A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Neapolitan pizza topping ideas?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline --b--

Neapolitan pizza topping ideas?
« on: January 09, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »
Hey guys,, im having some friends over for pizza tomorrow and hoping you might have some ideas for toppings (besides the usual)? ive tried searching here but couldnt find anything sorry - if there is an existing thread please let me know?

ive got a roccbox so im doing neapolitan style... obviously the traditional margherita and pepperoni is easy enough but im hoping for perhaps one or 2 other varieties to wow the guests?

any tips or suggestions welcome,,, thanks!

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
Re: Neapolitan pizza topping ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 04:35:04 PM »
Do a white pizza for one.

something like parmesan cream (Ricotta cheese, milk to loosen it , a lot of parmesan, bit of salt and black pepper) as a base , some fresh mozz, bacon/pancetta and post drizzle of some very good balsamic vinegar. 

Or pumpkin cream as base, mushrooms,post bake with good quality  ham and lots of parmesan.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 04:39:51 PM »
-b-

Several years ago, I came across a pizzeria in NYC that had several different toppings possibilities for Neapolitan style pizzas. The place was called La Pizza Fresca Ristorante, and it adhered to the AVPN standards. From a search I conducted today, it appears that La Pizza Fresca may have closed. So I redid the search to see if I could find a copy of their old menu. That worked. Here is a link to that menu:

https://www.lapizzafresca.com/menu.html

There was also another link in the above menu but I did not study it in detail. That link is:

www.lapizzafresca.com/images/LaPizzaFrescaRistoranteMenu.pd

It looks like there were a lot of other nice items in the La Pizza Fresca menus beyond pizza.

Peter

Offline --b--

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »
oh cool thanks Pete, much appreciated! ill check it out

and thanks too Hanglow.. i was thinking or a white one too...  i might have to google for some actual recipes...

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »
Here are some that I’ve collected;

Korean BBQ- beef short ribs, mozz, scallions, arugula sesame and soy-chili vinaigrette.

Xerxes – Sauteed spinach, feta, mozz, kalamata olives, almonds.

Great Greek -Kalamata olives, banana peppers, bell peppers, feta, mozz,

Funghi – Italian crema, taleggio and/or fontina cheese, carmelized onion, mushrooms.

Olive Oyl – Basil pesto, castelvetrano olives, marinated artichokes, mushrooms & ricotta, finished with a squeeze of lemon and black pepper.

Red Wagon – Soppressata, banana peppers, sausage, chili flakes, finished with fig balsamic.

Roberta's – Tomatoes, mozz, sopressata, mushrooms, garlic, jalapenos

Pizza Tonno- white albacore tuna, olives, capers, sundried tomatoes, red onion, garlic, basil, olive oil, red pepper flakes.

Bestia – NY pizza sauce, WMLM and fresh mozz, fontina cheeese and olive oil post-bake.

Craig – bring rum to a slight boil with craisins or cranberries, then cool and chill.  Mozz, fresh jalapeno, spicy sausage (walnuts), basil, Mike's hot honey and basil post-bake

Jalapeno, roasted corn, mozz, pancetta

Green Valley- zucchini, musrhooms, onions, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives.

Modesto – sausage, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, fresh basil.

Buffalo – spicy chicken, red onion, chopped celery, blue cheese crumbles

Spring Street – meatballs, ricotta, roasted red peppers.

Elorena - Ricotta, Fresh Cherry Tomatoes, Toasted Almonds

Tropeana - Mozzarella di Bufala, Red Onions, Olives, Lemon Zest

Vegas Metro -sesame seeds, sausage, feta, peperoncini, lemon juice, Mike's hot honey

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline --b--

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 04:56:10 PM »
awesome thanks jsaras

do you have any favourites among those?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 04:59:31 PM »
awesome thanks jsaras

do you have any favourites among those?

Red Wagon (with cheap balsamic glaze) and Roberta’s.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »
-b-

After I posted, I found a place where you can see photos of several of the pizzas that La Pizza Fresca made. The photos can be seen at:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/la-pizza-fresca-ristorante-new-york?select=NPDdTMIskUkHFEFlNtzRsw

The pizza did close and it was reported that they were moving to a new location but I could not confirm that.

To add to the foregoing, a little over fifteen years ago, I proposed a method for identifying toppings possibilities for the Neapolitan style of pizza, at Reply 2 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=603.msg5776#msg5776

Seeing that you appear to be in Australia, you can identify pizzerias in Australia that have the AVPN blessing by going to https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/en/ and entering Australia into the country search box.

