A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: January 2020 Monthly Challenge: An unusual topping combination that you like  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Happy New Year, everyone! Do you remember 2019? It's as if it were yesterday? :D

OK. This one is pretty self-explanatory from the subject line.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
I hope we got lots of participation in this challenge. I am always looking to steal, I mean be inspired by, pizza topping combinations.

Offline ARenko

Nothing yet?  I hope to cook mine on Monday, but it depends how one of my toppings comes out tonight.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I'm planning to bake my entry next week. I hope others, like me, are recovering from the holidays, and will join in soon!

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
Today I went shopping for what is, for me, an unusual topping.  I will bake it off tomorrow evening!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:14:22 PM by parallei »

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
I tried!  This is a combo I don't do often, Broccoli Rabe and sausage.  I believe I first saw it here on a photo someone had taken on a trip to Italy.  The slight bitterness Broccoli Rabe goes well with the richness of the cheese and sausage. (Hint for Easter dinner cooks:  Broccoli Rabe is a great side with lamb.)

The attached photo shows the pie after the BURNT portions of the pie were cut out with a pair of scissors. (Hint for Breville users:  Don't answer the door after launching a pie.)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Broccoli Rabe was one of my dad's favorites. He passed away before I went full pizza crazy. In my open a pizza place daydream, the broccoli rabe pie would be named for him.

Looks great.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Only differences were the cheese blend and a lot if grated Percirino Romano on edges.  Wanted to see if the Pecorino Romano would get extra crispy.  It worked.  Blend of the other cheeses were mild white cheddar, extra sharp cheddar and Bella Fran mozzarella in normal amounts and also cheesed to edges.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
Norma

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
I’ll submit this as my first entry, Italian dry sausage and jalapeño, 50-50 cheddar/mozz with a drizzle of honey.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
This time I'm in, and I did make the pizza in January!

Spanish salad theme: mix of green salad, red pepper stuffed green olives, red pepper slices, chorizo, and Mantego cheese.

It's not very unusual, but it changes from the eternal arugula-prosciutto-mozzarella!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
This may have been my first dessert pizza 14 years ago: fig sauce, Armagnac, and robiola bosina cheese:

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
that looks amazing bill! My sense is that Armagnac is expensive? we have a bottle in our cellar that a wine shop owner gave us, I could crack that open but I think it's from 1963...

anyhow, would it be possible to post the recipe?
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
that looks amazing bill! My sense is that Armagnac is expensive? we have a bottle in our cellar that a wine shop owner gave us, I could crack that open but I think it's from 1963...

anyhow, would it be possible to post the recipe?

Thanks! This dish was inspired by a recipe for Crepes with Goat Cheese, Fig Jam, Toasted Walnuts. The sauce is:

1 cup fig jam
1T unsalted butter
1-2T Armagnac, Cognac, or brandy

Heat the jam and butter together until spreadable
Remove from heat
Stir in booze

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
...we have a bottle in our cellar that a wine shop owner gave us, I could crack that open but I think it's from 1963...

Life is too short to hoard a bottle like that. What are you waiting for? The bottle I use for this sauce I've had open since 2006 and it's still perfectly fine.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Dang double post !

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Well...1963 is my wife’s birth year and in three years she has a big birthday. I’m thinking that’s the day we’ll break it open! Thanks for the recipe!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
When the month started, I had every intention of making a pizza for this challenge. Unfortunately, there was never any pizza made. Never even got to the place I wanted to stop by to shop for  toppings. I was flirting with the idea of making some pizza this weekend but I' don't think it will happen. I do enjoy thinking about these challenges and I'll try to be back next month. Please keep the challenges coming!

Offline nickyr

Beddia’s spring cream, garlic, Calabrian chiles, mascarpone, radicchio, black pepper, olive oil. Not that weird, but unusual. My girlfriend’s favorite combo that I make.

wordpress