A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Your favorite Instant Pot recipes  (Read 2855 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: Your favorite Instant Pot recipes
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2020, 08:35:31 PM »
 I joined Instant Pot's Community Group on Facebook today. It is amusing seeing the things they are trying to do with the IP. Like  spaghetti with meatballs and sauce. Dump it all in at once and cook away. :-D I don't think it can do everything by a long shot, but I see a lot of people trying with varied results. I have noticed that after the cook I have not seen anybody take the liquid in the pot and pour into a oil separator. Not a fan of a greasy sauce. I am going to keep a log on everything I make in the IP. I believe that will be the best option to creating reliable recipes.

For instance, there several recipes for steaming broccoli. You have to let the IP get up to temp, then the cook times are 1 to 2  minutes. I can steam broccoli in a covered bowl with a little water in the microwave for about minute and I don't have to drag out the IP and clean it up afterwards.

Did learn something from the group. I have used the IP several times and have not noticed any odors emanating from the seal. The first time I used it I placed the seal in vinegar and water for a while, then placed the lid with seal upside down on the IP to let it dry out. After that I just washed out the top lid with seal and let it dry out upside down. I have not noticed any off putting odors. Some on the community page have been doing the same thing with similar results.   

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2020, 11:11:42 PM »
As far as the odors......you will.....
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »
 ^^^

I just bought a 3 pack of new seals from Amazon, so that I have seals for savory things and others for things like the flan recipe I am about to try.

P.S. I always store the lid upside down on the pot too.
Cheers,
Travis

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2020, 07:35:52 PM »
^^^

I just bought a 3 pack of new seals from Amazon, so that I have seals for savory things and others for things like the flan recipe I am about to try.

P.S. I always store the lid upside down on the pot too.

I havent noticed any flavors or smells transferring from one cook to another, and ive even put ribs, butts, and brisket that i pre smoked in there. Yeah, the seal smells like bbq, but it doesnt ruin tommorows instant pot mashed potatoes and coca cola short ribs.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2020, 09:35:42 PM »
 I wash the top lid with soap and water and remove the seal and wash it too. I don't attach the seal to the lid but let it dry out resting on the lid which I place upside down on the IP. After a couple of days I insert the seal in the lid. I could imagine if you used the IP on a regular basis or daily the odors could be a problem. From what I understand soaking the seal in vinegar and water for a while neutralizes the odors.

I was going to pick up a chuck roast, but things have been a little crazy here. We have major storms/ tornados on the way tomorrow afternoon. A couple of hours later we are in store for a measurable snow fall. I'll pick up the roast tomorrow...going for a 3 pounder. Not sure what will happen, it will be a learning experience.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2020, 11:07:51 PM »
bregent, looks good! what did you think? I've made it with thighs and breasts, thighs are better imo.

john, lol, I meant the brand of rice, not rice cooker!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:09:24 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2020, 11:08:25 PM »
I wash the top lid with soap and water and remove the seal and wash it too. I don't attach the seal to the lid but let it dry out resting on the lid which I place upside down on the IP. After a couple of days I insert the seal in the lid. I could imagine if you used the IP on a regular basis or daily the odors could be a problem. From what I understand soaking the seal in vinegar and water for a while neutralizes the odors.

I was going to pick up a chuck roast, but things have been a little crazy here. We have major storms/ tornados on the way tomorrow afternoon. A couple of hours later we are in store for a measurable snow fall. I'll pick up the roast tomorrow...going for a 3 pounder. Not sure what will happen, it will be a learning experience.

All the vinegar in the world is not enough to neutralize the smell of meat smoked for hours on a smoker.

Offline TravisNTexas

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2020, 08:59:07 AM »
I havent noticed any flavors or smells transferring from one cook to another, and ive even put ribs, butts, and brisket that i pre smoked in there. Yeah, the seal smells like bbq, but it doesnt ruin tommorows instant pot mashed potatoes and coca cola short ribs.

I haven't either really.  I just had that "buy something on Amazon" urge  ;D
Cheers,
Travis

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2020, 06:55:09 PM »
I am doing the chuck roast tomorrow. It is 2.5 pounds. Going for 15 minutes per pound it would be a 37 minute cook. Lot of sources say 15 to 20 minutes a pound is the norm. At 20 minutes a pound the cook time will be 50 minutes. I am going to go with 20 minutes per pound and then do a natural release. It'll will be fun to see the end result.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2020, 02:18:41 AM »
I am doing the chuck roast tomorrow. It is 2.5 pounds. Going for 15 minutes per pound it would be a 37 minute cook. Lot of sources say 15 to 20 minutes a pound is the norm. At 20 minutes a pound the cook time will be 50 minutes. I am going to go with 20 minutes per pound and then do a natural release. It'll will be fun to see the end result.

I think for that weight it should be pretty close to perfection at 50 or 55 minutes with another 15 or so for a natural release. At only 37 minutes it's still going to be on the tough side. 

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2020, 07:36:14 PM »
 That was fun. My usual procedure for chuck roast is to put it in our Coney Island roasting pan, cover and place in the oven at 250 degrees for about 3 to 4 hours. It usually takes around 5 hours or more from getting everything ready, cooking, eating, and cleanup. Today's roast took just a little over 3 hours from starting to cleanup. The roast was very tender and moist. Could not get it out of the pot in one piece. Taking into consideration everything I have read or watched I used my intuition to come up with the cook time.

This is the procedure:
  The roast weighed 2.38 pounds

Add a coupe of tablespoons of oil to the IP and select saute mode.
  Once oil has come to temp, place the roast in the inner pot and sear for 3 minutes per side.
  Remove the roast to a plate. Wipe out the oil in the pot.
  Add 1.5 cups of liquid to the pot. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom. Place a steam basket or the trivet in the pot and rest the roast on top. It should not be laying in the liquid.
  Close lid and select pressure cook to high and turn off the delay and warm functions.
  Set timer to 1 hour and do a 25 minute natural release.