As one such example in Australia, see Mozzarella Bar in Melbourne:

https://c1e57971-5281-4e86-b3ae-27a388a588c8.filesusr.com/ugd/401a47_f2988006fbd14eaa843eca3d530b942d.pdf

Peter

Offline --b--

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 05:48:23 PM »
Red Wagon (with cheap balsamic glaze) and Roberta’s.

thanks mate, i did actually really like the look of Roberta's too. ill give it a go, thanks!

Offline --b--

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »
Seeing that you appear to be in Australia, you can identify pizzerias in Australia that have the AVPN blessing by going to https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/en/ and entering Australia into the country search box.

As one such example in Australia, see Mozzarella Bar in Melbourne:

https://c1e57971-5281-4e86-b3ae-27a388a588c8.filesusr.com/ugd/401a47_f2988006fbd14eaa843eca3d530b942d.pdf

Peter

oh thanks Pete that is great, i had a look at that Melbourne menu and some great ideas there!

out of interest, do you ever do bianco pizzas and do you have a recipe for the white sauce?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »
out of interest, do you ever do bianco pizzas and do you have a recipe for the white sauce?
-b-

I have not done much with bianca pizzas but I am sure that there are recipes for white sauce on the forum. Hopefully, members will provide recipes for white sauces or lead you to them.

Peter

Offline --b--

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 06:00:32 PM »
thanks pete, ill go on a hunt!

two i found on the menu of that melbourne place are:

REGGIO –  motz cheese, ham, mushrooms, olives

Positano: motz cheese, hot salami, goats cheese, pesto

and the one above from jsaras:

Roberta's – Tomatoes, mozz, sopressata, mushrooms, garlic, jalapenos

i think im pretty set to try a few new things :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »
-b-

We perhaps overwhelmed you with ideas but that is what often happens on the forum, for better or worse.

Peter

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 06:18:42 PM »
I have 2 methods I use when looking for inspiration both involving Google . . .I search for Neapolitan pizza and images, or click on the images button right below the search result. You will be met with pages of images, many with descriptions or links to sites. Last find was Ciro Salvo, menu and pictures. The other method I am sure everyone tries - the name of the restaurant and menu, there is usually a resource section on most sites that includes gallery of pics. Tough part is not spending an entire evening looking and tougher still to narrow it down! In my case most often I am looking for 1 or 2 for the next bake with the two of us.

Hope that is of some value, I look forward to your post and to see what you chosen to serve - have fun!
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 07:51:16 PM »
I really like Craig's combination with rum re-hydrated dried cranberries. And when you're done baking, there is a nice glass of cranberry infused rum for the cook. Might have to try that Roberta's one myself.

This is a good thread I have bookmarked with topping combinations:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21870.msg221558#msg221558

Offline nickyr

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 09:24:45 PM »
In case you didn’t have enough ideas aleeady, here’s some stuff from a list I’ve saved that either is or would be good neopolitan:

Red

Tomato sauce, mozzarella, ramps. From Motorino in NYC.

White

Cream sauce, mozzarella, Calabrian chiles, kale (a lot of it), kalamata olives, honey. "Diavolo Dolce" from Panello in Hoboken.

Cream sauce, mozzarella, shaved onions, buttered and toasted bread crumbs, diced roasted butternut squash. "Pumpkin Pie" from Razza in Jersey City.

Cream sauce, mozzarella, escarole, garlic, cannelini beans. From Zuppardi’s in West Haven.

Garlic cream sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, mascarpone, Calabrian chiles, radicchio, black pepper, olive oil.

Beddia’s spring cream sauce with extra garlic, mozzarella, corn, cherry tomatoes, basil, ricotta, olive oil, hard cheese.

Thin layer of “scrambled” eggs mixed with chimichurri sauce, Cabot cheddar cheese, diced red potatoes, chives, mazi hot sauce. "Green Eggs" from Talula’s in Asbury Park.

Mozzarella, Parmesan, red onions, rosemary, garlic, olive oil, black pepper. “The NUBO” from Oak & Rye in Los Gatos.

Offline --b--

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 03:37:02 PM »
thanks for all the input guys

so the pizza night was a success. it was my first attempt at having mates over and cooking 5 pizzas so it was a bit stressful at times lol

ended up doing

- traditional margherita
- pepperoni
- REGGIO –  motz cheese, ham, mushrooms, olives
- and Roberta's – Tomatoes, mozz, sopressata, mushrooms, garlic, jalapenos

all in all a big success! ill try some of the bianco ones next time as im definitely keen to see how they go/

i can highly recommend the Reggio and Robertas styles though, they were a big hit