A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A tale of two st Augustine Pizzerias: Pizza Time and Rufinos  (Read 494 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
A tale of two st Augustine Pizzerias: Pizza Time and Rufinos
« on: January 04, 2020, 01:17:43 PM »
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  :D  We had just moved into our beach condo in st Augustine Florida but found our oven incapable of making good pizza and I had a hate-hate relationship with Florida pizza. (some of it so vile its been spit into a napkin). It became obvious I had to conduct a pizza search. So this is the tale of two pizza shops purporting to sell NYC pizza, one rated number two in the country with lines out the door and the better pizza maker operating in relative obscurity in an outlet food court.

A week or two after my failed pizza bakes, we were strolling through the old city of st Augustine and happened upon Pizza Time Pizzeria. The first thing I noticed was the shop window blaring "Brooklyn, NY Pizza" and a large USA today reprint lauding their number two tripadvisor ranking. The second thing I noticed was the line, which stretched out the door and halfway down the block. We returned later in the week to find a short line and decided to give it a try. Walking in the door, I took the stacks of AT flour and Saporito as a good sign. Now on the line to order, I got a good look at the slices and they sure didn't look like anything I've seen in Brooklyn. The cheese and toppings were very heavy, heavier even than NYC suburb slices.

My wife and I decided to share a plain and Sicilian slice for our first visit. The plain slice was huge by NYC standards and the ratios were all off: too much cheese and sauce. Still, the individual components were good, the crust and sauce flavorful and topped with grande cheese. The Sicilian was garlicky but satisfying. My first good slices of Florida pizza and we look forward to returning!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:01:19 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: A tale of two st Augustine pizzerias
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »
A week later, we found ourselves at a tesla supercharger in an outlet mall. My SIL wanted something to eat, we found our way to the food court and while my SIL wolfed down some horrid fast-food concoction, I checked out the busy pizza stand. When the pace lightened, I asked the owner if he used grande and if so, would he sell me some. Apparently I was the first person in the history of the shop to ask this question and we struck up a conversation about home pizza making. In the end, he agreed to sell me a pound and offered me a pepperoni slice to try.

The slices didn't look great, I initially turned it down but he insisted, basically putting the slice in my hand. I took it back to our table, took a bite, and couldn't believe how good it was. The crust was full of flavor, clearly not same day dough, and had an eggshell texture I've come to love. The sauce was delicious, and the ratios just right.

After I finished the slice I paid my compliments and learned hed purchased the store from a guy that had a pizza shop in Staten Island. The formulation and process (which includes 2-3 day dough depending on traffic) have been left unchanged. I believe this pizza, served in NYC would get rave reviews.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:14:59 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline JoeK

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 02:10:38 PM »
I do love me some burrata.  not sure about that though.  suppose id try it.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
Which one of those many styles was the award winner?
-Tony

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 08:42:44 PM »
QD...those photos need very little captioning
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 08:47:43 PM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: A tale of two st Augustine Pizzerias: Pizza Time and Rufinos
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 12:48:30 AM »
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 05:12:00 AM »
Here was my take from just over a year ago.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=54133.msg543906#msg543906
I remember your photo of the stacked ingredients now. That was a good post. Only one of those slices looks like something I would like to try. Ill say this for them though: appears they are consistent in what they put out judging from and comparing your photos last year and QDs recently. Looking forward to hearing QDs thoughts on it. In re-reading his thread title it appears we are going to find out some of these came from a second place called Rufinos and that both are in St. Augustine, FL rather than NY?
-Tony

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 08:21:32 AM »
Nice.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
I thought that sign looked familiar...

That second place has a nice thin slice

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 01:58:50 PM »
Here was my take from just over a year ago.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=54133.msg543906#msg543906

omigod Hans, just finished editing my writeup, noticed you had posted above and found we wrote almost exactly the same thing!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:01:46 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 02:05:35 PM »
I thought that sign looked familiar...

That second place has a nice thin slice

true matt, but you can make out a couple of flaws in the slice, which is why I turned it down in the first place. I expected to throw it out after the first bite, what a surprise!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 05:51:39 PM »
omigod Hans, just finished editing my writeup, noticed you had posted above and found we wrote almost exactly the same thing!!

Great minds... :-D
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 08:13:55 PM »
Just found this picture on my wifes phone, one can see what Hans meant by floppy in his thread.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:46:10 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »
Wow, could be the camera angle, but that slice looks huge!
Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 07:11:42 PM »
matt, it is indeed a huge slice! I'm a little more enthusiastic about the slice than hans given that everything else I'd had in the state has been terrible. I guess the old saw about a one-eyed man in the land of the blind comes to mind.

to be fair, if I found two decent places in st Augustine and given the large migration of NYers to Florida, the pizza landscape has probably improved.  Still, my brothers like a place in their home town, it was pretty terrible and the other 3 places I tried in st augustine were bad.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 08:44:43 PM by quietdesperation »