A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New pivetti flour  (Read 314 times)

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
New pivetti flour
« on: January 16, 2020, 07:31:08 PM »
Hi Doc,
I just got a 25kg bag of a newer pivetti flour (Triticum tipo 1) which is semi whole wheat, they remove the outside of the grain and stoneground everything else. As per company it is suitable for pizza baking. Have you worked with this flour yet or do you know anyone that has used it? I guess I will need to use a higher hydration due to the semi whole wheat part.
Thanks so much,
Elchimi

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: New pivetti flour
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 01:00:15 AM »
No, I have not worked with that particular flour. I have never heard of a semi-whole-wheat flour. When the outer layer of the wheat berry is removed (that is what we call bran) the remainder is endosperm aka white flour after milling. There is such a thing as long extraction flour which contains a bit more bran as well as ash content but it is a long call from being "semi-whole-wheat".
Whole wheat flour contains roughly 20% bran, do you have any idea of the bran content of this flour? Since they say it contains bran it will require a higher dough absorption, my guess might be in the 70 to 72% range? To allow for hydration of the bran I would advise using an autolyse with this flour. Just all of the flour + all of the water, mix together and allow to hydrate for 1-hour, then add remainder of ingredients and mix together as a dough, be sure to mix it JUST until it starts to smooth out, DO NOT OVER MIX THE DOUGH as doughs containing high levels of bran do not tolerate over mixing well at all.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 01:15:31 AM »
I think Autolyse is a good idea, I made a dough with 70% hydration and a wet starter, seems to be a bit wet IMO but let’s see how it turns out tomorrow.

Here’s the description of the flour from Pivetti web site:

TRITICUM TYPE 1
THE EVOLUTION OF STONE MILLING

Hulled soft wheat flour type “1”

Molini Pivetti’s new DECORTEC stone milling technology provides a gentle grinding action that preserves the most valuable parts of the wheat kernel.

In a single processing step, it produces a whole grain flour that is rich in the most valuable parts of this precious grain.

A first hulling process removes the surface layers of the kernel, eliminating its less noble parts, i.e. the outermost leaves.

This makes our flour wholesome.

During the second hulling step the innermost bran layers of the kernel are selected. These layers are the richest in vitamins, proteins, minerals, antioxidants and fibres, which are all elements contained in the aleurone layer.

The resulting flour has a stronger flavour, golden colour and is rich in fibres.

Ideal for pizza, bread and pastries

W: 330-350
Dietary fibre: 6% Minimum

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:40:56 PM »
It sounds as if they might also be including the wheat germ too, if this is the case I would highly recommend keeping the flour refrigerated or frozen as germ oil will rancidify rather quickly. This can also be true for whole-wheat flours too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 09:46:18 AM »
Thanks for the advise Dough Doctor!
The pizza turned out quite well for my level of expertise. Next time I do more autolyse and may have to let it sit a bit longer.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T