A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Peter Reinhart's Perfect Pan Pizza  (Read 662 times)

Offline Gene in Acadiana

Peter Reinhart's Perfect Pan Pizza
« on: March 05, 2020, 09:09:19 PM »
I ran across Reinhart's latest book for a cheap price online recently so I ordered a copy, hoping to possibly fine tune my Detroit and Sicilian dough recipes, and maybe learn a little more about what makes Roman style dough so unique, and even maybe make a grandma style once in a while to mix it up. I thought it would be good to have a well-researched and authoritative source for all of these different styles of square pan pizzas and see how each dough recipe differs.

Well, guess what? According to Reinhart, they don't. They're all the same and you can use the same high hydration dough to make everything from Detroit to Roman style. And not just any pan pizzas, perfect pan pizzas, no less. Unbelievably, Reinhart provides one main "master" dough for EVERY single style of pan pizza in the book - a white (bread) flour dough with an 80% hydration rate and lots of oil. There's also two alternative master doughs - one whole grain country-style and one naturally leavened. But whichever one you choose, it doesn't matter to Reinhart, he's perfectly fine with it. To hell with tradition and authenticity.

To make matters worse, his white dough recipe is very similar to his focaccia recipe from his Bread Baker's Apprentice book. I actually didn't even want to waste time and ingredients trying any of the recipes as I was so disappointed in the complete dismissal of any differences in the crust of any of these different styles of pan pizza, but I went ahead and tried the Sicilian recipe using the white bread flour dough and a 48 hour cold ferment.

So what did it taste like? Focaccia with red sauce and mozzarella.   

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Peter Reinhart's Perfect Pan Pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 10:28:50 PM »
Hes laughing all the way to the bank and on to the next pizza convention.  Must be nice.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
I am far from an expert on the different types of pan pizzas, but I have been really enjoying the pizzas I have been making from this book using his naturally-leavened dough recipe and my own riffs on his toppings. These are some of the best pizzas I have ever eaten in over 50 years as a Neapolitan-style snob. But I think this has less to do with Reinhart's recipes and more to do with baking them in the Breville pizza oven - where I can more precisely control the temperature distribution - specifically a really hot deck to get a perfectly browned bottom and a lower top temperature to keep the toppings from over cooking. I don't presume that any of these delicious pizzas are authentic in any way, but I am glad that this book has introduced me to this new territory for exploration.

Online apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »
Bill, perhaps you remember this thread. It kind of put me out me over the edge and I eventually returned the book. Perhaps Peter should have had a wider discussion about potential problems.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=58662.msg588581#msg588581
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:50:18 PM by apizza »
Marty

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »
Hes laughing all the way to the bank and on to the next pizza convention.  Must be nice.

yes exactly yet some here still want to be a cop-out person because Reinhart is sort of famous. ??   ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline fizzixMike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
I also bought the book.  It has pretty pictures and somewhat interesting topping ideas.  Otherwise, I agree it's completely disappointing . His coverage of dough handling is terrible:  not enough procedural details and too many shortcuts (like letting a roman style pie rise in the pan in the fridge?).

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
Free download as EBook at my library so I'll see what the guy has to say without cost or obligation.  ;D

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • A heaven without pizza would have limited appeal
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 03:34:54 PM »
I went to a pizza making class taught by Peter Reinhart. It was useless, and after he made a few pizzas, he had us all try them and claimed that it is the best pizza we will ever taste. I think that he is a marketing machine as much as anything.

wordpress