A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Your favorite Instant Pot recipes  (Read 2808 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Your favorite Instant Pot recipes
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:51:15 PM »
  Not sure this is the correct place to start the subject. I am a IP virgin. After ordering it I spent the last couple of evenings reading recipes and watching videos. One thing I noticed is they are all over the map for the same foods. Looking for some expertise on usage and getting the most out of the IP. Also interested in your learning experiences including failures. I figure I will get better advice and recipes from the forum members.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: Your favorite Instant Pot recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 08:05:05 PM »
 My first question is the best way to make white rice.

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 08:11:48 PM »
My first question is the best way to make white rice.

I find the preset settings for rice overcook it. I use a ratio of 1/1 rice and water.  You use less because there is no evaporation. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes, and then wait 10-15 minutes and release pressure.

For brown rice, I do high pressure for 15 minutes, then wait 7 minutes and release pressure.

Take notes and make minor adjustments as needed for your preferences.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 08:16:54 PM by bregent »
Bob

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 08:14:11 PM »
Here's a family favorite.

HEAVENLY CREAMY FLAN
8 Servings

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS
1. Over medium heat, place sugar in small heavy skillet and heat until sugar begins to melt and syrup turns golden. Immediately pour into a SS pan (see below) that fits into pressure cooker. Tilt dish in all directions to coat bottom and as much of the sides before syrup stops running; set aside and let cool.
2. In bowl or blender, mix remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour through strainer into prepared SS pan and cover tightly.
3. Place on bottom of IP.
4. Add 2 cups hot water to IP
5. Set to high and cook for 6 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes then release any remaining pressure and remove dish from IP.

Let cool, run a knife around the edge and invert onto a dish.

Note: I use these to cook it in: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRD715B/?tag=pmak-20
The recipe fills one of the pans.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 10:38:57 PM by bregent »
Bob

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 08:54:42 PM »
I think Chau does rice in the IP! I did farro i it the other day and it came out very good!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 09:09:32 PM »
My all time favorite in my Instant pot is short ribs.
1-2lb short ribs
1/4 cup Marsala Wine
3/4 cup coca cola
1 cup beef stock
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP Worchestershire sauce
1 medium onion diced
3 cloves garlic smashed

Brown the short ribs on all sides using the Instant pot sautee setting.
Add the garlic and diced onion and sautee for about 5 minutes or until onions start to caramelize.
Add the Marsala Wine and simmer till the alcohol evaporates.
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Close the lid and set the Instant pot to manual and cook for 90 minutes then turn off and let the pressure naturally release (about 15 minutes)

Remove short ribs, strain the liquid and add it back to the pot and set to sautee and slowly add a few tablespoons of cornstarch/water to thicken to your desired thickness.

Plate the short ribs and drizzle the sauce overtop.

I like to put the Short ribs on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes and ladle the sauce overtop.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 09:23:41 PM »
My all time favorite in my Instant pot is short ribs.
1-2lb short ribs
1/4 cup Marsala Wine
3/4 cup coca cola
1 cup beef stock
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP Worchestershire sauce
1 medium onion diced
3 cloves garlic smashed

Brown the short ribs on all sides using the Instant pot sautee setting.
Add the garlic and diced onion and sautee for about 5 minutes or until onions start to caramelize.
Add the Marsala Wine and simmer till the alcohol evaporates.
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Close the lid and set the Instant pot to manual and cook for 90 minutes then turn off and let the pressure naturally release (about 15 minutes)

Remove short ribs, strain the liquid and add it back to the pot and set to sautee and slowly add a few tablespoons of cornstarch/water to thicken to your desired thickness.

Plate the short ribs and drizzle the sauce overtop.

I like to put the Short ribs on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes and ladle the sauce overtop.

Doh!!! :drool:

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 09:44:08 PM »
Doh!!! :drool:

I topped the Mashed potatoes with a homemade jumbo lump crab cake. Then piled a short rib on top.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:47:45 PM by FeCheF »

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 07:43:20 AM »
I find the preset settings for rice overcook it. I use a ratio of 1/1 rice and water.  You use less because there is no evaporation. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes, and then wait 10-15 minutes and release pressure.

For brown rice, I do high pressure for 15 minutes, then wait 7 minutes and release pressure.

Take notes and make minor adjustments as needed for your preferences.

I do white rice the same.  For brown I do 1/1.25 rice and water and 24 minutes high pressure
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »
I love short ribs in the instant pot - cooking time and procedure is close to FeCheF .   I use red wine and beef broth.  I add a chopped up carrot & stalk or two of celery.   (No coke, soy, worc)  I try to do the day before.  I let the liquid sit in fridge overnight, take the fat off and then reduce it way down.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 07:57:55 AM by deb415611 »
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 07:50:10 AM »
if you like yogurt this is very good   https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-greek-yogurt/ 
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 07:57:38 AM »
also, use your cooking common sense, there are a lot of recipes out there that don't make sense, they have things cook much longer than needed.   I have seen recipes with meat & veggies that cook for the meat time and the veggies are mush  - beef stew, chicken cacciatore, sausage & peppers come to mind .  I will do the recipe most of the way with a normal time for the veggies is left. Then a quick release and then put the veggies in and  finish cooking for the veggie time. 

I usually google instant pot xxxxx   and look at 2 or 3 recipes and go with my gut on timing.
Deb

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »
I think my wife needs to re-read the manual...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline G Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 09:18:58 AM »
Chicken Pot Pie!! Awesome on a cold day. I also make a short rib pot pie.  :chef:

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »
also, use your cooking common sense, there are a lot of recipes out there that don't make sense, they have things cook much longer than needed...
...I usually google instant pot xxxxx   and look at 2 or 3 recipes and go with my gut on timing.
Once a cook has some chops (letís say experience and intuition), I think this is the best everyday advice anyone can follow. Itís rare that I follow advice on something that sounds as if it will not work well and am then surprised at how well it worked. Couple times a year, if that. Sure, we continue to learn and improve with each dish that we prepare, using new (to us) tips, ingredient combinations, etc. However, when I see a method promising what sounds unlikely I either ignore it or search online for a couple other recipes and see how things compare before beginning -or even shopping in some cases.
-Tony

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
Chicken Pot Pie!!

Wouldn't that be a Chicken Instant Pot Pie   :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 01:27:35 PM »
That was easy peasy! My usual method of cooking rice turns out good results. The IP took it to a new level. Cooked for 4 minutes and waited 13 minutes before releasing the pressure. Perfect rice, not sticky or mushy. I used chicken broth instead of water. I'm sold. Saturday I am going to try some beef short ribs I found at Sam's
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:31:51 PM by nick57 »

Offline G Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 02:18:24 PM »
Wouldn't that be a Chicken Instant Pot Pie   :-D

LOL, YES!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »
From the title of the post I was expecting this to go in a totally different direction.  :-D
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »
I do white rice the same.  For brown I do 1/1.25 rice and water and 24 minutes high pressure

So Bob does brown rice on high pressure for 15 minutes, 7 minute natural pressure release, and You do 24 minutes on high pressure with more water.  Do you do a manual release after 24 minutes or do you let it reduce naturally for some amount of time?
Cheers,
Travis