A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blitz Pastry method?  (Read 646 times)

Offline IEatPizzaByThePie

• Everybody knows the rules.
Blitz Pastry method?
« on: December 16, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »
Hey Tom! I noticed that you mentioned making dough in your class using the blitz pastry method. I'm intrigued, as this is a style not typically found in the pizza world. Would you mind elaborating on the recipe you were using?  :chef:
"Who the hell eats two cookies? I eat Fig Newtons by the sleeve. Two sleeves is a serving size!"

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Blitz Pastry method?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 12:29:04 AM »
Sure, Any regular dough formula will work for this WITH the following changes;
1) Increase fat content to 10% in the form of butter or margarine (Danish butter works far better than any other type of butter).
2) Freeze the butter and cut into peanut size pieces (keep frozen).
3) Mix the dough as you normally would (just until smooth), then add the butter and mix in just until the butter pieces are incorporated into the dough). In don't mean as a part of the dough, you just want to have the butter pieces incorporated as pieces in the the dough).
4) After mixing, turn the dough out of the bowl and sheet the dough using a rolling or pastry pin to about 1/2 to 3/4-inch thickness and give it a 4-fold (Google it if you don't know how), then cover with a sheet of plastic for 20-minutes and give it a 3-fold and wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 24-hours.
Remove dough from fridge and allow to warm to 55F, then sheet out to desired thickness (3/16 to not more than 1/4-inch thick, unless you're making a pan style pizza, then sheet it to 1/2-inch thickness) cut to desired diameter, dock with a blunt dough docker, dress and bake.
This will give you a crust similar to the old Tony's Italian Pastry Style Crust (frozen pizza).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 09:12:16 PM »
Thanks Tom!

Supposedly this can be accomplished using regular butter (ahem, I stand to differ). I'm going to try this again after I source Danish butter or at least high butterfat butter. Even when used directly from the freezer, regular butter melts almost immediately when you start rolling - sticking to the pin, workbench, and well, everything else around.
"Who the hell eats two cookies? I eat Fig Newtons by the sleeve. Two sleeves is a serving size!"

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 11:28:48 PM »
Whereas Danish butter is relatively pliable even when taken right out of the fridge and it doesn't melt like our regular domestic butter does. The Lakpur brand is what we have available to us here in Manhattan, KS. Once you try it in pastries you will never use domestic butter again.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 10:47:02 PM »
Whereas Danish butter is relatively pliable even when taken right out of the fridge and it doesn't melt like our regular domestic butter does. The Lakpur brand is what we have available to us here in Manhattan, KS. Once you try it in pastries you will never use domestic butter again.

Actually, I used to live not too far from there. I have never seen Lakpur butter, nor can I find any mention of it online. I will be keeping my eyes open in the future.

I have some Plugra in the freezer now (currently the best option available at my local store). You mention that "any regular dough formula will work," so I just wanted to clarify. The tendency is to use a low hydration formula for thin crust dough. Of course if the hydration is too low, the butter will not incorporate well into the dough mixture. I was thinking 50%. Your thoughts?

And how do you feel about shredding frozen butter? That's how I make my buttermilk biscuits.  :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:49:49 PM by IEatPizzaByThePie »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »
Actually, I used to live not too far from there. I have never seen Lakpur butter, nor can I find any mention of it online. I will be keeping my eyes open in the future.

Perhaps Tom was referring to Lurpak butter??  See www.lurpak.com

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 04:53:44 PM »
Rolls is correct with the name of the butter "LURPAK". I am sure that there are other butter brands that will work equally as well. You want to have a butter that will NOT be incorporated into the dough during mixing, shredded butter should work OK if it is a coarse shred. As for dough absorption I think 50% is too low, I'd go with 55% or a little more. If you cut the finished dough with a sharp knife you MUST be able to see the pieces of intact butter in the dough. The larger the pieces of butter the more predominant the flake will be.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 11:15:37 PM »
Best $12.44 you will ever spend on a cheese/butter/potato shredder! A few people have this shredder here!!! Shreds the size of a pelican head shredder!!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VLV6Q/?tag=pmak-20
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 04:23:50 AM »
Sounds a bit like part-puff/rough puff pastry.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 01:26:30 PM »
But puff pastry dough doesn't contain any yeast.

wordpress