A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Joe Heffernan/The Independent, Seattle/ChefSteps dough recipe  (Read 1574 times)

Offline BostonBestEats

• Clearly you need more Hawaiian pizza in your life
Joe Heffernan/The Independent, Seattle/ChefSteps dough recipe
« on: December 24, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
I'm not an experienced pizza maker (have made a few in my oven with a baking steel or cast iron pan using Kenji's dough recipes over the years), but I just got a Breville Pizzaiolo oven and decided to try the Heffernan dough first (since I'm a big fan of ChefSteps' recipes in general).

His recipe is:
100% bread flour (King Arthur's Unbleached Bread Flour, 12.7% protein)
65% water
0.24% IDY
2.17% salt

Knead with stand mixer 7.5 min on medium, large ball 5-8 hr 65F ferment, then small balls overnight ferment in fridge, then 20 min to warm at room temp.

My questions are pretty basic: In general what will be the consequences of using American bread flour as opposed to Caputo 00?

I think I read somewhere that Heffernan's WFO is more in the 600F range.  Would this style dough not be suitable for higher temps (the Pizziaolo can get to >750F)?

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 04:23:28 PM by BostonBestEats »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Joe Heffernan/The Independent, Seattle/ChefSteps dough recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 11:30:45 AM »
I can't say much about your dough process as you don't include the finished dough temperature, but I can say that 20-minutes for the dough to warm to 50 to 60F (NOT ROOM TEMPERATURE) is mmuucchh too short, instead use a thermometer to measure the internal dough ball temperature to determine the time for your specific conditions.
To replace your bread flour with Caputo "00" flour is totally possible but I would advise you to select a flour with a long fermentation tolerance if you plan on following your present procedure. Any oven that will bake at 700F or higher will handle the "00" flours just fine.
Also, be aware that all flours are different so you may need to adjust the dough absorption with the new flour.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Tom, although most of that went over my head lol.

When you refer to "finished dough temperature", what step are you referring too?

Can you recommend a good book that covers these sorts of basics?  I know there's a lot of information on this site, but it's rather dispersed and overwhelming, so I think a good book on the subject would be a good starting place for me.

I'm going to wing this first batch with the King Arthur and see what happens...

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »

My questions are pretty basic: In general what will be the consequences of using American bread flour as opposed to Caputo 00?

I think I read somewhere that Heffernan's WFO is more in the 600F range.  Would this style dough not be suitable for higher temps (the Pizziaolo can get to >750F)?

Not the Dr. here, but to answer your basic question above:  The bread flour is malted, unlike the 00 flour, and will brown up quicker than the 00 which has no malt.  The 00 flours are typically used at higher temps (750F +). The bread flour would be used for more of a NY type pie and 600F would be fine but it will be a pretty quick bake, say 3 to 4 min.

Certainly go ahead and try the recipe as written, but many here might modify it and the dough handling a bit.  For instance:

- Increase the IDY to 0.4% or so.
 - Ball and into the fridge without the 5 to 8 hr room temp rise
 - After the fridge leave it at room temp for 1 to 2 hours before opening the balls.  It might be tough to open after only 20 min.

The finished dough temp is the temperature of the dough after mixing and kneading.  If the balls are going right into the fridge, with no long room temp rise first, the mid 70's F is a good temp to shoot for.  I'm not sure about what temp to shoot for with the long room temp rise  and lower IDY quanity your recipe recommends.  Lower than the mid 70's though.

Just my 2 cents worth.  Have fun and let us know how it turns out!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:53:40 PM by parallei »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 12:48:20 PM »
BostonBestEats,

Many years ago Tom wrote an article on the subject of finished dough temperature for PMQ. The original article disappeared but it was archived at the Wayback Machine at:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070502014430/http://www.pmq.com/mag/2003spring/tom_lehmann.shtml

Peter

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  Here's the recipe, if anyone wants to look at it.  It's been mentioned a few times before on this site (probably because of the ChefSteps connection giving it wide distribution).

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/life-changing-pizza-dough-with-joe-heffernan-of-seattle-s-independent-pizzeria

The bread flour is malted, unlike the 00 flour, and will brown up quicker than the 00 which has no malt.  The 00 flours are typically used at higher temps (750F +). The bread flour would be used for more of a NY type pie and 600F would be fine but it will be a pretty quick bake, say 3 to 4 min.

I suspected something like that was the case, since his pizza seems to be a bit of a hybrid.  I've seen a review mention it was a bit thicker than a traditional Neopolitan, and the tip doesn't droop so it is not a soft.

Already learned a ton, and I haven't even baked a pizza yet lol.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »
Hang with us and you'll be making great pizzas in short order. Parallei's advice is spot-on. I have a Dough Management Procedure posted here that you might try, it's easy to follow and makes a good pizza too, then once you have mastered that you can begin experimenting with variations to the formula or dough management procedure to satisfy your curiosity or make a pizza that is more specific to your likes.
The most important thing is to have fun of your pizza journey!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 07:40:46 AM »
Looking at the recipe, I suspect he means ADY not IDY, and still, it's a pretty heavy conversion.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »
Looking at the recipe, I suspect he means ADY not IDY, and still, it's a pretty heavy conversion.

Yes, ADY, sorry.  Unfortunately, my ADY was 3 months past its expiration date and apparently completely dead.  I'll have to try again tomorrow lol.

Where can I find Tom's Dough Management Procedure?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »
Where can I find Tom's Dough Management Procedure?

See https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=43833.msg438770#msg438770. There are also videos at the end of the thread.

Peter