A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: February 2020 Monthly Challenge: Make a pizza you have never baked before  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
There are over a dozen pizza styles (and countless sub-styles) discussed in this forum. Good for you if have attempted every single one. If not, pick one to bake for this month's challenge. If you have tried all of the major categories, take a look at the other types board for ideas.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Great idea for a challenge. Now, I just have to get off my butt and do it.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
Hmmm......

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
I was hoping this would be the topic :-) I just got a deep dish pan for Christmas (it was back ordered so it just arrived) so Iím gonna try one of the malnatiís dough recipes floating around here

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Maybe one of the more obscure styles like turkey and gravy pizza...   ;)
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member

Betty Crocker FTW.
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Mystery Pizzas.  Have tried many of them.   :-D

Norma

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Here's my very first attempt at old school NY tomato pie.

Never ate NY pizza so don't know how authentic it is :)

More details and photos at: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=60134.msg608143#msg608143
Jack

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
Mystery Pizzas.  Have tried many of them.   :-D

Norma
Betty Crocker FTW.

I was going to do a Pide, but the thread has been allowed to become a joke.  Ha Ha Ha...

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
I was going to do a Pide, but the thread has been allowed to become a joke.  Ha Ha Ha...

One man's passion is another man's joke.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline George3960

• I Love Pizza!
Re: February 2020 Monthly Challenge: Make a pizza you have never baked before
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 12:23:20 PM »
Here is a smoked pulled pork barbecue pizza I made for the first time. I used the pork I smoked and my homemade barbecue sauce. My family enjoyed it.

Offline Phony

• Turn up the heat
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 11:09:22 AM »
Nice chakllenge. Actuall I tried to bake 3 new dessert pizza's yesterday.

Apple Crumble
Base of cooked apple, cinamon, brown sugar. Added some crumble for a bite, and topped with custard for some extra flavour.

Pear-Gorgonzola
Base of regular grated cheese, some thin cut red onion. Thin slices of pear and some pinches of gorgonzola.
I believe it was the perfect balance between sweet and savory.

Banana-raspberry
Base of cream chees with grated cocos. Slices of banana and raspberries on top. Finally some optional chocolate.

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 10:49:48 PM »
Nice chakllenge. Actuall I tried to bake 3 new dessert pizza's yesterday.

Apple Crumble
Base of cooked apple, cinamon, brown sugar. Added some crumble for a bite, and topped with custard for some extra flavour.

Pear-Gorgonzola
Base of regular grated cheese, some thin cut red onion. Thin slices of pear and some pinches of gorgonzola.
I believe it was the perfect balance between sweet and savory.

Banana-raspberry
Base of cream chees with grated cocos. Slices of banana and raspberries on top. Finally some optional chocolate.

Wow, really putting the traditional Nutella pizza to shame!

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 10:51:23 PM »
I made my first deep dish pizza using Pythonicís recipe here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30152.0

It was great!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 05:43:51 PM »
This challenge was exactly what I needed to get off my butt and try the left side of my oven Ė before yesterday, I had never done it. The oven floor has two materials. The right side is regular firebrick and the left side is biscotto. It is pretty easy to fall into a pizza rut. I have spent a lot of time trying to dial in my version of the wood fired pizza I ate growing up (serious Pizza Cognition Theory in effect) and now I end up making that with minor tweaks. It can kind of feel like that is the pizza Iím expected to make when the oven gets fired up. So, in all the time I have had a wood oven, this was the first time I banked the coals on the right side of the oven and launched pizza onto the biscotto.

I picked up a bag of Caputo Chef 00 flour. I was going to get an unmalted All purpose but couldnít find one. I combined 600g flour, 376g water, 18g salt and 0.6 g of IDY, did 3 stretch/fold over the course of and hour, made four about 245g balls and let sit in a 60 degreed basement for about 24 hours.

In the end, I think the dough might have been a little under fermented. Maybe colder in the basement than I thought. The dough was definitely the weak link. Could have been some operator error opening them too. Crumb was a little tight. I made 3 Margherita pizzas experimenting with how the mozzarella was cut. Wasnít impressed with a local marketís fresh mozzarella. Tasted like they forgot the salt in the water so I added some salt to 2 of the 3 Margheritas. The other pie was a pepperoni/green olive that gave me a chance to play with my new olive pitter.

Bakes were in the 1:30 to 1:45 range. I forgot to toss in a small log before launching the longer baked pie. After making these Neapolitan pies, I took a little nap, let the oven cool a little and then made a bunch of my usual pies. All in all, a fun day.  Kind of makes me want to get a starter going.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 05:44:38 PM »
Few more pics

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 01:20:22 AM »
Mm! How did the floors compare?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »
Mm! How did the floors compare?
The conductivity at high temperatures is much lower in the biscotto.  During one of my first bakes, I would clear the dome, move the coals onto the biscotto a d let the firebrick side cool to about 650. A small log as needed seemed to keep me in the 620-650 deck temp range. I had forgotten to bring the temp gun outside, thought everything looked good, and put a pizza on the firebrick side. Well the firebrick side was still screaming hot. When I lifted an edge of the pizza with the turning peel to spin it, the remaining peel dust under the pie burst into flame. The crust was still raw in the middle and charred on the outside. At the same temperature (around 900-950 if I remember right) with a good flame on the fire, I think I would be able to reduce the cook time and have some char on the undercarriage but not a Thread of Shame worthy piece of charcoal!

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 02:21:17 PM »
The conductivity at high temperatures is much lower in the biscotto.  During one of my first bakes, I would clear the dome, move the coals onto the biscotto a d let the firebrick side cool to about 650. A small log as needed seemed to keep me in the 620-650 deck temp range. I had forgotten to bring the temp gun outside, thought everything looked good, and put a pizza on the firebrick side. Well the firebrick side was still screaming hot. When I lifted an edge of the pizza with the turning peel to spin it, the remaining peel dust under the pie burst into flame. The crust was still raw in the middle and charred on the outside. At the same temperature (around 900-950 if I remember right) with a good flame on the fire, I think I would be able to reduce the cook time and have some char on the undercarriage but not a Thread of Shame worthy piece of charcoal!
Exciting!

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 11:48:25 PM »
The next pizza I am interested in making is another memberís version of an Auriellioís (Chicago thin). Honestly, it strikes me as having been inspired by something at Aureillioís rather than an attempt to copy it. However, I have tried making various Chicago thins and donít feel that continuing or improving that fits the spirit of what we are challenged to do here for February, 2020.

I have never made a stromboli, nor a successful focaccia, nor an intentional calzone. So, I am thinking of choosing one of those for February.

Jon, I have sensed in your posts over the years that you had the dual floor type you described - what a great idea! I have never been sure but thought you had not used the biscotto side. Again, what a luxury - and great foresight to have built both  into one oven. It is remarkable that, until very recently you had not baked on that side. Hoping you now have Ďthe bugí and will begin enjoying and perfecting pizza from the biscotti side in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 06:21:06 AM by foreplease »
-Tony