A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Business planning for new shop  (Read 855 times)

Offline JimboGibson

• Me and pizza -we go way back!
Business planning for new shop
« on: February 21, 2020, 06:55:24 AM »
Hello Everybody  ;D

So I eventually am going to open up shop so I am now going to start the process of planning it out. I took some accounting classes in college back in the day and I learned the importance of having a well sound out business plan.

Can any shop owners share with us what type of business plan you used to get started. Are there special ones just for restaurant owners or any good templates out there.

Thank you very much !
push the limits of your pizza

Offline Pizza Baker

• I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
Re: Business planning for new shop
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 08:24:58 AM »
Check out perfectingpizza.com.
Jim

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 11:34:05 AM »
Also check out your state SBA (Small Business Assn.) to see what kind of assistance they can provide. We used to have a program called KVAC (Kansas Value Added Center), it was a state funded association operated through Kansas State University comprised of volunteer and retired business people whose sole purpose was to assist new start up businesses in the state of Kansas. All at no charge to the client. We were paid a token stipend for our time through the KVAC program. I don't know if New York state has anything like this but from all the hype I hear from N.Y. about a "business friendly" environment I would think that they would have something similar in place.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:02:46 PM »
I've started businesses, bought a business and had an accounting background. Best advice I can give you is get a job, at a Pizza restaurant if you haven't already done so. You will be getting paid to learn what goes on. If it is well run you learn what to do, if it is poorly run you learn what not to do. If you happen to work at a place with ownership near retirement maybe you can get a buying opportunity. It is a total win for you in many ways.

You might find after a period of time that it isn't really what you want or you might be in love with the process.

Good luck!!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »
On another forum where I have been active for many years people speak highly of SCORE. They provide mentors at no cost using experienced (retired I think) people of many different business backgrounds.  They also have templates for business plans (link below). Iím not sure about financing but think they can provide help finding it.

From my own experience: donít forget to include a wage for yourself and each sale needs to contribute something additional to the business (marginal contribution to overhead and profit). Otherwise you are just purchasing a job. Good luck to you!

https://www.score.org/resource/business-planning-financial-statements-template-gallery?gclid=Cj0KCQiAv8PyBRDMARIsAFo4wK1rBf_j9754z2th1QuXRKVhHgKZJyt8cWZ0q0j6BOgSY4Sa0Z9YcOIaAqZUEALw_wcB
-Tony

Offline JimboGibson

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »
Thanks All

Offline JimboGibson

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 11:35:45 AM »
On another forum where I have been active for many years people speak highly of SCORE. They provide mentors at no cost using experienced (retired I think) people of many different business backgrounds.  They also have templates for business plans (link below). Iím not sure about financing but think they can provide help finding it.

From my own experience: donít forget to include a wage for yourself and each sale needs to contribute something additional to the business (marginal contribution to overhead and profit). Otherwise you are just purchasing a job. Good luck to you!

https://www.score.org/resource/business-planning-financial-statements-template-gallery?gclid=Cj0KCQiAv8PyBRDMARIsAFo4wK1rBf_j9754z2th1QuXRKVhHgKZJyt8cWZ0q0j6BOgSY4Sa0Z9YcOIaAqZUEALw_wcB

Thank you, looked at the templates , they are very helpful, I will be using them thanks again

Offline JimboGibson

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
I've started businesses, bought a business and had an accounting background. Best advice I can give you is get a job, at a Pizza restaurant if you haven't already done so. You will be getting paid to learn what goes on. If it is well run you learn what to do, if it is poorly run you learn what not to do. If you happen to work at a place with ownership near retirement maybe you can get a buying opportunity. It is a total win for you in many ways.

You might find after a period of time that it isn't really what you want or you might be in love with the process.

Good luck!!
That is a great idea if I can find an old timer , i know there are websites that post business selling so maybe i can look their, yea I worked at dominoes for a few years and ran a restaurant in center city Philly for 5 years so I know what im in for , lol, hardest part i had was finding employees but that was back in the day when there was no job websites so im imagining its easier these days. thanks again for your advise

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 11:40:13 AM »
Thank you, looked at the templates , they are very helpful, I will be using them thanks again
Glad to hear it! Best of luck you.
-Tony

Offline JimboGibson

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 11:41:57 AM »
Also check out your state SBA (Small Business Assn.) to see what kind of assistance they can provide. We used to have a program called KVAC (Kansas Value Added Center), it was a state funded association operated through Kansas State University comprised of volunteer and retired business people whose sole purpose was to assist new start up businesses in the state of Kansas. All at no charge to the client. We were paid a token stipend for our time through the KVAC program. I don't know if New York state has anything like this but from all the hype I hear from N.Y. about a "business friendly" environment I would think that they would have something similar in place.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
I will totally look into this, I work at a bank now and I know of some free programs that are partnered with the bank, I will look into them thanks DD

Offline JimboGibson

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
Check out perfectingpizza.com.
For 25$ a month I will definitely give this a try thanks

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 02:41:13 PM »
Ive done a business plan for my place and I have used SCORE for an other business I started.
Have a Dangerous day!

ďThey say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.Ē  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »
hardest part i had was finding employees but that was back in the day when there was no job websites so im imagining its easier these days.

I can almost guarantee that this is still the hardest part.

wordpress