A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Your favorite Instant Pot recipes  (Read 2809 times)

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Your favorite Instant Pot recipes
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »
From the title of the post I was expecting this to go in a totally different direction.  :-D
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

It was the 70s after all.....right?!😊
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »
Chicken Pot Pie!! Awesome on a cold day. I also make a short rib pot pie.  :chef:
boy I like that... No damn green peas overload!!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
From the title of the post I was expecting this to go in a totally different direction.  :-D
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I know, right? False advertising. I planted some in the Instant Pot and it took forever to grow  >:(
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »
I know, right? False advertising. I planted some in the Instant Pot and it took forever to grow  >:(
maybe you used your wife's method.... subconsciously.

Miracle Grow ftw!  🙈
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:13:55 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »
Here's another one we make often

Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs (about 20 ounces)
2 tablespoons butter
2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
4-6 cups chicken stock
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 (16 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces, or homemade drop biscuits: see note

Directions
Heat some oil and Brown chicken in pressure cooker. Add 1 cup broth and pressure cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, release pressure, open and shred chicken.   
Place the shredded chicken, butter, soup, carrots, celery, onion into IP. Add enough stock to completely cover.
Simmer (use saute) until vegetables are just about tender. Alternatively you can pressure cook again, but the veggies don't take long when simmering if diced small.
Place the torn biscuit dough (or drop biscuits) in the IP and simmer an additional 30 minutes or until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

Note: If making biscuits from scratch or mix, dough should be wet like drop biscuits
Also, you can reduce the cream of chicken soup to 1 can for a slightly less rich results.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:12:37 PM by bregent »
Bob

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 10:21:28 AM »
Another IP favorite is shredded chicken thigh enchilada's. I remove the skin, dump a large can of red enchilada sauce, diced onion,minced garlic, and (the secret ingredient) a pack of chicken gizzards, and set it to manual for 60 minutes. Remove the thighs and gizzards, shred them into a container. Add the enchilada sauce until the shreded chicken is well coated. Reserve the rest to pour overtop the corn or flour tortillas after you fill and roll them up and place them in a casserole dish. Top with the remaining sauce and shredded cheddar cheese . Bake until cheese is melted.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 10:52:06 AM »
I love short ribs in the instant pot - cooking time and procedure is close to FeCheF .   I use red wine and beef broth.  I add a chopped up carrot & stalk or two of celery.   (No coke, soy, worc)  I try to do the day before.  I let the liquid sit in fridge overnight, take the fat off and then reduce it way down.   

I was thinking about this post.  I don't do 90 minutes.   I usually do 45 to 60 depending on size of short ribs.  Based on FeCheF's picture he gets nicer shortribs than I can get here.   Often they are on the smaller side.
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »
Another IP favorite is shredded chicken thigh enchilada's. I remove the skin, dump a large can of red enchilada sauce, diced onion,minced garlic, and (the secret ingredient) a pack of chicken gizzards, and set it to manual for 60 minutes. Remove the thighs and gizzards, shred them into a container. Add the enchilada sauce until the shreded chicken is well coated. Reserve the rest to pour overtop the corn or flour tortillas after you fill and roll them up and place them in a casserole dish. Top with the remaining sauce and shredded cheddar cheese . Bake until cheese is melted.

Is 60 minutes correct for this?
Deb

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
I was thinking about this post.  I don't do 90 minutes.   I usually do 45 to 60 depending on size of short ribs.  Based on FeCheF's picture he gets nicer shortribs than I can get here.   Often they are on the smaller side.

If you or anyone you know has access to RD, they have WONDERFUL shortribs, thick and untrimmed!!! :drool: I would never buy those shiners that are usually sold in grocery stores! Better off just buying chuck roast!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »
looks awesome FE!   :drool:

I recently discovered Lapreferida brand enchilada canned sauce... best canned one I've had. 👍🏼

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2019, 02:17:22 PM »
Is 60 minutes correct for this?