Did not know what to except. Either it was going to be over cooked or it was going too be tough. I opened the pot and picked off a piece of meat. It was delish! It was just as tender and juicy as any I have made in the oven, and maybe just a little bit more. The 2.38 pound roast fit perfect in the pot, don't think I would try one much bigger.

The liquid was low sodium chicken broth and 1 package of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup. I started with 1.5 cups of liquid and the roast released almost another 1.5 cups to make a total of close to 3 cups of liquid.  After the cook I poured the liquid into a grease separator. That gave me a few minutes to clean the IP, and it was quick and easy as usual. I see a lot of people make the gravy in the IP, but it is just as easy to use a sauce pan and the sides are not as high. The carrots were oven roasted at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Made the mashed potatoes with Yukon Gold's.

Very happy how it turned out. Not sure what I'll make next.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:45:53 PM by nick57 »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »
Good looking dinner, Nick.
-Tony

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2020, 02:08:49 AM »
Sushi rice:

1 cup sushi rice
1 1/8 cup water
1/4 tsp sesame oil
pressure cook for 5 minutes
release after 5 minutes
add 1/4 cup of seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp of sugar
1/4 tsp salt

stir and let sit for 15-30 min
make sushi

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:18:14 AM by FeCheF »

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2020, 09:28:07 AM »
Sushi rice:

1 cup sushi rice
1 1/8 cup water
1/4 tsp sesame oil
pressure cook for 5 minutes
release after 5 minutes
add 1/4 cup of seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp of sugar
1/4 tsp salt

stir and let sit for 15-30 min
make sushi
Looks great. That is a lot of sushi.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
  Made another batch of white rice with the IP. Cooked for 4 minutes on high pressure and did a 15 minute pressure release. Turned out perfect.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2020, 04:45:12 PM »
Chicken or Turkey stock works well in IP. I received one as a gift last year and did the usual bunch of recipes and came to the conclusion that there isn't much beyond stock that I will take the IP out of the closet for. I much prefer using Sous Vide method over IP.

Most of the recipes I read are complete BS. I love how they say cook this in 15 minutes, ignoring the heat up and cool down times. It's also tough to keep the SS bowl looking clean.

Not a fan. :(

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2020, 06:30:14 PM »
I was given an IP (3Q Ultra Mini) for Christmas. Not sure what to make of it. Seems to me a lot of the recipes involving proteins could be just as easily done in my regular stove-top pressure cooker (which is rated at 15 psi as opposed to the to the <12psi of the IP). Also not sure about recipes that brown proteins inside the IP. Love the sear that I get from my carbon-steel pans.

Going to give it an inaugural run tonight with some overnight steel cut oats. Maybe some beef cheeks next.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2020, 06:31:43 PM »
Chicken or Turkey stock works well in IP. I received one as a gift last year and did the usual bunch of recipes and came to the conclusion that there isn't much beyond stock that I will take the IP out of the closet for. I much prefer using Sous Vide method over IP.

Most of the recipes I read are complete BS. I love how they say cook this in 15 minutes, ignoring the heat up and cool down times. It's also tough to keep the SS bowl looking clean.

Not a fan. :(

I agree a lot of the recipes I have seen are BS. Most talk about how quick the cook times are, but leave out the heat up times and whether to do an instant pressure release or a timed natural release. Even Instant Pot corp makes these same mistakes. Their chart says it takes 4 minutes to cook white rice. In reality it takes 5 to 10 minutes to heat up, then a 4 minute cook and a 15 minute natural release.That is about the same time it takes me to make white rice on the stove. The only difference is I get better rice with the IP. They say 20 minutes a pound for baby backs. I did a 3 pound rack, the cook time was 22 minutes with a 15 minute slow release. If I followed IP's time, the cook time would be 60 minutes and the meat would have been overcooked and ribs bones would not have any meat on them.

I find videos on Youtube to be more reliable than blog recipes. The problem is a lot of them spend most of the video run time doing things that are not related to the cooking procedure...me thinks they like to hear themselves talk. One that stands out was 27 minutes long. The actual time demonstrating the procedure was less than 5 minutes. Making chili in the IP is a popular subject. It's just as easy to make chili on the stove and I usually make bigger batches than the IP inner pot can hold. People like cooking hard boiled eggs in the IP. I'll stick with my stovetop method and it takes about 20 minutes and I never end up with green yolks.

Two of my friends pruchased IP's. One quit using theirs. The other bought hers after seeing what I was doing. At a couple of weeks she decided that it looked too hard to master and sent it back.

I have had 2 failures, and they were do to operator error. Me bad! I am happy so far and have several things I want to try. It's not going to be something I will use daily. For ribs when it is too cold out or I don't have 4 or more hours it is perfect. I like how it cooked pot roast and want to try a pork shoulder...I see pork carnitas in my future. I will post my successes and failures in the hopes that it will be of help to others. If someone asked me should they get one my answer would be, if you don't have pretty good kitchen skills...just don't waste your money.   

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2020, 07:07:30 PM »
I don't use mine as much as I thought, but it does get used! It's a foodie toy, LOVE IT for homemade yogurt!!! And steel cut oats with beef cheeks sounds awesome!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2020, 08:13:31 PM »
And steel cut oats with beef cheeks sounds awesome!

Jon,

I wasn't thinking about combining oatmeal and beef checks. And as I do think about it, that's a hard NO WAY!  :o

I was thinking about beef cheeks in an adobo sauce for tacos.