A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Buddy's Pizza (Conant Avenue) Detroit  (Read 336 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• AndrewBellucci.com
Buddy's Pizza (Conant Avenue) Detroit
« on: January 05, 2020, 04:18:32 PM »
So my first night in Ann Arbor back in August 2019, we ordered three pizzas.  Two were from local Ann Arbor pizza joints, N.Y.P.D. and Pizza House, nothing to write home about.  The third pie was from the Buddy's newest location, also in Ann Arbor.  It was shockingly bad.  Soft, no crunch, devoid of flavor, really dressed up white bread.  And not very good white bread.  I chalked it up to:  Ann Arbor, Saturday night, delivery, new location. 

I knew eventually I'd try the original location in Detroit, figuring it was gonna be like Frank Pepe's: I love the New Haven FP's, but their Yonkers branch makes a totally different pizza, twice the thickness of the original.

So off to Detroit we went on the first Saturday of 2020.

The original Buddy's is on Conant Street at the corner of East McNichols Rd (a/k/a 6 Mile Road).  It's got a big parking lot so easy to get in and out.  We entered thru the bar entrance on E. McNichols, just under the Buddy's signage.  The place is awesome inside, nice bar and booths alongside.  There's another dining room off the bar area and then the main dining room up a couple of stairs.  Place was 3/4 full at 4pm.

So the pizza:  some of the best I've ever had anywhere.  We ordered two pies, a 4-square Detroit-style (Detroiter)and a "Detroit's Original Square Sicilian Style Thin Crust Pizza (The New Yorker) that was cut in 6.

The Detroiter was perfect: the crust perfect, light, crunchy and perfect topping ratios. Pepperoni on top, tomatoes, shaved parmesan and great spices.

The Sicilian style was about half the height as Detroit style, closer to what I call a Grandma pie in NY as opposed to a NYC Sicilian.  But that's just semantics the pies were fantastic.

Service was perfect and the check for the two pies and a couple of beers was $37.  Extremely reasonable!

I can't wait to go back and have a couple other pies and taste some other menu items.

Pie Man
201 OG

You don't bet on how the horse starts.
You bet on how the horse finishes.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Buddy's Pizza (Conant Avenue) Detroit
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 05:48:30 PM »
I agree, very good pizza there. A few weeks ago I went to one of their newest shops downriver. It was not at all like the pizza at Rendezvous. Let me know when you go agan, I'll meet you there.
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »
I met Hans and Brian Spangler there not quite 2 years ago. That was a good night!
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 06:28:52 PM »
I met Hans and Brian Spangler there not quite 2 years ago. That was a good night!

Yes it was!
Hans

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• AndrewBellucci.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »
I agree, very good pizza there. A few weeks ago I went to one of their newest shops downriver. It was not at all like the pizza at Rendezvous. Let me know when you go agan, I'll meet you there.

It was so good we almost went back today!  But I had other things on the menu...

I'll definitely let you know when we head back to Buddy's!
Pie Man
201 OG

You don't bet on how the horse starts.
You bet on how the horse finishes.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 10:20:54 PM »
I wish we had gotten there more when my son was at u mich. Still, there was plenty of good stuff to eat in ann arbor proper.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

wordpress