A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Petit Trois  (Read 1938 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Petit Trois
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »
No pizza here but really good food. Kitty corner from Osteria Mozza, this tiny spot puts out really good food.  A seat at the bar will get you a great cooking show. Sorry, we ate the escargot before I thought to take the photo.  :-D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:22:45 PM by HansB »
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Petit Trois
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »
Looks like a great find!
-Tony

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »
That's one of  Ludo Lefebvre's places. Great food

https://www.ludolefebvre.com/
Practice makes pizza

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 05:58:05 PM »
That's one of  Ludo Lefebvre's places. Great food

https://www.ludolefebvre.com/
Looks like a great find!

Yep, checkout Mind of a Chef, season 5.
Hans

Offline Satyen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 06:33:17 PM »
That omelette looks proppa

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 08:22:45 PM »
That omelette looks proppa

Yes, it does.

For just the omelet: ($18 USD + 18% service charge) + say 20% tip = (18*1.18)*1.20 = (21.24) * 1.20 = $24.4 USD for a two or three egg omelet with some greens on the side. Taxes not included.  Sorry, I know I can do as good a job here at home (with a friends backyard eggs, yum) for like a couple of bucks, max.  What BS.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
Yes, it does.

For just the omelet: ($18 USD + 18% service charge) + say 20% tip = (18*1.18)*1.20 = (21.24) * 1.20 = $24.4 USD for a two or three egg omelet with some greens on the side. Taxes not included.  Sorry, I know I can do as good a job here at home (with a friends backyard eggs, yum) for like a couple of bucks, max.  What BS.

It was worth every penny!
Hans

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 10:09:17 PM »
Yes, it does.

You could make many restaurant dishes for a couple of bucks. Doesn’t mean it’s not worth going out to eat.
Quote from: HansB on Yesterday at 07:19:39 AM
“You only need to rotate it if it needs to be rotated.“

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 10:27:04 PM »
You could make many restaurant dishes for a couple of bucks. Doesn’t mean it’s not worth going out to eat.

That is very true.  But come on, $25 for a two or three egg omelet?  Takes maybe one minute to cook with a pat of butter?  Sorry, no way.  I hope they provided an entire in house baked baguette with it.  If you think a $25 omelet is worth it, then a loaf of your wonderful bread should be going for $75 - $100.

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 11:49:09 PM »
That is very true.  But come on, $25 for a two or three egg omelet?  Takes maybe one minute to cook with a pat of butter?  Sorry, no way.  I hope they provided an entire in house baked baguette with it.  If you think a $25 omelet is worth it, then a loaf of your wonderful bread should be going for $75 - $100.

Hans ate it and said it was worth it so we’ll have to defer to him there. I think having a perfect omelet after eating some escargot in a cool place makes the fact that the omelet is $25 not matter as much.
I wish I could charge $100 a loaf! Even 8 bucks seems a little high and I offer nothing but the inconvenience of coming to my house to get it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:53:08 PM by timgiuffi »

Offline timgiuffi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 12:07:42 AM »
I have a funny story involving an omelet. My first restaurant job was at the Four Seasons Hotel in Philadelphia. Gene Simmons came in one afternoon and made a fuss because he wanted to sit at table set up for afternoon tea service. After saying he would buy the hotel and fire everyone, the manager sat him at a tea table. He ordered an omelet (probably $15) and asked for it to be cooked like one you would get in a diner.
Denny, the sous chef for this part of the restaurant (and a complete dick), decided to take the ticket. He made a perfect French omelet and personally delivered it to Gene Simmons who sent it right back saying he wanted a diner omelet. Denny tried two more times and Gene sent them both back. His drinks were comped, he left the waitress $20 and on his way out he slipped a piece of paper onto the table of a woman dining by herself. 
Made for an eventful afternoon.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »

That omelet took much longer than a minute to cook. It’s an art making a proper omelet. And the baguette was extra.  :P
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 12:10:27 PM »
I waited on tables through college and grad school at a high end steak house, all the interesting stories are around the rich and famous and their various ridiculous demands. In the end, it helped me realize that I wasn’t built for interactions with the general public.

As for cost at restaurants, IMO at some point even the lowliest of food becomes art and is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  I’ve happily paid $30 for 50 cents worth of pasta.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:58:20 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 01:28:16 PM »
Unless Hans has been reckless about how he spends his money, I would say that he is nicely climbing the wealth ladder, at least according this article that I came across recently  ;D:

https://ofdollarsanddata.com/climbing-the-wealth-ladder/

Peter

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 02:16:39 PM »
I wonder if the author really believes this: "More importantly though, the best way to climb the wealth ladder is to spend money according to your level"

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »
Our problem when eating out typically doesn't have much to do with the price. We cook so well that we are normally disappointed with a lot of what we order even at the few higher end places we go to.

My wife would rather have me cook for her than go out.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 06:26:50 PM »
I wonder if the author really believes this: "More importantly though, the best way to climb the wealth ladder is to spend money according to your level"
QD,

I took Nick Maggiulli's comment in his article that you quoted above to mean that one should not spend above their level. So, for example, a person living paycheck to paycheck should not spend recklessly on a high cost trip or vacation.

I can also personally relate to some of the points that Maggiulli makes in his article. For example, if I purchase an item at the supermarket at a cost A and later I see that the same item was increased to a cost 1.5A, which actually happens quite often, I think twice about buying the article at the increased price even though I do not live "paycheck to paycheck". It has taken me a long time to stop worrying about such trivial matters. Likewise for restaurant meals. I think my mindset on such matters stems from the fact that I grew up in low income household and saw what my parents went through. Also, I have managed my own money since I was 13, starting at about zero, and had to pinch pennies for a good many years. I also taught myself how to invest, and that eventually was a big help once I got jobs that paid decent money. But my thrift gene remains and I always look at what things cost and what they mean to me. In a way, how I view things is like the Japanese kakeibo method of saving money as described, for example, in this article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/08/how-this-japanese-method-of-saving-money-changed-my-lifeand-made-me-richer.html

Peter

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 01:07:23 AM »
I'm not wealthy by any stretch but when we do a get away trip I don't mind spending $120 for a very good meal. Also, I'm just as happy eating $3 amazing dumplings at Lan Zhou Handmade Noodles in NYC. Everyone has their priorities.

Peter, the Japanese method looks like a great way to avoid wasteful spending.
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 07:47:09 AM »
I have a funny story involving an omelet. My first restaurant job was at the Four Seasons Hotel in Philadelphia. Gene Simmons came in one afternoon and made a fuss because he wanted to sit at table set up for afternoon tea service. After saying he would buy the hotel and fire everyone, the manager sat him at a tea table. He ordered an omelet (probably $15) and asked for it to be cooked like one you would get in a diner.
Denny, the sous chef for this part of the restaurant (and a complete dick), decided to take the ticket. He made a perfect French omelet and personally delivered it to Gene Simmons who sent it right back saying he wanted a diner omelet. Denny tried two more times and Gene sent them both back. His drinks were comped, he left the waitress $20 and on his way out he slipped a piece of paper onto the table of a woman dining by herself. 
Made for an eventful afternoon.
This Gene Simmons? That is a good story.

-Tony

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »
That omelet took much longer than a minute to cook. It’s an art making a proper omelet. And the baguette was extra.  :P

True that on omelet making. Four or five weeks ago, I bought an 8-inch non-stick pan dedicated to omelets.  Still a work in progress.

I hope you didn't take my comment on the prices as some sort of personal slam. It certainly wasn't meant that way. Maybe I'm turning into an old curmudgeon before my own eyes!