A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ooni Karu otw, NY style crust possible?  (Read 612 times)

Offline Seahug

• I Love Pizza!
Ooni Karu otw, NY style crust possible?
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »
I read about the fast heating times of Ooni Karu wfo and ordered it. Delivery is end June but I'm really excited to get it. I haven't ordered the gas attachment ...yet. It seems the gas ovens are most popular but I've always preferred wood/charcoal.   

After watching many Ooni videos, I wonder if it can do a NY crust. It seems the ovens are optimized for Neapolitan. I like Neapolitan well enough but NY is my preferred crust style. I interpret NY as having a crispy bottom but still chewy (vs soft & floppy w char marks). Ooni pizzas seem to have nice outer edges but mostly underdone centers (no leoparding). The small oven size, low ceiling and proximity to fire makes the edges cook/burn very fast.  The karu has a 0.6 in higher ceiling than the koda or Ooni 3. I wonder if this is enough to make a difference. I also wonder if it's possible to control the wood fire enough to get to 650-700f (rather than 900+) so there's time to crisp. I will probably run hot to heat the stone, then bring it to medium when the pizza is in. I've not seen longer than a 2 minute bake on YT.

I have had a 30 inch brick wfo for years. We used to do pizza, bread, chicken/steak, stews. Now we are semi-empty nesters and rarely fire it up. A couple of times a year I will make 30 loaves to give away to friends. Otherwise it's hard to justify a 1 to 1.5 hour firing for a few pizzas. These days just use a baking steel for pizza and dutch ovens for bread.

Anyway would appreciate some pointers ahead of receiving the oven.

Cheers!

Offline Seahug

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ooni Karu otw, NY style crust possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 08:32:43 AM »
From reddit pizza/ooni forums + twitter

For ny style - seems you can regulate heat by turning the damper on chimney or using combo charcoal and wood. Add wood between bakes to blast heat onto stone, then a lower fire for a 3 minute bake rather than 90 secs.

The question now is whether to get the gas burner. Am inclined not to.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress