A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sauce filled calzone problem  (Read 332 times)

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
Sauce filled calzone problem
« on: January 12, 2020, 08:17:34 PM »
Hi Tom,

Im Rangga from Indonesia, new member in this forum.

Im selling calzone, or fried pizza. I would like to know how to improve my calzone.

Each of the calzone is 70 gram pizza dough, flattened with rolling pin into circle shape, 15 cm in diameter. Then brushed with vegetable oil (palm oil). Then I put a half tablespoon of Delmonte tomato sauce. Then some beef burger that has been cut into small pieces. Then I fold and seal the calzone. Proof for 30-45 minutes. Then I fried it.

Here is the recipe :
100% all-purpose flour ("Segitiga Biru" from Bogasari)
55% room temperature water
0.8% instant dry yeast (fermipan)
1.5% salt
0.5% chicken flavor powder
8% sugar
10% palm oil
Some dry oregano and basil

- mix water, flour, yeast, and sugar with hand. Until no dry flour visible.
- rest for 1 hour.
- mix again with salt and oil. Handkneading until smooth. 15-20 minutes.

Then fermented in room temperature for 1 hour. Scaled and balled to 70 gram dough. Rest for 30 minutes. Then I make the calzones.

The problem :
my customer love the tomato sauce filling. It "burst" when they bite the calzone. But Im sure the sauce filling is causing my calzone crumb not rise too much. So the crumb is somewhat dense, although it is still delicious.

Any suggestion appreciated. Thanks a lot.

PS : here is also a picture of my mixer. Its a simple mixer with only ON-OFF button. No speed settings. Using 300 watt of electricity. I would like some suggestion or comment about the mixer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:35:44 PM by calzonemaker »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Sauce filled calzone problem
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 08:40:34 PM »
Try this;
DO NOT brush the skin with oil, instead just brush the bottom and two side edges with water, then apply your filling, fold the top half of the skin down over the bottom half aligning the edges, crimp the edges using finger pressure, transfer the calzones to a baking sheet, cut or tear a vent hole in each calzone, brush with melted butter and bake at 450/ 232C until golden brown. Because of the moisture content of the fillings calzones do not fry well at all. The only exception to this is when the calzones are fried and then finished in the oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
Thanks Tom, I will try that!

I would want to know the principle.. is it to reduce the moisture of the filling? So the water is steamed out of the calzone and the crumb will bake well?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
Thanks Tom, I will try that!

I would want to know the principle.. is it to reduce the moisture of the filling? So the water is steamed out of the calzone and the crumb will bake well?
have you ever baked an apple pie?  🤗
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 09:46:27 PM »
I havent yet baked any pie! Actually my oven is not too good. It is an oven that is put on the gas stove. I think the heat is not so stable. So I used to fry every dough I make.. whether it is donut, calzone, chocolate filled bread, etc.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 10:10:05 PM »
We fry our "panzerottis" in our regular pizza dough here at work... the dough is FULLY proofed then stretched like you would a pizza, filled and deep-fried and served with a SIDE of sauce. No sauce inside. Our panzerottis fry up BEAUTIFULLY. I will see if I can post a picture.

Offline calzonemaker

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 10:32:16 PM »
Qwertyjuan
How much is the absorption rate? Do you use oil in the dough? What about the yeast amount?

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 02:19:20 AM »
Qwertyjuan
How much is the absorption rate? Do you use oil in the dough? What about the yeast amount?

68% Hydration
2% oil
.4% yeast

wordpress