A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Your favorite Instant Pot recipes  (Read 3602 times)

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Your favorite Instant Pot recipes
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2019, 11:57:26 PM »
I got the Ultra 10 and 1 6 quart model. On the warm function I can select what temp I want. I can do a sou vide at 125 degrees for a filet mignon. Does IP hold the temp pretty well. I imagine I should not place the bags on the bottom of the pot and instead place them on a trivet or a steamer basket because the heat comes from the bottom. Am I correct in my assumption? Does it really work as a sou vide?

Holds great, here's a short and to the point video! Keep submerged like any other sous vide process, longer than 4ish hours, vacuum pack preferred, shorter then use sous vide ziplock bags, regular ones will leak. I always do vac pack as my preferred method.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49638.msg595306#msg595306
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2019, 07:51:31 PM »
 Tried my hand at some baby back ribs. Looked at a lot of websites and videos. Most were calling for 20 minutes and 25 minutes and seemed popular cook times The quicker cook time ended up with not fall off the bone ribs and the longer time produced rib meat that would not stay on the bone. I chose 22 minutes at full pressure and high heat and the warm function turned off. It took 10 minutes for the IP to come to pressure. After the 22 minute cook, I let it do a natural pressure release for 30 minutes.The meat ended up pulling off the bone easily.

Used a rub on the 3 pound rack and let it sit for an hour. The steaming liquid consisted of 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and liquid smoke. After the racks were out of the pot I brushed them with a very good locally made BBQ sauce. Placed the rack under the broiler to caramelize the sugars in the sauce.

The ribs were very tender and flavorful. I was surprised how good they were Not quite as good as using my smoker, but does give it a good run for the money. The clean up was quick and easy. Less that 1.5 hours and I had great ribs. Think I will have baby backs more often.

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
 IP fail. Made another batch of rice. Did the same as last time. 4 minute pressure and 13 minute rest and manual released. The rice was undercooked. Pretty sure I screwed up. I usually cook 1 cup of rice at a time. I did 1.5 cups of rice and I think I used 8 ounces of liquid. I added back a few ounces of water replaced the top to the seal position. Started the saute mode for 60 seconds, shut it off and let the pot sit for 15 minutes. The rice turned out OK, but was not perfect like the last time. I will double check my measurements next time. Meal was not a total loss.

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »
 Made chicken wings. Used a 3 pound pack. Cut up the wings and discarded the tips. Used 3/4 cup of water in the IP. Placed the wings in a steamer basket. It took 10 minutes for the IP to come up to pressure. Cook time was 5 minutes and then did a 10 minute natural release. Finished the wings with a Buffalo sauce and then placed under the broiler till crispy, about 10 minutes, flipping once. Very juicy and tender. It's a keeper!

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »
 Another failure with the IP. Pretty sure it was my fault. I did a 4.5 pound chicken. Cooked on high pressure for 27 minutes. At the end of the cook I did a 15 minute natural release.  When I popped the lid it looked like it had cooked too long and it fell to pieces when taking it out of the pot. Internal temp was 187 degrees. I re-read the recipe and think I know where I went wrong.The recipe called for 1 cup of liquid and I used 2 cups. The energy of the extra cup caused the pressure and temp to stay higher causing the the chicken to keep on cooking once the IP had stopped. Was not a total failure, the chicken was fine. It is going into a stew.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2020, 06:03:24 PM »
Looks like a syfy scene!!🤣
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
Looks like a syfy scene!!🤣

It sure did not look like all the pretty pics on the web. When I removed the top, the chicken looked like it exploded. The was a big whole on top of the bird and the ribs were poking through. I'll make sure to double check the recipe next time. Luckily I did not ruin the first meal of the year.

Last night I spent a few hours trying to find a good recipe for a chuck roast in the IP. Seems everyone has their own ideas for cook times and pressure relief. Even going by weight there seems no real consensus on cooking times. Anyone have a good starting point or recipe that does not overcook the roast?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2020, 01:16:38 PM »
After having crispy baked wings at Lorenzo's (thezaman) I have never done them any other way. Didn't know baked could be so good. Here is the recipe I use: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html
Hans

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »
After having crispy baked wings at Lorenzo's (thezaman) I have never done them any other way. Didn't know baked could be so good. Here is the recipe I use: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

I do a similar method except I use about a tablespoon of AP flour seasoned with salt and garlic powder to coat the wings instead of using baking powder. Lightly spraying the tops of the wings with cooking spray once they are on the greased pan also helps them to crisp up like they were deep-fried. 

Offline jsaras

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »
It sure did not look like all the pretty pics on the web. When I removed the top, the chicken looked like it exploded. The was a big whole on top of the bird and the ribs were poking through. I'll make sure to double check the recipe next time. Luckily I did not ruin the first meal of the year.

