A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to make Colony Grill stingers and hot oil?  (Read 256 times)

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
How to make Colony Grill stingers and hot oil?
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:18:58 AM »
Colony Grill has two special toppings:

1. Stingers, which I’ve read (and appear to be) are fried whole serrano peppers. Very spicy.
2. Hot oil, which is supposedly the oil in which the stingers are fried. Somewhat spicy.

I tried to make both last night unsuccessfully by deep frying 12-15 serranos in a small pan of canola oil. Frying the peppers at a lower temperature was critical to get them soft but not too burnt, but the skins definitely still browned more than they do at Colony. And the oil was not spicy at all. Bummer.

My best guess for the oil is I need to get some seeds touching the oil, either by slitting the peppers (which could help with softening) or sacrificing a couple.

Curious if anyone else has ideas. Serious Eats just uses chile flakes for their hot oil which seems less exciting: https://slice.seriouseats.com/2010/11/how-to-make-hot-chile-infused-olive-oil-for-pizza.html

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: How to make Colony Grill stingers and hot oil?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:14:40 AM »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 12:54:41 AM »
Wow good warning! Thanks

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 01:10:19 AM »
Certain oils when flavored should be refrigerated or even kept in the freezer the extend safety limits! Commercially produced ones have been made with methods to insure them to be shelf stable, homemade ones need different care and some good reading!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:07:29 AM »
The ct hot oil I’ve had was simply chili flakes in olive oil. Inspired by Craig’s calabrese pepper thread, I mix cento calabrese chili paste with olive oil right before serving and drizzle on pie. Easy and fabulous!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

A D V E R T I S E M E N T