A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Help me improve at Gjelina-style pizza on a Pizza Party Ardore (incl. photos)  (Read 148 times)

Offline tellure

• I Love Pizza!
Crossposted from the dough-making subforum:

I'm a real newbie when it comes to dough and pizza making but Gjelina in Venice, CA is one of my two favorite pizza places in LA (the other being Pizzana in Brentwood) so I decided to give their dough recipe a try: https://forward.com/food/333170/gjelina-pizza-dough/

Here's a link to the photos I took documenting the process (seems like this forum only allows 8 attachments and I haven't figured out how to embed photos in the post).  Note that I doubled the recipe and froze the extra dough balls: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YyiigoT4nd-oIL0fdqWBRXkG9Sm1Ef3V

Overall I was happy with how it turned out as a first attempt but there's a lot of room for improvement.  I used Fleischmann's fresh compressed yeast cubes (although these had sat in my fridge for a week after I bought them so maybe not as fresh as they could be) and also did a much longer cold proof (5.5 days vs. the 1-2.5 days recommended) as I didn't have time during the week to make the pizza.

What worked:
>> Crust on the first pizza (Margherita with dollops of spicy Zoug sauce from Trader Joe's) was nice and airy and browned / blackened well.  This was getting into the ballpark of the crust at Gjelina but still not quite as airy as theirs.
>> Bottom of the first pizza was nicely spotted, although maybe a little bit too burned in spots? (stone temp was ~700F when it went on in my Pizza Party Ardore oven)
>> It stretched fairly well and was easy to handle.  I was going for oblong pizza shapes BTW since they fit better in my Ardore oven.

What didn't work so well:
>>Middle of the first pizza was too thick.  I'm going for a very thin crust in the middle (a la Gjelina / Pizzana) and although this middle was quite airy which was good it was about 3/8" or 1cm thick.  I think I needed to stretch it a lot thinner.. I was just afraid of breaking it since I'm also quite a noob at stretching dough.
>> Not as many leopard spots / bubbles on the outer crust as I'd like
>> Second pizza (White sauce / Kale / Goat Cheese / Mozza) had a crust that was a lot less airy, a bit too chewy/dense, and also a lot less browned on the bottom than the first. I think the stone in the Ardore oven loses a lot of heat during the first cook - stone temp was 580F when the second pizza went on.  In retrospect I think I should have waited and let it heat up but I was afraid of the second pizza sticking to the peel.  Does anyone else wait between cooks to let the stone temp come back up?

Stuff I'm thinking of trying next:
--> Shorter cold proof, in the range of the recommended time (1-2.5 days)
--> Stretch the dough more to get a thinner bottom
--> Maybe try and find some fresher yeast
--> Wait til stone temp is back ~700F before second cook

Thoughts / suggestions?  Thanks for any help!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress