A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza alla Romana in a wood fired oven  (Read 593 times)

Offline Tofu_Grandpa

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza alla Romana in a wood fired oven
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »
Hello,

I've been wanting to attempt a style similar to Pizza alla Romana, but cooked in a wood fired oven. Here's my first attempt. The dough was 80% hydration and 30% semolina flour, cold fermented for 48h. I've not used semolina in pizza before as I usually bake NY (ish) style but I think the semolina helped with handling the high hydration.

The first one was baked with a small amount of olive oil on top and then when it came out I brushed it with more oil and sprinkled it with salt. It was really nice. It had a nice crisp but was super light.

The second was the same but with the addition of adding strained plum tomatoes before bake. Again, really light and a little crisp, although the thickness wasn't as even across the whole pizza.

I found it much easier than I anticipated to bake this style in a wood fired oven. For some reason I thought it would be difficult to maintain a steady enough temperature but turns out it was actually simple. The flame was super low and I basically cooked with the residual heat from baking pizzas earlier in the day.

Thanks for having a look!

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
Re: Pizza alla Romana in a wood fired oven
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 08:34:27 PM »
nice pie!

I do pala style when my pop ups involve a WFO always works well.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T