A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: purpose of oil  (Read 888 times)

Offline JWFPIZZZA

• I Love Pizza!
purpose of oil
« on: December 31, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »
Tom can you explain the reason for oil in dough, I am doing around a 3-4 minute bake around 700 on the deck wood fired pizza. what exactly would the inclusion of oil do to my dough, would it expedite browning? add tenderness?

Thanks tom.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: purpose of oil
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
Tom can you explain the reason for oil in dough, I am doing around a 3-4 minute bake around 700 on the deck wood fired pizza. what exactly would the inclusion of oil do to my dough, would it expedite browning? add tenderness?

Thanks tom.
JFWPIZZA,

You will find several items on your question, including several by Tom, at Reply 4 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48803.msg490049#msg490049

Peter

Offline JWFPIZZZA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 08:58:12 AM »
Thank you!

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »
I am baking at 550 on the deck. Propane oven. My dough is MUCH better with oil in it. Try it yourself and see. There really is no comparison to me. Tom told me to add some and I am sure glad I did. He always says it "holds in" the flavours.

Offline colebg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 08:29:17 PM »
oil can actually inhibit gluten development if added too early.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 11:21:32 PM »
oil can actually inhibit gluten development if added too early.

Yup... that's why Tom always recommends the delayed oil addition method.  :chef:

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 02:03:55 AM »
It can/will both inhibit and prevent gluten development if added too soon. It prevents it by soaking into the flour before the flour hydrates, once the flour absorbs oil before water that portion of the flour which has become oil soaked cannot form gluten, we found that this is what led to everyone thinking that the weather influenced how much water the dough would absorb. This was when everyone was putting the water and oil in the bowl at the same time, the oil would float to the top of the water, then the flour was added and the oil soaked into a portion of the flour, this impacted how the dough felt (when more flour was oil soaked the dough felt soft (less gluten development) so flour was added to the dough, is less flour was oil soaked the dough felt firmer due to more gluten being developed sometimes leading to more water being added to the dough. This was blamed on the outside weather, now you know the truth, Mother Nature was found innocent. By using the delayed oil mixing method the flour is allowed to hydrate prior to the addition of the oil and dough consistency is restored.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 11:49:34 PM »
Not that Tom needs any help, but another way to negate this effect, is to use a solid fat. I use oil in my pizza dough, but use butter in my bread. I can add it right up front without any worries. Another hat tip to Tom for informing me of this fact!! :D