A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 20" (50cm Pies) im up to 24oz (700g) dough balls to get up to size  (Read 559 times)

Offline JohnBaker

• I Love Pizza!
Hi Tom

Been working for a while here in Berlin on getting a proper New York slice and getting pretty close. Im using a 5 Stagioni Manitoba and with 700g balls im getting up to size and keeping a nice thin crust with a good cornichon. What im wondering about though is according to all the general guidelines i read regarding dough/square inch I should be somewhere around the 550g range. Im sure this varies to an extent with the elasticity of various brands of flour but this seems to be a considerable jump.

We did lots of tests starting at 500g going up by 50g increments and we may even need to go up to 750g to stretch the slice pies and keep to go product at 700g.

I mean the product speaks for itself and the thickness is definitely where I remember a true NYS to be (i'd say at the 3-5mm range) but Im just curious if im calculating this wrong, 700g is a lot of dough.

Any input much appreciated!

John

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:20:30 AM by JohnBaker »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: 20" (50cm Pies) im up to 24oz (700g) dough balls to get up to size
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »
John;
From the looks of the pizzas in your pictures I'd say your pizzas are somewhat thicker than a typical New York pizza, however it's YOUR pizza and YOUR version of a New York pizza so it is what it is. If your customers like it....go for it. Case in point, we have AJ's New York Pizza, Google: AJ's New York Pizza, Manhattan, Kansas. As the name indicates we sell a New York style pizza (by the slice) but the pizza is different from a true New York slice in that it is crispy (more of a New Haven style pizza), so crispy that one can pick a slice up by holding just the edge (something you could NEVER do with a true New York slice) but yet people just love it (five awards for best pizza in 10-years) and three stores, so Adam is doing something right. You HAVE to play to the preferences of YOUR audience! A true N.Y. slice would never sell here as it is much too soft, so we made it crispy and people HERE love it. If 700 or 750 grams of dough works for whatever size you are making and people like it.......go for it!!!! Never over think success, just accept it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline JohnBaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply! Yes I figured as much and my approach from the get go was/is that I am not making anyone else’s pizza, I’m making mine and will be listening very carefully (but with a grain of salt) to my customers feedback for fine tuning.

Cheers
John

Offline Michiel

• Passion for Pizza
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 06:31:50 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply! Yes I figured as much and my approach from the get go was/is that I am not making anyone else’s pizza, I’m making mine and will be listening very carefully (but with a grain of salt) to my customers feedback for fine tuning.

Cheers
John

John,

I'm going to Berlin in 2020.
Can you reply or PM me the spot you work?

Pizzas look really, really, really good.

Greetings

Offline JohnBaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
Sorry for the delayed reaction. We hope to have the spot open by springtime, hit me up when your visit gets closer and hopefully I have good news.

Cheers
J

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:51:23 PM »
We are at 22oz for 16" pies here at work!  :o

People complained our crust was "too thin" when we opened up. We've settled on 22oz and people are giving us RAVE reviews now... listen to your people. Give them what they want! :)

Offline JohnBaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 10:33:44 AM »

People complained our crust was "too thin" when we opened up. We've settled on 22oz and people are giving us RAVE reviews now... listen to your people. Give them what they want! :)

The most common response I get from locals when telling them about making NYS is 'yeah thats the really thick American pizza right?' they're not referring to Sicilian or Chicago as far as I know, I think its a common misconception because its a bigger pie and they are used to Neopolitan style so everything seems massive in comparison to this daintier personal pie experience.

Though the manitoba flour i'm using is very strong, stretching up to 20" seems to be a challenge below 700g, im trying out a new flour in the coming weeks, hopefully I can get a better result.

Obviously all this is theoretical until theres a space with continuous production and customer feedback to make all the fine tunings and adjustments. Im sure this will go well into the first years in operation until I have something that hits the spot but so far the feedback has been extremely positive so im very encouraged.

cheers
j

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 01:17:01 PM »
Obviously all this is theoretical until theres a space with continuous production and customer feedback to make all the fine tunings and adjustments. Im sure this will go well into the first years in operation until I have something that hits the spot but so far the feedback has been extremely positive so im very encouraged.

cheers
j
Sometimes, when you get the answer you wanted to a question or one that you like it’s a good idea to stop asking.

Throughout several years in business I was pushed to “do a survey” by people who wanted to put such a thing together for me. I already had the customer names and addresses, knew what kind of music they typically bought, how many CDs they had ever bought from me, and when was the last time they bought anything. I think I did two surveys in 15 years in the music business to a sorted, select group of customers. Direct mail in-house, it was pretty effective. I always said, though, you should never conduct a survey unless you are willing to act on the results.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:18:50 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline ChiPizzaguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 10:52:49 AM »

Were you trying to be give an authentic NY pizza? And they said it was too thin? This is just my opinion, but if that was me I wouldn’t have budged on that. If I took the time to educate myself, and practice, and perfect the NY pizza, why would I have to adjust to peoples take on a pizza being “too thin”.  Maybe they dont know what a good NY slice is?

Now I get that you are running a business and that works for you, but man I gotta ask you.....did that bother you a little bit at first? I’m just curious lol.

Offline ChiPizzaguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 10:55:43 AM »
The most common response I get from locals when telling them about making NYS is 'yeah thats the really thick American pizza right?' they're not referring to Sicilian or Chicago as far as I know, I think its a common misconception because its a bigger pie and they are used to Neopolitan style so everything seems massive in comparison to this daintier personal pie experience.

Though the manitoba flour i'm using is very strong, stretching up to 20" seems to be a challenge below 700g, im trying out a new flour in the coming weeks, hopefully I can get a better result.

cheers
j

Thats how it is in Chicago everything has to be big and large to be justified as a “good” pizza, kids these days don’t appreciate authentic style pizza regardless of what it is.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 11:57:38 AM »
We typically use 10-ounces of dough to make a 12-inch N.Y. style pizza, this calculates to a dough loading of 2.4778-grams per square inch. A 20-inch pizza has 314-square inches so 314 X 2.4778 = 778-grams. So based on this a good dough weight for your 20-inch N.Y. style pizza would be 778-grams.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

wordpress