A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Serving up pan pizza - soggy crust woes.  (Read 878 times)

Offline gamblersruin

• Supporting Member
  • London, UK!
Serving up pan pizza - soggy crust woes.
« on: January 29, 2020, 05:41:49 AM »
Heya - Will here from the UK, just making pizzas at home for me and my girl.

One of the few issues I'm having with my thicker, pan pizza is service. If the pizza remains in the pan then it gets soft - still delicious but without that crunch you really want.

I've tried serving on a wire cooling tray above the pan - but there's still a bit of softness.

This Saturday I'm planning to bake my pizza, allow it to cool, cutting and then re-heat at dinner time. I've seen that work in the slice shops in NY that I'm trying to re-create the experience of. Is that what most people are doing?

I also feel like it'll be easier when making lots of pizza for guests as I'm not fussing with different times for rises/ensuring browning.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Serving up pan pizza - soggy crust woes.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 11:09:17 AM »
Be sure to remove the pizza from the pan IMMEDIATELY after you remove the pizza from the oven and place it onto a wire cooling rack for a minute or so to allow the toppings to set-up, then transfer to a cutting surface and cut into desired slices, serve immediately.
Additionally, can you share your dough formula as well as the dough management procedure and baking procedure with us? Perhaps there is something there that we can help you with to achieve a crispier crust.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline gamblersruin

• Supporting Member
  • London, UK!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 11:32:10 AM »
Thanks Tom - I think I may be making a mistake in going straight to a cutting board rather than taking a couple of minutes on a rack to let some of the steam out. I'm going to try that out this weekend.

I've been using the following:

Flour      100%
Water   65.00%
IDY Yeast   0.50%
Salt      1.80%
Olive Oil   4.00%

I've also had a similar experience using 0.77% IDY on a shorter, 4 hour surface ferment.

This has given me usually a 22oz ball that I've been using in a 15.5x12" pan - I think that's a thickness of 0.57.

Method is:
  • combine all dry ingredients,
  • stir to combine inwet ingredients for 1-2m
  • knead with dough hook for 8 minutes.
  • remove to oiled bowl and store in fridge for up to 48hr
  • remove from fridge for 1 hour
  • place in oiled baking pan and stretch, leave for 30m and then stretch, repeat and then take a final gentle stretch before topping.
  • top with sliced mozerella, sparing amount of sauce and any toppings.
  • cook for 12-15m in a 280c/520f oven

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 12:02:19 PM »
You might try this for your mixing procedure, put water in mixing bowl first (65F), then add the flour and all of the dry ingredients and mix at low speed just until you don't see any dry flour in the bowl, add the oil and mix at low speed for 1-minute, change to the highest speed your mixer will handle the dough at and mix 8 to 10-minutes, or until the dough just begins to look smooth. then scale/ball and cold ferment for 24 to 48-hours, after CF allow the dough to warm to 55F at room temperature (this is the INTERNAL dough ball temperature), it will take about 90 to 120-minutes. Then proceed with your usual process. Keep us posted.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 12:06:17 PM »
Just to add, when I do a pan or Detroit style, towards the end of the bake I slide out and on to the stone directly for a few minutes. Of course, I am already baking the pan on a preheated stone! Works great for me!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 12:48:57 PM »
Thickness Factor/Dough Loading = dough weight divided by pan surface area in square inches.
15.5 X 12 = 186
22-ounces divided by 186 = 0.1182795
Dough Loading Factor: 0.1182795 or to put it another way, you have 0.1182795-ounces of dough per square inch of pan surface area.

Offline gamblersruin

• Supporting Member
  • London, UK!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 06:14:28 AM »
Heya - reporting back on this.

So the technique Tom suggested had great results for the dough - but my 72 hour proofing period was a bit much. At 48h the dough was beautiful. I'm going to re-try soon but follow instructions better.

I've also realised that some of my problem is that the pans I'm using aren't helping me get my dough out quickly enough. Combination of the height of the pan and potentially me not having seasoned them enough.

I got a much better bake out of the above method - but I still need to refine things. I'm going to try a different pan, slightly more oil and a 48h proof time vs 72.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
Gotta admit, that's a good lookin' pizza! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 05:59:13 PM »
Bake it twice. First time with a little of the sauce only for a few minutes, then take it out of the oven, let it cool off, apply rest of sauce and the toppings, and back in it goes until ready.

Offline gamblersruin

• Supporting Member
  • London, UK!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 04:55:17 AM »
Heya folks - bit of an update here.

Firstly I switched pans - the one you can see in my original post was too short meaning even with a decent season on it, you end up with the edges of the crust sticking to the lip of the pan - so when you need to get it out, it rips/sticks/stresses you out.

In the states you all have sheet pans, but in the UK our baking trays are mixed in terms of depth. The ones I was using came from a set that I thought would be perfect and turned out not to be. So anyway - new pan, a little bit deeper so easy to de-pan. It also allowed me to push my thickness factor up to 0.14 - which is perfect for me.

The steps I followed

1. Cook for 10m at 260c / 500f with fan on and bottom heat.
2. Out of the oven, straight on to a wire rack suspended over a wooden board or void (ie, enough space to let steam off) for 2m
3. Wire rack back back in the oven with the door open for 1m (just to hold the heat and give me a minute to tidy the kitchen up
4. Cut and serve

This lead to a fully cooked pie with a crisp bottom and the toppings all together. I think if I had pepperonis or something on there then I'd maybe use the top heat for that last minute to crisp things up.

Thanks for the help - I've modified my dough making practices as part of this and I'm really happy with what I can do now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:04:09 AM by gamblersruin »