Yes. gizzards take time to break down and thighs are very forgiving and need at least 45 min to break down. Besides, all the liquid/sauce gets soaked back into the meat once you shred it. If you are not doing shredded chicken thighs then the time would obviously be less, or if using chicken breast.......just throw that in the trash where it belongs.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2019, 02:21:47 PM »
looks awesome FE!   :drool:

I recently discovered Lapreferida brand enchilada canned sauce... best canned one I've had. 👍🏼

If you have access to Everyday Essentials (its a Redners store brand) They make a really good red enchilada sauce thats cheap (like $1.99 for a 28oz can) Its way better then the other brand name stuff like old el paso..ect..ect.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2019, 06:20:21 PM »
 Beef short ribs. Used a recipe that seemed legit. Total time in the IP was 30 minutes. Super tender. Not quite fall off the bone, they did melt in the mouth. Maybe a couple of more minutes and they would have been falling off the bone. They were about as good as it gets. Being a newbie, I only cooked the ribs with the beef stock and mushrooms in the IP. As I get more experience I will try adding veggies to the mix. Gonna do a chuck pot roast for Christmas. Clean up is pretty simple. Saw a tip about cleaning the gasket. Soak in a mixture of soapy water and vinegar for a couple of hours to get rid of any oder. For the price I paid, I am very happy so far.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:54:26 PM by nick57 »

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2019, 07:43:57 PM »

45 to 60 minutes might work well for flanken cut or just really thin short ribs. I buy a whole short plate  which is almost 3 inches thick including the bone. 90 minutes is perfect for lip smacking sticky fingers fall off the bone tender short ribs.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2019, 12:06:11 PM »
For meats and ribs I'm a low and slow smoker guy.

Does the meat cooked in the ip taste like it's been boiled like it does in a slow cooker.

Jerry

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »
It can depending on how you prep it before it goes in or after, like a sous vide, takes a cook, not a contraption!!!
Jon

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2019, 08:35:28 PM »
For meats and ribs I'm a low and slow smoker guy.

Does the meat cooked in the ip taste like it's been boiled like it does in a slow cooker.

Jerry

More like braised. But as jack said, it depends on the cook. A good cook would brown the meat before pressure cooking it. A good cook would not just dump a bunch of water into the pot completely covering it. A good cook would add a stock just slightly covering a 1/4 to 1/3 of the meat. That is what a traditional braise is. The pressure cooker just speeds up the process, and as a result of being under pressure, produces a more tender and juicy end product.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2019, 08:59:32 PM »
 I got the Ultra 10 and 1 6 quart model. On the warm function I can select what temp I want. I can do a sou vide at 125 degrees for a filet mignon. Does IP hold the temp pretty well. I imagine I should not place the bags on the bottom of the pot and instead place them on a trivet or a steamer basket because the heat comes from the bottom. Am I correct in my assumption? Does it really work as a sou vide?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2019, 10:41:55 PM »
I made the FeChef short ribs tonight for tomorrow. Not using an instapot, regular stove top pressure cooker. I went a little too long, probably a higher pressure. Anyhow, they slid off the bone. The meat and sauce are delicious. Will definitely make this again. And my dog is very happy with the bones.

Thanks for the recipe.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 11:12:36 PM »
I made the FeChef short ribs tonight for tomorrow. Not using an instapot, regular stove top pressure cooker. I went a little too long, probably a higher pressure. Anyhow, they slid off the bone. The meat and sauce are delicious. Will definitely make this again. And my dog is very happy with the bones.

Thanks for the recipe.

Your welcome. You need to get yourself a IP. I have two. One is a spare just incase my original breaks.(been using it weekly for 2 years) I bought the spare on amazon right around thisd time of year (black friday or cyber monday) for $60. Worth every penny. I am glad you liked the recipe, and i bet it was just as good as it is cooked in a IP.

wordpress