A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: cheese blends  (Read 523 times)

Offline getchai

cheese blends
« on: January 25, 2020, 07:17:41 PM »
I generally use straight mozzarella though I'm looking for a change. I know there are cheeses I like from restaurants though I don't know what they are. I'm looking for some suggestions. Are there common cheese blends that are used in restaurants or even personal favorites?

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: cheese blends
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:35:45 PM »
I prefer whole milk sliced Provolone to Mozz. If I am going to go with mushrooms, garlic, onions or similar I like to use Comte or similar cheeses. There are so many choices that it is best to just experiment. Make two pizzas at a time and one is your standard cheese you like which serves as a back up to a failure. I recently did a pizza with Emmental cheese which is killer on a sandwich but was slab-like on pizza, just didn't want to melt.

Offline OHpizzaguy

• Quest for the perfect pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »
I typically go with a mozzarella provolone blend from my local family grocer (pre-shredded makes it a no-brainer).  At times Iíll mix in a little imported sharp provolone also which gives it a little more bite.  If you like a little color, go with some finely shredded cheddar or Colby jack, Iíve even used pepper jack for a little kick.  Itís your pie, dress it however you like until you find a blend that works for you & those youíre making for.
Pizza brings people together!

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 11:48:59 AM »
I mostly use Fontina and throw some small shards of low moisture mozzarella on top, some finely shredded Parmesian+Romano. 

I sometimes like a pizza with only normal mozzarella, a soupier output, but good nonetheless.

Always on the lookout for other cheese combos though.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 12:06:09 PM »
Nothing special but just a good cheese flavor which I personally think is an improvement over just plain mozzarella is a blend consisting of 80% Grande WM mozzarella + 15% Parmesan and 5% Romano. After that, "the world is your oyster", begin experimenting with different cheeses to find what YOU like best for YOUR pizzas.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »
Nothing special but just a good cheese flavor which I personally think is an improvement over just plain mozzarella is a blend consisting of 80% Grande WM mozzarella + 15% Parmesan and 5% Romano. After that, "the world is your oyster", begin experimenting with different cheeses to find what YOU like best for YOUR pizzas.

Recently threw some Costco aged gouda into a mozzarella/parm blend. Really special.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »

That would double the cost of my pizzas.
John

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 10:47:03 PM »
Recently threw some Costco aged gouda into a mozzarella/parm blend. Really special.
Just used the Aged Gouda with Provolone tonight also with Pepperoni, pesto, tomato sauce and a splash Hot Honey.

I'd call out the Honey & the Gouda as having the most impact.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 01:50:20 AM »
We often use emmental or cantal in France. I love it! (Pizza_not_war, some brands don't melt but kind of dry and indeed are not good for pizza)
Emmental is also good when reheating, while mozzarella IMO doesn't have any seducing power anymore...

I also like gouda on the pizza. But it's only the 3rd position.
ďLearn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artistĒ - Pablo Picasso

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 08:32:03 PM »
I have a new favorite gouda from Whole Foods that sounds similar. Itís an hour each way to ďmyĒ WF so Iím not there often. I like to use it with mozzarella/white cheddar, and always a little parm reg. There used to be a member, from Netherlands if memory serves, who posted here often extolling gouda. Itís what got me interested. Interesting guy but I have not seen anything from him in a year or more.
-Tony

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 09:47:11 PM »
Love this gruyere from Costco. Shred like parm and sprinkle on a slice at the table! For now, my favorite cheese, love it sliced too, great on a charcuterie tray, DON'T trim the soft rind, wonderfully nutty and funky!!! :drool:
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 06:09:20 AM »
Love this gruyere from Costco. Shred like parm and sprinkle on a slice at the table! For now, my favorite cheese, love it sliced too, great on a charcuterie tray, DON'T trim the soft rind, wonderfully nutty and funky!!! :drool:
That is a nice nutty cheese. I make a couple fresh pasta spinach dough) dishes, one rolled and one layered, using a mornay sauce made with Gruyere. Itís tricky to do a reheat without breaking the sauce but it can be done.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:11:12 AM by foreplease »
-Tony