A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Perfect thing to do with those Extra Alta Cucina's?... Tomato Soup.  (Read 199 times)

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
I buy the #10 cans of Stanislaus products. I usually only use 28oz of product to make my Pizza sauces. Sometimes a double batch but I always have left over tomatoes. I end making a lot of Pasta sauces but I also throw Tomato Soup into the mix because.... well... Tomato Soup. Here is a fantastic recipe for Tomato Soup.

I usually make a double batch but here is a single batch recipe:

28oz Whole Peeled Tomatoes, Crushed etc.
1/2 Onion Quartered
4 Tablespoons of Butter (you could also sub Olive Oil for a vegan option)
1 1/2 cups Broth or Water (I use veggie broth)
1/2 tsp Salt

Melt butter over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large saucepan.

Add onion wedges, water, tomatoes with their juices, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally and add additional salt as needed.
Blend the soup, and then season to taste. You can use a Blender or an Immersion Blender. I use a Blender and blend in 2 batches. I like to remove the center insert of the lid and cover it with a kitchen towel while blending — this helps to release some of the steam and prevents the blender lid from popping off.

If you like Tomato Soup this is a must try recipe. It is also a thicker Tomato Soup that is perfect for those grilled cheese sandwiches.

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Perfect thing to do with those Extra Alta Cucina's?... Tomato Soup.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
There's a technique I learned from Serious Eats a few years back that you can create a faux "cream of" soup with the blended soups by sauteing a little bread at the start, and then during the blending phase, drizzle very slowly olive oil in until you get a color change, usually about 1/4 cup or so - essentially creating an emulsion.  Works excellent with tomato, mushroom, cauliflower, celeriac, general vege soups, etc..  Give it a go if you haven't already :)

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress