A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Napoletana diary  (Read 657 times)

Offline stefan

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Napoletana diary
« on: January 03, 2020, 04:24:56 PM »
Hi guys,

my pizza journey has been a long one with different stations: as most people, I started with my standard home oven, which didn’t satisfy me for a long time, especially when things like AVPN dough and long fermentation times came into my perspective. The next station was a quite professional OEM MF1 oven, that I bought in a bad condition for 50 bucks from the garage of a bar where it had stood for some years.  This one made it up to 400°C/750°F. I „renovated“ it and used it for some years until one of the heating elements broke – a good occasion to step up and get a hotter oven! Another quite influental factor was my visit to Napoli this year I think – crazy to see that you get GREAT pies there at every corner. I loved it!

As result, I bought an Ooni Koda as it’s the best solution for me - I don’t have a garden and therefor no possibility for a WFO or any other option which is heated by anything else than gas. The Koda works nice on my balcony!

As I love to read the several „journey-threads“, I also wanted to start one for myself, to get some more opinions! I’m going to start with this years NYE party results right now!  ;D

I prepared four different doughs for this occasion:

Dough 1: the one with the longest fermentation as one of my favourite pizza places in Germany uses this schedule and I always really liked it.

100% Caputo Red
65% water
3% salt
0,17% fresh yeast

Schedule: 2 hours bulk at RT (20°C/68°F) after mixing, 72 hours balled CF at about 6°C/42°F

Dough 2: My standard formula

100% Caputo Red
63% water
3% salt
0,06% fresh yeast

Schedule: 30 hours in total at RT, thereof 22 hours bulk and about 8 hours balled

Dough 3: My standard formula like Dough 2, but with 100% spelt flour as two of the guests get some stomach problems from wheat doughs.

Dough 4: Biga – as I was quite curious after the more and more upcoming biga topic and some nice experiences in Naples and around, I thought this would be a great opportunity to test it out. Big thanks to member DoouBall at this point for supporting! :)

Biga:

100% Caputo Nuvola Super
45% Hydration
1% fresh yeast (in relation to the full flour amount)

Final Dough:

33% Caputo Nuvola Super (Biga)/67% Caputo Nuvola
67% water
3% salt
No more yeast added

Schedule:

16 hours biga maturation
6 hours bulk fermentation at RT
24 hours balled CF

Unfortunately, I did not have many chances to take photos as people were literally already waiting  in front of the oven! So – pictures of two pies attached :-) Both of them were created with my standard dough aka Dough 2 as they were the only leftover doughs after the guests were pleased ;D

Some of my notes:

Dough 1 was a little tricky to handle, even if I brought it to RT for about one hour. Great taste though! Maybe the best taste of all doughs, but not as fluffly as the others. Dough 2 aka my standard formula turned out great - it has proved why I use it that often! Great to work with, nice and fluffy cornicione, beautiful color. A little less taste than dough 1, but much better to handle. The spelt dough was really really soft and almost not workable - seems like the flour couldn't handle the hydration, even it was a "strong" one with about 13% protein content. The Biga also had a nice taste, but to be honest - not that much difference. I think, I was the only person noticing any difference  :D A little more puffy than the others, but I can achieve the same result with shorter time in balls with the standard dough and a strong flour.

Pictures attached:
1) Passata, Mozz, Arugula, Parma and Burrata
2) Margherita with some fresh tomatoes added

Cheers!
Stefan

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Napoletana diary
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 07:08:09 AM »
Lovely!  :drool:

How many grams are your dough balls?

Offline stefan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 07:27:02 AM »
Lovely!  :drool:

How many grams are your dough balls?

Hi Arne, thank you :) Usually I make 260 grams!

Offline stefan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »
Only one Quattro Formaggi today .. Provola, Pecorino Romano, Fior di Latte di Agerola and Gorgonzola - liked this one!

Offline Hoppy1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 02:50:35 PM »
What is your water temp in dough #2 for kneading, or final dough temp after kneading?

Offline stefan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »
What is your water temp in dough #2 for kneading, or final dough temp after kneading?

I try to get the FDT as exact as possible to the RT at that I want to store the dough as I calculate the yeast for that temperature. Mostly I use water from the fridge at about 6 degrees celsius, after kneading the dough comes out at about 20-22 degrees celsius (which is my RT here at the moment). I don‘t cool the flour before making the dough.

Offline Hoppy1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 03:08:18 PM »
Awesome thank you, i kinda guessed that would be the case.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 12:41:00 PM »
Only one Quattro Formaggi today .. Provola, Pecorino Romano, Fior di Latte di Agerola and Gorgonzola - liked this one!
Sounds delicious, and what a looker! Beautiful cornicione, nice and puffy. Love the coloring too.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »
How big are those pizzas??

I usually use 270 grams and stretch them to 13" but sometimes it seems to thin.   Been thinking about using 300 grams for 13" or sticking with 270 and making them a bit smaller. 

Any suggestions.

Oh yeah your pizzas look great.

Jerry

Offline stefan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 04:25:26 PM »
How big are those pizzas??

I usually use 270 grams and stretch them to 13" but sometimes it seems to thin.   Been thinking about using 300 grams for 13" or sticking with 270 and making them a bit smaller. 

Any suggestions.

Oh yeah your pizzas look great.

Jerry

The two pizzas in the first post were 260, the last one from yesterday was 280. I think I‘m going to stay with that as it‘s not becoming too thin.

wordpress