offend someone because EVERYONE is supposed to be a winner, or be a somebody,  with little or any effort! Toooooo much "entitlement syndrome" at large and running rampant today and for some time for that matter and with little to no consequences. Love your kids enough to give then both sides, good AND bad consequences!!! No favors are given, by giving WITHOUT earning! It develops pride in oneself for a job well done..........my 2cents!

Well said Jon. 💪

"Things" have taken the place of "pride".  💃🕺📱

wordpress