A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Any experience with the Organic Tipo 0 caputo flour that G. Sorbillo recommends?  (Read 316 times)

Offline niko

• I Love Pizza!
After watching the video of Gino Sorbillo's recipe on ItaliaSquisita, what obviously stuck out the most, was the use of Caputo's organic Tipo 0 flour, which he seems extremely fond of, meintioning it multiple times throughout the video. So I wondered, did anyone on here ever try this one and if so, what are your experiences? I'm curious.

(Video in question: )

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!

After watching the video of Gino Sorbillo's recipe on ItaliaSquisita, what obviously stuck out the most, was the use of Caputo's organic Tipo 0 flour, which he seems extremely fond of, meintioning it multiple times throughout the video. So I wondered, did anyone on here ever try this one and if so, what are your experiences? I'm curious.

(Video in question: )

I used Caputo Pizzeria exclusively for a while, but last year that very video inspired me to try my hands on the Biologica flour. Like you, I was very curious about it after having seen how emphatically Mr Sorbillo promotes the product in this video.

In my experience, after going through a 25 kg sack of the stuff:

It's a weaker flour than Pizzeria, which makes it better suited for shorter fermentations. I like 10-20 hours for this flour better than 24-48 hours.

In my experience with my workflow, the crust of a 100% Biologica dough develops a very thin and slightly crisp outer layer, compared to Pizzeria. Some days I cursed this, other days I welcomed it.

I believe they use a blend of flours at Sorbillo, i.e. not necessarily the 100% Biologica recipe from the video. This is based on reading their menu in Milan (and also my own opinion).

After initial disapointment and having spent some effort getting to know the flour, I really like it. I will not be using it as my main flour but it really works great when doing (relatively) short fermentations.

Offline niko

• I Love Pizza!

I used Caputo Pizzeria exclusively for a while, but last year that very video inspired me to try my hands on the Biologica flour. Like you, I was very curious about it after having seen how emphatically Mr Sorbillo promotes the product in this video.

In my experience, after going through a 25 kg sack of the stuff:

It's a weaker flour than Pizzeria, which makes it better suited for shorter fermentations. I like 10-20 hours for this flour better than 24-48 hours.

In my experience with my workflow, the crust of a 100% Biologica dough develops a very thin and slightly crisp outer layer, compared to Pizzeria. Some days I cursed this, other days I welcomed it.

I believe they use a blend of flours at Sorbillo, i.e. not necessarily the 100% Biologica recipe from the video. This is based on reading their menu in Milan (and also my own opinion).

After initial disapointment and having spent some effort getting to know the flour, I really like it. I will not be using it as my main flour but it really works great when doing (relatively) short fermentations.

Thanks for that thorough review! I also have been at Sorbillos recently (the original one in Naples) and yes, indeed the menu seemed to say that they mix it with 00 flour and 0 flour.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T