Last night I spent a few hours trying to find a good recipe for a chuck roast in the IP. Seems everyone has their own ideas for cook times and pressure relief. Even going by weight there seems no real consensus on cooking times. Anyone have a good starting point or recipe that does not overcook the roast?

I can’t vouch for the accuracy of this, but here it is:
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2020, 04:26:21 PM »
IP fail. Made another batch of rice. Did the same as last time. 4 minute pressure and 13 minute rest and manual released. The rice was undercooked. Pretty sure I screwed up. I usually cook 1 cup of rice at a time. I did 1.5 cups of rice and I think I used 8 ounces of liquid. I added back a few ounces of water replaced the top to the seal position. Started the saute mode for 60 seconds, shut it off and let the pot sit for 15 minutes. The rice turned out OK, but was not perfect like the last time. I will double check my measurements next time. Meal was not a total loss.

I did 3 cups of rice with 3 cups of water to go with black eyed peas yesterday.  I normally do 1 cup rice, 1 cup water, 4 minutes on high, and 12-13 minute natural release, but since I went to 3 cups I went 5 minutes on high pressure and 15 minutes natural release.  Worked great and rice was perfect.
Cheers,
Travis

Offline JoeK

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2020, 08:55:51 PM »
I use my IP when i'm working and still want a solid meal for dinner.  I prefer to cook the traditional way, but damn does this thing speed things up.  My favorite time savers so far:

Jerk chicken: Boneless/skinless thighs rubbed generously with Walkers Wood jerk (its a like a paste, comes in a jar), drop them in the bottom and set it on the poultry setting and let it go for 10 minutes at pressure, bleed it off, throw a bag of mini carrots in and a pound and a half or so of mini potatoes.  Fire it back up for another 10 minutes.  Serve over rice and beans.

Spaghetti squash takes an hour in the oven, 15 minutes in the IP.  I trim just a little off each end to expose some flesh, poke a whole in each end with one of my meat thermometers, and pop in on the rack with a cup or so of water in the bottom.  15 minutes on high/high, halve it and seed it when its done.  Hardest part is finding one that fits in whole.

...and creme brulee takes 6 minutes in an IP.  but the down side is you can only do a few.  I need to get a layered rack unit to be able to do about a dozen.

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »
I can’t vouch for the accuracy of this, but here it is:

Thanks, had not seen this chart. A cooking time chart with photos on thick card stock came with my IP. Both charts lack info about doing an instant or time delayed release. That is a pretty important step to leave out. Earlier in the week I watched an episode of Cook's Country doing a chuck roast in a pressure cooker. They did a 1 hour cook with a natural release. They said if you did a quick release it could break/tear the meat. I was not sure what she meant, so I did some research. It seems that a quick release will cause a lot of the moisture in the meat to escape leaving the meat dry and not moist.

For the last week I have nightly read or watched videos on roast beef recipes. The one common thread is that most of them lean towards a 1 hour cook. Some do instant release and others do a timed natural release or a plain natural release. I do get amused seeing what some people do. Comedy of errors.

I decided to try and find cook time charts for regular pressure cookers. Success! I found a few that the times seem to be in sync. They also gave suggestions on what type of release to do depending on the food. It was noted that if using a pressure cooker that only goes up to 12 psi..like the IP, increase the cooking time by 20%. I will do a test run this week. Out of the gate it will be 15 minutes per pound with a natural release.  It will give me a good starting point to see where my times should be. Kinda of reminds me when I first tried my hand at pizza, I have quite a bit of learning to do. Unlike the info on the IP being all over the place, I was lucky and found the forum with recipes that work.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2020, 06:57:14 AM »
Here’s an article about our favorite recipe, butter chicken, you can skip to the bottom for the recipe if you prefer:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot/amp

Here’s our 2nd favorite, chicken biryani, we like it with mango chutney:
https://twosleevers.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-biryani/#wprm-recipe-container-5010

The success of both recipes are dependent on your ability to make or source good garam masala. Penzeys has a good one but it’s easy to make:
https://twosleevers.com/home-made-garam-masala-recipe/

The two sleevers site is great, we also like urvashi’s chicken korma recipe.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 12:37:35 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
Here’s an article about our favorite recipe, butter chicken, you can skip to the bottom for the recipe if you prefer:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot/amp

I've made that one a few times - it's a keeper.

Bob

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2020, 08:15:22 PM »
Just made it tonight!
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2020, 11:47:56 PM »
LOVE the look of your Basmati rice! Was the rice done in the IP or a rice cooker?
Jon

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2020, 10:38:13 AM »
rice cooker, do you want the brand?

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2020, 11:03:51 AM »
Out of curiosity, what kind was it, I have the Zojirushi and albeit spendy, I love it!!!
Jon

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2020, 12:15:39 PM »
We made it last night too. Market was out of naan so I used lavash instead. And brown Basmati cooked in the stovetop pressure cooker.

Bob