A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cold fermenting in plastic bags.  (Read 548 times)

Offline Gluten4punishment

• I Love Pizza!
Cold fermenting in plastic bags.
« on: January 17, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
Can someone please explain the entire process of cold fermenting using plastic storage bags? Thanks

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Cold fermenting in plastic bags.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »
Tom, The Dough Doctor, has posted this in the past.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34523.msg343581#msg343581

For me, as my dough balls got bigger, they seemed to expand into a corner and come out in a shape that was hard for me to stretch. Didnt have a problem until the dough ball crossed the 375/400 gram ballpark. Cant remember where I saw it, but I started putting a corner over the dough ball like a little dunce cap.  So, light oil to the dough, into the bag, one twist the extra plastic and tuck it under the dough. Might get a little bit of condensation in the dunce cap, but I haven't noticed any negative effects.

Also, the bags can be reused. I keep them in a container in the fridge.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 11:54:10 AM »
Tom, The Dough Doctor, has posted this in the past.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34523.msg343581#msg343581

For me, as my dough balls got bigger, they seemed to expand into a corner and come out in a shape that was hard for me to stretch. Didnt have a problem until the dough ball crossed the 375/400 gram ballpark. Cant remember where I saw it, but I started putting a corner over the dough ball like a little dunce cap.  So, light oil to the dough, into the bag, one twist the extra plastic and tuck it under the dough. Might get a little bit of condensation in the dunce cap, but I haven't noticed any negative effects.

Also, the bags can be reused. I keep them in a container in the fridge.

They donít lose their shape as they expand? Do you leave room for that?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »
They donít lose their shape as they expand? Do you leave room for that?
In my experience, a large dough ball just dropped in a bag would lose its shape as it expands. The dunce hat thing seems to have fixed it for me. I found another picture pre-ferment but I dont have any photos just before stretching on my phone. I feel like my dough process gets much less than a doubling. Maybe closer to 1.5 and a good portion is during the 2 to 3 hours the dough is out of the fridge warming up to 50-60 degrees F before stretching.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 01:25:29 PM »
The procedure is very simple, immediately after mixing scale and ball the dough, lightly oil each dough ball and drop into individual plastic bread/bread type bags (DO NOT USE ZIP LOCK BAGS), pull the bag snug to the dough ball, twist the open end to form a pony tail and tuck the pony tail under the dough ball as you place it in the fridge. When ready to use, remove from fridge and allow to warm AT, repeat AT, NOT TO, room temperature until the internal ball temperature reaches 50 to 60F, then roll the bag down around the dough ball and invert it over a floured surface, the dough ball will fall free from the bag inverting the bag as it does so. Flour the entire dough ball and open by your preferred method. Used bags can be stored in a container or another bag in the fridge and reused many times if desired.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »
The procedure is very simple, immediately after mixing scale and ball the dough, lightly oil each dough ball and drop into individual plastic bread/bread type bags (DO NOT USE ZIP LOCK BAGS), pull the bag snug to the dough ball, twist the open end to form a pony tail and tuck the pony tail under the dough ball as you place it in the fridge. When ready to use, remove from fridge and allow to warm AT, repeat AT, NOT TO, room temperature until the internal ball temperature reaches 50 to 60F, then roll the bag down around the dough ball and invert it over a floured surface, the dough ball will fall free from the bag inverting the bag as it does so. Flour the entire dough ball and open by your preferred method. Used bags can be stored in a container or another bag in the fridge and reused many times if desired.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
Thank you Tom, got it

wordpress