A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My review of the Ooni Koda  (Read 1158 times)

Offline ebpizza

My review of the Ooni Koda
« on: January 12, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
I decided to purchase the Ooni Koda a few days ago after noticing the price increase on their site, all while the old price was still available on Amazon.

I do have the Pizza Party Pizzone but have been looking for a small gas option so that I can make pizza without the ramp up time of a wood oven.

The Adore is more than I wanted to spend on a second oven.

Overall I was impressed with this little oven. Yes there are some expected quirks, you need to tend to the bake, careful not to place the pizza close to the fire guard but overall it was fun to use.

I wouldn’t trade it for my Pizzone but it will be a great option to make pizza without the overhead of a wood oven.

Pizza was 62%, Caputo Chef’s, 90min bulk, 6hr in balls, all room temperature and each ball 250g.

The pizza are about 12 inches wide. Bake times were about just two minutes if you include the time to rotate the pizza.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:57:37 PM by ebpizza »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: My review of the Ooni Koda
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 08:13:08 PM »
Hi,those look real good! i also have a koda and am finding it challenging to balance bake time and a pizza that gets cooked thru. i cooking in around 1 minute. a little over that with the 4 turns. are you baking at full flame? or backing it off so you get that slightly longer bake time? 
i also have the saputo floor and am thinking the oven works better with the stock floor held at 750 degrees. you bottom look perfect. are you temping your floor?

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 08:55:18 PM »
Thanks

I had it at full flame - knob at “9-o’clock”.  It could be your saputo floor. I did have a couple of pizza where the bottoms had uneven browning.

Here are some more pics
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:57:44 PM by ebpizza »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 07:45:32 AM »
  Thanks, one more, how did you time your turns?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 09:32:20 AM »
  Another question the ooni logo straight up is full power. Did you have it at 9:00 if so that has the flame size reduced.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 11:03:53 AM »
I had the knob marker at 9:00 which is full power, see the "Lighting" section in  http://files.ooni.com/product-resources/ooni-koda-essentials-guide.pdf

I didn't have a set time to make the turn, basically the closer to the flam the sooner I would have to turn.  I would also peak in to see if the cornicione had risen.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 11:32:48 AM »
I had the knob marker at 9:00 which is full power, see the "Lighting" section in  http://files.ooni.com/product-resources/ooni-koda-essentials-guide.pdf

I didn't have a set time to make the turn, basically the closer to the flam the sooner I would have to turn.  I would also peak in to see if the cornicione had risen.

Thanks i used the ooni logo for full power and that is up down and the actual marking is at 9:00. thanks for the clarification

Offline CDennis

• Forever Experimenting
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 08:09:09 AM »
I had similar cook problems with my first cook.  Top kinda overcooked, bottom undercooked, and crust...well, not what I wanted it to be.  I preheated for 15 min at 3/4 flame then backed off when I put the pizza in.  Next run (this weekend) will be full power all the way.
I used 60% 00 and two day ferment.  I'll also go to 62% on the next one, just because.

Pizza was edible, but not "pretty"....if that makes sense.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 12:58:22 PM »
I had similar cook problems with my first cook.  Top kinda overcooked, bottom undercooked, and crust...well, not what I wanted it to be.  I preheated for 15 min at 3/4 flame then backed off when I put the pizza in.  Next run (this weekend) will be full power all the way.
I used 60% 00 and two day ferment.  I'll also go to 62% on the next one, just because.

Pizza was edible, but not "pretty"....if that makes sense.

I think full power will help with the bottom. Here are a few from my 2nd use of the oven

Offline stefan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 05:57:02 PM »
I never have problems with undercooked bottoms in the koda. Do you measure the stone temperature? 15 minutes seems not long enough. Instart baking when the stone reaches about 420C in the back, then mostly with full gas power.

Offline PIZZALORD

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »
I also had problems with undercooked bottoms when I first got my Onni Koda. I ended up making some adjustments to my fermentation length and cooking procedure. For the most part my dough is a 24 hour poolish, add the rest of the ingredients and knead till smooth, immediately balled into 250g balls, put into trays to ferment in refrigeration for 4 days, though I have gone as long as 8 days (chars fast at 8 days).

During the preheat of the Onni, I lean a baking sheet in front of the oven to cover about 1/3 of the door. This heats up the stone very nicely, and gets hotter in the middle and the edge near the opening. Once the Pie is in, it's an average 1:10 bake  with 1/4 turns every :20-:25 seconds. I replace the baking sheet to heat the stone back up in between pies for a minute or so.  I have been thinking about adding a turn table and a round stone to cut down on the turns during the bake, but I'll still have to make sure I lift the pie up once or twice to get a good bake.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 12:07:06 PM »
Beautiful pizza. that is a nice tip on getting the floor to heat more evenly. you cover the bottom part of the oven opening. using what?

Offline PIZZALORD

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 02:31:24 AM »
Just a sheet pan leaned against the front of the oven. Be careful if you try it, the flames roll across the top of the oven and try to escape when you do this.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 08:20:58 PM »
3rd time using this oven...

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »
The most challenging aspect of this oven is determining how close you are to the flame when launching the pizza, you really need to keep an eye on what’s going on inside for the entire bake.

Overall I recommend this little oven.

A few more...

wordpress