A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style  (Read 747 times)

Offline mdiberardino

• It's just pizza
Detroit Style
« on: January 06, 2020, 08:25:36 PM »
Hi All,

Had my first attempt at a Detroit style last night and while the overall end product was decent, it's clear I have some adjustments to make.  But my most pressing question is: how does one remove the pie from the pan without destroying that most pristine yet delicate frico?  I started scraping down the sides of the pan with a thin spatula oh so gently but chipped away at those cheese crisps in the process.  They just look so nice I was disappointed to ruin them in the transfer process.

Also, has anyone tried par-baking the dough before adding all that cheese and sauce?  I'm wondering if a nice little 10 minute steam bake (covering the pan, trapping the steam while it begins the bake) might provide some great oven spring before adding the weight of the toppings--similar to the way one would do some Dutch Oven sourdough baking.  Has anyone tried this method?  Either for Detroit or more straightforward Sicilian/square slices? 

Thanks again!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Detroit Style
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 09:00:11 PM »
Detroit Style is not typically par baked. I use the spatula in the first photo here to get the pizza out without harming the cheese/crust: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42012.0
Hans

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress