A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Can I fix a dough with too much yeast?  (Read 558 times)

Offline zilli

• I Love Pizza!
Can I fix a dough with too much yeast?
« on: December 21, 2019, 10:01:48 PM »
Hey guys,

A little help here would be appreciate.

I'm following this recipe https://mypizzacorner.com/pizza-dough/bakers-percentage-and-pizza-dough/

- 100% 00 flour
- 60% water
- 2% salt
- 1% yeast (IDY)

The recipe explicit says instant dried yeast, and that what I used (pic attached). I'm doing a 72-hours cold fermentation. My problem is that in less then 24 hours the dough double size. My container is 3x bigger the dough, but I'm afraid the dough will keep rising and overflow. Did I underestimate the fermentation power or did I use too much yeast(I saw some recipes using only 0.5%)?

Thanks!

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Can I fix a dough with too much yeast?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 11:35:59 PM »
Not Tom... but yeah... 1% yeast is almost certainly too much for 72 hour fermentation.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 12:31:09 AM »
I only use recipes that I researched on this forum.   :chef:

Wrong yeast.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 02:42:08 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jsaras

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm following this recipe https://mypizzacorner.com/pizza-dough/bakers-percentage-and-pizza-dough/

- 100% 00 flour
- 60% water
- 2% salt
- 1% yeast (IDY)

The recipe explicit says instant dried yeast, and that what I used (pic attached). I'm doing a 72-hours cold fermentation. My problem is that in less then 24 hours the dough double size. My container is 3x bigger the dough, but I'm afraid the dough will keep rising and overflow. Did I underestimate the fermentation power or did I use too much yeast(I saw some recipes using only 0.5%)?

Thanks!

The amount of yeast is time and temperature dependent.  For what you’re doing 0.2% should do the trick.  Craig’s yeast chart will help you nail down the quantity for nearly any scenario.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
Temperature of finished dough and its temp when you put in fridge are things Dough Doc will want to know.
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 04:25:07 PM »
Hey guys,

- 100% 00 flour
- 60% water
- 2% salt
- 1% yeast (IDY)

Thanks!

FYI, the SAF-Instant Gold is for sweet dough (with a sugar content in excess of 5% of the total flour weight), not sure how it performs for regular dough.
Hans

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 04:49:07 PM »
We need to know what your finished dough temperature was, and yes 1% IDY was too much yeast. I would have suggested using 0.25 to not more than 0.3% IDY for a 72-hour fermentation period. You also want to use the SAF (RED LABEL) yeast, NOT the GOLD LABEL, as stated, the gold label is a high sugar tolerant form of IDY BUT it also has a very low tolerance to salt. Typically we see a slowing of fermentation rate when salt levels above 1% are used with this type of yeast.
My guess is that your finished dough temperature was too high which would explain the fermentation rate which you were experiencing, a good finished dough temperature to target is 70 to 75F/21.1 to 23.8C.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline ivowiblo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »
Hey, maybe i missed something, but I couldn't find any reference to idy in the recipe. It just uses dryed yeast in an example of the bakers percentage. Maybe it refears to fresh yeast in the recipe...

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 07:07:29 PM »
To help any new folks find things... here is the link to the thread with Craig's yeast chart.  This chart was invaluable to me years ago to fine tune long ferments...

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.0
All the best, Dave

wordpress